The Wii U Will Have 8GB Internal Memory,1.5GB RAM And Other Fun

Maybe if you read the part in the parenthesis, as I didn't feel like counting previous console generations I just added an arbitrary number.

lol...Why would you make up your own numbering system for consoles when there already is one? Maybe you should just use the one in existence instead of confusing others with one you randomly make up?

lol...Why would you make up your own numbering system for consoles when there already is one? Maybe you should just use the one in existence instead of confusing others with one you randomly make up?

because I didn't feel like looking up what generation we are currently on, and because the actual generation number was irrelevant to my point. I also specified in my post that the number was irrelevant, but I guess you'd rather argue a pointless side argument than the actual argument.

because I didn't feel like looking up what generation we are currently on, and because the actual generation number was irrelevant to my point. I also specified in my post that the number was irrelevant, but I guess you'd rather argue a pointless side argument than the actual argument.

Frankly, I couldn't understand your point at all. Probably because you assigned random numbers to it and phrased it in a way which made me think you thought that was the gen number we were at. I'm not trying to argue, I was trying to understand your point. But, to your post:

problem is the Wii is generation 4.2 the othe rnext gens are going to be Generation 5 (just sayign we're at gen 3 now, though we should be a bit higher than that, but it's just a number for simplification)

it's not keeping up with next gen.

What is 4.2? What is 4.2 referencing? Are you saying the Wii is .2 of the generation because it's not as powerful as the 360 and PS3? You're suggesting it shouldn't be considered as much a part of the current gen as its competitors? That's not how the generation system works. If Wii is 4.2, what does that make the PS3 and 360? 4.8/4.9 respectively? PS3 must get a higher point because it is a bit more powerful.

The generation System doesn't use decimal points, as far as I know.

What is 4.2? What is 4.2 referencing? Are you saying the Wii is .2 of the generation because it's not as powerful as the 360 and PS3? You're suggesting it shouldn't be considered as much a part of the current gen as its competitors? That's not how the generation system works. If Wii is 4.2, what does that make the PS3 and 360? 4.8/4.9 respectively? PS3 must get a higher point because it is a bit more powerful.

The generation System doesn't use decimal points, as far as I know.

except the ps3 isnt more powerful. it has a slightly more powerful cpu, though it's not effective for use in games,however the 360 makes up for it with a more powerful gpu and unified memory.

while the wii u technically is next gen is far as generation, it's not next gen in power, which is whas being discussed in the first place. i think you're just being purposely obtuse.

except the ps3 isnt more powerful. it has a slightly more powerful cpu, though it's not effective for use in games,however the 360 makes up for it with a more powerful gpu and unified memory.

while the wii u technically is next gen is far as generation, it's not next gen in power, which is whas being discussed in the first place. i think you're just being purposely obtuse.

*looks at Uncharted games, looks at Last Of Us, looks at MGS, then looks at anything the Xbox 360 has produced*

Yeah, the PS3 is certainly the more powerful machine :p It takes more effort to properly utilize that power, but it can definitely produce more technically demanding games than anything seen on the 360.

And whilst the WiiU likely won't be as powerful as the next PS / Xbox, it's definitely more powerful than this generation - so it's stuck in a nice halfway house somewhere along the road.

How powerful consoles are relative to each other during a release period is irrelevant, they are all part of the same generation. You can't say, for example, the Wii isn't a part of this generation because it isn't as powerful as its competitors. In the same way, you can't say the Wii U won't be part of the next generation because, more than likely, its competitors there too will be more powerful. You're using the word generation (which with regards to consoles usually refers to their release period) as a synonym for power and confusing people.

Plus, you're also speculating on what devs will and won't do when the Wii U competitiors release their consoles. You say they'll all just up an abandon the Wii U because the other consoles will be more powerful. You cannot possibly know how the next generations of consoles are going to play out. The Wii U might be immensely popular and well liked by 3rd party devs and they'll favour the Wii U because it's more profitable to develop for it. They'll still develop for the next PS and Xbox but also put the energy into making Wii U titles compatible even if it isn't as powerful.

I'm not saying that is going to happen, but there is certainly no reason why it couldn't.

Yes, that's what I said.

And as I said. the Wii U will get Triple A titles only while the 360 and PS3 gets them. after that, they're not going to waste the resources downgrading graphcis to the Wii U level .

I can only conclude that you didn't read my post at all.

