Russia hit by suspended points deduction

Russia have been given a suspended six-point deduction by Uefa after their supporters attacked stadium stewards following their opening Euro 2012 4-1 win against Czech Republic.

Four members of stadium staff are reported to have needed hospital treatment following the incident.

Supporters also set off fireworks and displayed a nationalist flag.

The penalty will apply to the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign, and also includes a fine of ?96,000 (120,000 euros).

Russia, who will host the 2018 World Cup, could face further sanctions after their supporters were involved in violence before their game against Poland on Tuesday.

A march by thousands of Russian fans to mark their national day had to be halted and some missiles were thrown as supporters clashed with their Polish rivals.

Police say they arrested at least 120 people and that 10 people were injured.

Inside the ground, Russian fans also displayed a provocative banner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18431163

In my opinion, where sport is concerned suspended punishments are a great way to convince people that you're doing something without actually doing anything at all. I hope it serves it's intended purpose though as violent fans shouldn't be allowed to pose a danger to the vast majority of decent fans, staff members, and players.

It was the polish fans that attacked russian fans, not the other way round. There are plenty of videos on the internet proving this. As for missiles it is the duty of the stadium to make sure that missiles aren't brought into the stadium.

I think this punishment is just politically motivated against russia. Poland need to be punished for attacking russian fans outside the stadium!

It was the polish fans that attacked russian fans, not the other way round. There are plenty of videos on the internet proving this. As for missiles it is the duty of the stadium to make sure that missiles aren't brought into the stadium.

I think this punishment is just politically motivated against russia. Poland need to be punished for attacking russian fans outside the stadium!

Nobody's being punished for fighting against other fans. The Russians are being punished for attacking stadium stewards.