DVI and HDMI connected at the same time?

Hi,

First what is the difference, if any, in the video quality of DVI and HDMI? Do they both handle 1080P HD? Also on a PC I am rebuilding I have a decent video card and LCD monitor. Each support 1080p HD and I have both DVI and HDMI cables for them. Is it ok to just keep both of those cables connected, just to switch back and forth to compare maybe?

Thanks,

You can have two connections connected to 2 of the monitors ... I mean DVI: from PC to the DVI monitor.... HDMI: from PC to other HDMI monitor... so you can have multimonitors setup.

If you have 1 monitor, you pick either DVI or HDMI.... either way you want... but it would be too much trouble to switch back and forth on 1 monitor.

There will be no difference in quality, as they are both digital. Digital cables send data in 1s and 0s. It's either on or off :)

Yeah but is there any marked difference in the video quality or capability between the 2?

There will be no difference in quality, as they are both digital. Digital cables send data in 1s and 0s. It's either on or off :)

Ok thanks,

Yeah but is there any marked difference in the video quality or capability between the 2?

I am sorry that I forgot that question about the difference... since the question has been answered for you. Richard is right ... no difference between the connections.

HDMI is DVI with audio if you want to say it simply. The specs are similar that's why you can have a DVI > HDMI cable without any converters or things like that. They just match the PINs but leave off the Audio ones for DVI. So yes, there is no difference in quality at all as they are exactly the same :)

• Like 1

HDMI is DVI with audio if you want to say it simply. The specs are similar that's why you can have a DVI > HDMI cable without any converters or things like that. They just match the PINs but leave off the Audio ones for DVI. So yes, there is no difference in quality at all as they are exactly the same :)

+1 both have their advantages and disadvantages.

HDMI is better because it also carries the audio so if you want to ever hook your PC up to a TV and use its built in speakers then you don't need to try and hook up a separate audio connection.

DVI can depending on type also carry an analogue signal...and the connector has screws so is more secure.

DVI also carries Analog so you can use a DVI to VGA adapter on a DVI port, HDMI is only digital

Not entirly true....only DVI-I (or the uncommon DVI-A) carry analogue. DVI-D doesn't carry an analogue signal.

http://en.wikipedia....isual_Interface

DVI_Connector_Types.svg

+1 I suppose technically HDMI is better because it also carries the audio so if you want to ever hook your PC up to a TV and use its built in speakers then you don't need to try and hook up a separate audio connection.

Not entirly true....only DVI-I (or the uncommon DVI-A) carry analogue. DVI-D doesn't carry an analogue signal.

http://en.wikipedia....isual_Interface

DVI_Connector_Types.svg

If we're talking about GPUs, then there will be a DVI-I port, therefore DVI will carry analog in this scenario

If we're talking about GPUs, then there will be a DVI-I port, therefore DVI will carry analog in this scenario

Not necessarily...I have seen plenty with only DVI-D