It'll only get the same Triple A games as the PS4 and Xbox Next in the same way the Wii get the Same Triple A titles the 360 and PS3 does. which is it doesn't get them and the few it does get isn't the same game at all and can hardly be desrcibed as Triple A anymore.

Call of Duty MW3. You were saying?

Call of Duty MW3. You were saying?

That it's nothing like the 360 and PS3 counterparts, low res bad texture low poly models.

but good job comping up with ONE game.

That it's nothing like the 360 and PS3 counterparts, low res bad texture low poly models.

but good job comping up with ONE game.

You said devs wouldn't waste their time. Clearly they will. They're "wasting" their time now making games on the wii u look better already.

It's very much like it's HD counter parts - same levels, same objectives, same set pieces, same audio, same story, same weapons, (arguably more fun gameplay though due to the Wii Remote) - the only difference is lower res graphics. Everything else that made it a *cough* "Triple A" game is still there - and if developers really needed too, they could do the same in the future too with WiiU and the other consoles in it's generation.

It's not a hard job to remove polygons from models, take away costly lighting, shadowing & AA effects, render to a smaller frame buffer, etc - and if the market is there on the WiiU the developers will do it. As long as Nintendo make sure those consumers that make that market that wants those games buy their console.

Epic never stated the wii u couldnt run it just that they wont port the engine to it. Big difference.

Did.

They said UE4 requires a 1 TFLOP capable graphics card, there's no hard figures but from the leaked/rumoured specs of the Wii U the GPU is anywhere from 400-800 GFLOPs which means it can't run it.

Hawkman, by your own example a PS2 would be gen 1.2 (whatever that means) and gamecube would be 1.7 and Xbox would be 1.7/1.8 too. Does that mean the ps2 is a rubbish console that devs won't cater for?

Hawkman, by your own example a PS2 would be gen 1.2 (whatever that means) and gamecube would be 1.7 and Xbox would be 1.7/1.8 too. Does that mean the ps2 is a rubbish console that devs won't cater for?

Why is that, when the PS2 launched it was top of the line. the xbox launched MUCH MUCH later and while it was more powerful the gap wasn't as big.

Either way, I like how you guys are looking so much into the numbers which was just a way to showcase the differences instead of the actual point I was making that the Wii U, compared to the next gen will be severely under powered, just like the Wii was and is.

The Wii U will be a great console for it's purpose, simple entertainment games. but like before it won't be the core gamers and triple A titles choice. and unless people have learnt from the Wii, it will sell a lot and 80% of them will collect dust after 3-5 months, unused. I'll have one year of shingin where it will be the best, then it will be the Wii all over. under powered and gimmicky. But at least this time it'll be worth buying since it'll actually be HD so I can finally play some HD mario won't he big screen again, especially since they're doing a side scrolling proper mario game for it. not the 3D bullcrap.

I haven't been playing on my Wii since Skyward sword. My game time has been between the PC and Wii. I do have a PS3 and that thing is just for Blu-Ray and Netflix. Most online time for the PS3 was street fighter 4 with my friend who recommended the PS3 but we dont really play anymore. Now I wish I never got it and thinking of selling it. Some other PS3 games are good but I think I was good enough with the Wii and PC. I used my Wii and didnt let it just collect dust after a few months as most people are saying on here. Im thinking of getting No more Heros 2 because it is cheap now and The Last Story when it is released.

Why is that, when the PS2 launched it was top of the line. the xbox launched MUCH MUCH later and while it was more powerful the gap wasn't as big.

Either way, I like how you guys are looking so much into the numbers which was just a way to showcase the differences instead of the actual point I was making that the Wii U, compared to the next gen will be severely under powered, just like the Wii was and is.

The Wii U will be a great console for it's purpose, simple entertainment games. but like before it won't be the core gamers and triple A titles choice. and unless people have learnt from the Wii, it will sell a lot and 80% of them will collect dust after 3-5 months, unused. I'll have one year of shingin where it will be the best, then it will be the Wii all over. under powered and gimmicky. But at least this time it'll be worth buying since it'll actually be HD so I can finally play some HD mario won't he big screen again, especially since they're doing a side scrolling proper mario game for it. not the 3D bullcrap.

Please post the specifications (confirmed specifications) of the Playstation 4 and the Next Xbox, showing me will be just as underpowered as the Wii was and I will call it fair game.

