Brita Marella Jug - How High Can I Fill?

I just bought a Brita Marella Jug because I was sick of all the limescale buildup in my kettle and floating in my tea...

http://www.amazon.co...39870879&sr=1-3

The one I bought has a 2L "filtered" capacity, however I am failing to understand a few things, I measured out 2L of water in a measuring jug, I poured it into the Brita Jug and it seemed to stop filtering after a while, it was filled to the point that the blue plastic gets wider and has the remaining water sitting in the reservoir.

On the side of the box it shows 2 images, 1 says "2L filtered" and the image next to it shows the water sitting above the blue plastic that the filter sits in, if you check my link the water level sits around where the blue plastic starts to get wider.

The second image shows the jug full, but states it is unfiltered.

So... to my question, how high can I fill this thing to get filtered water? Surely if I'm filling above where the cartridge sits It is unfiltered? Even though the image on the side of the box clearly shows the water level above the cartridge.

Also, if when this jug has <2L of water in filtered, but still sits above the filter exit, why can't I fill the jug entirely and it still be filtered? Once the water passes that filter exit surely it's unfiltered as the water can pass back through?

This is really hard to explain, I hope someone understands my question.

Cheers!

Upon further testing it seems that it automatically lets a certain amount of water through before it stops filtering, leaving the remainder in the reservoir.

The only thing I still don't understand is that the water level is above the exit of the filter.

How are you filling it? You fill it through the filter, so when the water comes out the spout, it has been filtered. It doesn't matter if water is sitting inside the filter, as that isn't what your'e drinking (yet).

Filling it through the fill-hole in the top, I see what you're saying, but if that is the case you could fill it and it still be filtered, but the side of the box has 2 diagrams; 1 full of water saying "unfiltered capacity" and the other with water just above the filter that says "filtered capacity".

What I'm failing to understand is how filling it 5cm above the filter differs from filling it 20cm above the filter.

Upon further testing it seems that it automatically lets a certain amount of water through before it stops filtering, leaving the remainder in the reservoir.

The only thing I still don't understand is that the water level is above the exit of the filter.

Same thing happens with most filter jugs. Gravity forces water from the reservoir above through the filter into the reservoir below it. Until the effect of gravity on the water is less than the resistance provided by the filter (IE when there's not enough weight of water in the upper reservoir to counter the resistance of the filter) it will keep tricking through.

Once the bottom reservoir is full it will not continue filling. I always leave my jug completely full in my fridge (water in both reservoirs) and it doesn't leak.

Yes I think thats how it works, however you understand you aren't getting fully filtered water if you fill it completely, right?

I'm liking it so far anyway, water and tea tastes better and looks cleaner.

Yes I think thats how it works, however you understand you aren't getting fully filtered water if you fill it completely, right?

I'm liking it so far anyway, water and tea tastes better and looks cleaner.

If it makes it to the bottom portion of the jug, it's filtered. No matter how you try and look at it. It's getting filtered.

• 5 years later...

Finally I have found two people to answer my question. I had the same one! It says fill to fill line but I swear there isn't one anywhere on or in or near this pitcher. Can I, and if not then why not fill the pitcher all the way to the top? It would hold more that way. I'm probably over thinking this which is actually a fault of mine but my brain won't let me go until I figure it out. It will drive me nuts ?

• Jim K locked this topic