I can understand why would the gpu drivers crash, but the network drivers? Just doesn't makes sense and you're the only one that reporting that.

And if you are (not talking to you HawkMan) looking for a job in the PR business, it might be a good time to apply to Ubisoft.

Someone might be fired, because they're terrible at their job: https://twitter.com/UbiTessa/status/478622295662297088 :no:

wasn't so much the network drivers as it was the display driver still crashing.

I tried the 0.7 patch and have to say - WOW - on Ultra, it all plays smoother for me and looks stunning!

Watch_Dogs is interesting in that I've seen people simultaneously claim the game was dumbed down to run on consoles, and also that it's too intensive on PCs and should have been toned down. Turns out that whole unified memory setup on current gen consoles is actually a huge boost over what PCs can do.

You shouldn't explain if this is a mod, or not. You should write about why Ubisoft downgraded the graphics intentionally, without any boosts in performance at all (the mod proves it).

A hint to that answer can be found in "deferredambient.inc.fx":

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=116853350#post116853350

yGCQWdT.jpg

And this picture is misleading as hell, it shows an IF statement but not what the actual variables are, they're defined in a separate file that nobody likes to show.

Edit: Oh yeah, this doesn't mean anything either.

Now people are mad that Ubisoft crippled the PC version intentionally and the gaming media downplays it as just another mod like with Skyrim. Doesn't care at all that the code was only slightly modified from the original unpacked game's code:

1402943413586ngopq.jpg

And this picture is misleading as hell, it shows an IF statement but not what the actual variables are, they're defined in a separate file that nobody likes to show.

Edit: Oh yeah, this doesn't mean anything either.

Who cares what the variables are? The important part that you missed in the first picture, is the bolded comment; which shows the developer's attitude towards one of the platforms.

And doesn't mean anything to who?

I tried the 0.7 patch and have to say - WOW - on Ultra, it all plays smoother for me and looks stunning!

Had any crashing troubles like HawkMan?

I tried this mod out last night.

Whilst I agree that there is a marked improvement in the games appearance, you can also see why they're not in the official product. They're randomly glitchy and generally would not be acceptable in a release product.  There'd have been a huge poopstorm if it went out like that.

I suspect what happened is they were working on better visuals for PC, but then somewhere in the chain of command a decision was made to unify the game across all platforms, which meant playing to the lowest common denominator. So they stopped working on the enhanced visuals before they were completely done.

It gets better with every new version. And you have to remember that only one person working on it, without a team of... what, 1500+ people (Ubisoft Montreal got 2600+ employees according to wikipedia. Only guessing how many worked on Watch_Dogs) to help?

Who cares what the variables are? The important part that you missed in the first picture, is the bolded comment; which shows the developer's attitude towards one of the platforms.

And doesn't mean anything to who?

Well the problem is that the full source code for the shader shows the "PC Only" branch is actually shared with the Xbone and PS4, so instead of "Who cares about the PC" it's more "It's a PC so who cares about doing console optimisations", so it's quite probable the "PC only" branch is actually the higher quality option. (Which we can't know for sure unless we see what the variables are set to)

And the other picture is a bunch of graphical presents for scenes, so pointing out that there was a "E3" setting is about as useful as pointing out there's different lighting settings for indoor areas vs. outdoor areas.

• Like 1

It runs fine at 1080p at high on my PC except when I'm in the middle of some high speed driving, then it does drop frames.  Though my system isn't anything new, I'm still rocking on i7 920 and a HD7870 2GB vid card.  I could probably tweak a few things to make driving smoother but meh, not important atm.

The game is fine, nothing great but it has some good elements to it.  People knock it because they're comparing it to GTA of course.    I'm still playing, 49% done, lots of stuff to do which is what I expect in a Ubisoft game which is why I play them.  I don't want something that's over in 8-12hrs and then forces me to play MP matches to try and get my moneys worth.

Wait, there's a Watch Dogs movie in the works?  Is that for real or just rumor BS?   I honestly don't think they screwed up from a dev point of view, the game was delayed ffs, more then enough time to work out bugs.   I don't know what they gained by taking out these options specially when they pretty much work and again with the delay they could've worked out the bugs and performance issues.

I really think, hate this all you want, that the idea that it has to do with the consoles, PS4 mostly, comes into play.  That exclusivity deal, though nothing new, could actually have something going on we don't know about.  Who really knows, Ubisoft makes money with every PC version they sold anyways, so the idea that they're trying to gimp the PC to get you to buy a PS4 or XB1 version instead makes little sense.  Also, even with these changes the PC version on high or very high settings still looks better than the XB1 and PS4 version, it's not like the changes they made to it made them the same.

If this had come out last year like it was suppose to I could have said that they rushed it and needed more time but it was delayed.  oh well, who knows what's going on outside of Ubisoft.

Wait, there's a Watch Dogs movie in the works?  Is that for real or just rumor BS?   I honestly don't think they screwed up from a dev point of view, the game was delayed ffs, more then enough time to work out bugs.   I don't know what they gained by taking out these options specially when they pretty much work and again with the delay they could've worked out the bugs and performance issues.