Until then, please stop with your inane diatribe and assuming the Wii U will be just as underpowered as the Wii was.

Yeah, you're right. I'm pretty sure that Sony and MS is gonna release a console that's so much more powerful it can run next gen games at slightly better graphics than last gen at 1080...

seriously. Let's just admit that Nintendo isn't doesn't want to be, doesn't need to be, and never will be in the same market segment as MS and Sony, they're doing better in their own market segment than they ever would in direct competition with them. which would also mean they would lose the ability to make money from console #1.

Yeah, you're right. I'm pretty sure that Sony and MS is gonna release a console that's so much more powerful it can run next gen games at slightly better graphics than last gen at 1080...

seriously. Let's just admit that Nintendo isn't doesn't want to be, doesn't need to be, and never will be in the same market segment as MS and Sony, they're doing better in their own market segment than they ever would in direct competition with them. which would also mean they would lose the ability to make money from console #1.

Iwata says developers are currently utilising 'only half Wii U's full potential'

"While existing platforms have engines that development teams have tuned and optimized for six to seven years after their respective launches, the Wii U is a new platform that has slightly different architecture and, since development teams have only just begun development on software for it, they are only at the halfway point to utilising its full potential," he said.

So there ya go. Plenty of power for "Next gen" games.

yeah, and when the twice as powerful PS4 and xbox 720 is released I'm sure they'll be 100% utilized right away huh :rolleyes:

that's a pointless argument. and I doubt the half anyway, 75% is more likely.

yeah, and when the twice as powerful PS4 and xbox 720 is released I'm sure they'll be 100% utilized right away huh :rolleyes:

that's a pointless argument. and I doubt the half anyway, 75% is more likely.

You're becoming more of a joke each passing comment. You're going to tell the guy who runs the company, how much power they're using?

Wii U games won't support two WiiPads at launch

At Nintendo's E3 press conference last week, the house of Mario showed its upcoming Wii U console could support two WiiPads at once. However, that doesn't mean any launch titles will support the functionality at the console's launch. In fact, they won't.

"It's going to be well after launch for those game experiences to come to life," Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told Gamasutra. He explained that developers would need to figure out how to use a second screen on the WiiPad before incorporating a third. If only there were an example from days of future's past to reference.

Fils-Aime said the "next major step forward" is learning asymmetric gameplay for the Wii U, like active play was for the Wii. After that "there will be multiple experiences that have two" WiiPads.

Joystiq - Gamasutra

Not surprised, seeing as they were only going to have one controller initially.

You're becoming more of a joke each passing comment. You're going to tell the guy who runs the company, how much power they're using?

If they're using only 50% they are the joke, and with comments like that, one of us is a joke all right and it's not me, as I said, it's not like the other consoles are getting any more utilization at launch either.

If they're using only 50% they are the joke, and with comments like that, one of us is a joke all right and it's not me, as I said, it's not like the other consoles are getting any more utilization at launch either.

Your comment seems contradictory. You are bashing them for only using 50% of the power available but then say it is okay that other consoles do the same thing. The Xbox 360 when it came out didn't use the full power it had, neither did the PS3.

Your comment seems contradictory. You are bashing them for only using 50% of the power available but then say it is okay that other consoles do the same thing. The Xbox 360 when it came out didn't use the full power it had, neither did the PS3.

No I said other consoles wouldn't be any more utilized than that, and I said it's not likely to be as bad as 50%, 75% is far more likely at most.

The X360 and PS3 are both very dated in terms of hardware and graphical fidelity. The Wii U will offer slightly better performance than the current generation but won't be close to that of the next generation consoles from Microsoft and Sony, as it won't be able to run most games at 1080p. The difference is that Nintendo is hoping it's new controller with give it an edge, especially amongst children and parents who are Nintendo's primary demographic. Nintendo did incredibly well with the Wii because it offered something different and because each console it sold was profitable, unlike the X360 or PS3. The biggest difference is that the new controller is nowhere near as intuitive or accessible to non-gamers as the Wiimote was; it is also hyping up asymmetric gameplay, which means games are designed to play with multiple players and not individually. It will also likely cause a lot or arguments with children over who gets to play with the controller and who gets a regular Wiimote.

Nintendo is yet again going for the casual / youth market and publishers like Rockstar are already sceptical of releasing mature content. So while it will certainly have some decent and innovative titles, it's not designed to compete with Microsoft or Sony.