I really think, hate this all you want, that the idea that it has to do with the consoles, PS4 mostly, comes into play.  That exclusivity deal, though nothing new, could actually have something going on we don't know about.  Who really knows, Ubisoft makes money with every PC version they sold anyways, so the idea that they're trying to gimp the PC to get you to buy a PS4 or XB1 version instead makes little sense.  Also, even with these changes the PC version on high or very high settings still looks better than the XB1 and PS4 version, it's not like the changes they made to it made them the same.

If this had come out last year like it was suppose to I could have said that they rushed it and needed more time but it was delayed.  oh well, who knows what's going on outside of Ubisoft.

Yes, and Marky Mark will play Aiden apparently.

As for the graphics debate, am consigning myself to gaming at medium settings on my next build, which will be for 4K. As i plan on doing it around Nov or so, i don't expect any graphics cards will be available that i can afford and are also capable of high/ultra 4K. So i don't mind sacrificing effects for resolution at this stage, just to help push us to the next threshold. Sometimes you just have to let the better lighting and shadows go for a while until GPUs come down in price :D

Yes, and Marky Mark will play Aiden apparently.

As for the graphics debate, am consigning myself to gaming at medium settings on my next build, which will be for 4K. As i plan on doing it around Nov or so, i don't expect any graphics cards will be available that i can afford and are also capable of high/ultra 4K. So i don't mind sacrificing effects for resolution at this stage, just to help push us to the next threshold. Sometimes you just have to let the better lighting and shadows go for a while until GPUs come down in price :D

You're going to build before Skylake and DDR4?

• Like 1

You're going to build before Skylake and DDR4?

At this point looks like a yes...already sent for the monitor and the card :|

I know, good points - Skylake, DDR4 and PCIe 4, not to mention HDMI 2.0...those are all true requirements for 4K. You think better to call it off and just wait till mid next year? But who knows what the money situation will be like then :cry:

At this point looks like a yes...already sent for the monitor and the card :|

I know, good points - Skylake, DDR4 and PCIe 4, not to mention HDMI 2.0...those are all true requirements for 4K. You think better to call it off and just wait till mid next year? But who knows what the money situation will be like then :cry:

I suppose you have to purchase when the funds are available. But without a compelling reason, I'd wait. Upgrade maybe your GPU and CPU. I don't think GPUs saturate PCI3 so PCI4 isn't that big, but the new CPUs will be. Much more than now. If you have an i7 there's really no need to upgrade for the past 3 generations. Supposedly the iGPU in skylake will support 4k, but ... I'm not an iGPU fan. Thunderbolt 2, the next SATA, and DDR4 will definitely be worth the wait as well as WiGig.

I suppose you have to purchase when the funds are available. But without a compelling reason, I'd wait. Upgrade maybe your GPU and CPU. I don't think GPUs saturate PCI3 so PCI4 isn't that big, but the new CPUs will be. Much more than now. If you have an i7 there's really no need to upgrade for the past 3 generations. Supposedly the iGPU in skylake will support 4k, but ... I'm not an iGPU fan. Thunderbolt 2, the next SATA, and DDR4 will definitely be worth the wait as well as WiGig.

Thanks for the advice, there's definitely a big part of me that thinks waiting is the right thing to do. Honestly the new build is to satisfy the usual craving and for the sheer joy of it. On a more practical level, won't DDR4 be crazy expensive though well after Skylake launches?

Thanks for the advice, there's definitely a big part of me that thinks waiting is the right thing to do. Honestly the new build is to satisfy the usual craving and for the sheer joy of it. On a more practical level, won't DDR4 be crazy expensive though well after Skylake launches?

Hard to say. It will definitely be expensive initially, particularly the more dense modules (16GB).

Hard to say. It will definitely be expensive initially, particularly the more dense modules (16GB).

This is the thing, when DDR4 launches it will be very pricey, but 16GB will be VERY advisable. The items i ordered haven't shipped yet so i can still cancel :/

But that Samsung screen is really nice for under $700, and i want to play Watch Dogs 2 in 4K :rofl: (to keep things more or less on topic)

And the 280X with 6GB sounds so much sexier than my 7950...and i can currently afford a DIY project, while by my original plan (Oct-Nov) things may be different.

I don't know. Let these be our problems in life, though! Sorry for rambling!

Where is the INI file located for watch_dogs' settings ?

And where can I locate the Mod, to upgrade this crippled game ??

There is no ini file. Its settings inside the encoded game files where they could enable unfinished and somewhat buggy effects and shaders. The flickering headlights is particularly annoying.

• Like 2

Completed the main story, now onto wrapping up the criminal convoys and skill tree. Good game, too bad about the locale, and while the story and acting were good, they were also not special - and compared to the AC games this was quite humorless, which was a letdown compared to Black Flag which I found quite witty and loaded with references. Let's see if Watch Dogs shows up at the summer Steam sale for those still on the fence :D

Bit the bullet and purchased Watch Dogs... Applied the path before i played it so i didn't get to see the capped graphics therefore i'm not sure how big the improvement is but i must say i am absolutely blown away by it. Performance was great and the graphics are insanely detailed and crisp... during the first police chase i pretty much smashed my car up and it was smoking bad, the lighting in and around the smoke particularly the blue police light were stunning, unfortunately didn't get to play much longer but so far very impressed.