remote desktop issue

i have a laptop and desktop assigned static ip address on a local lan. when i type the ip address of the desktop from the laptop i get a connection timeout instead of a login prompt.

whats the proper way to get this working via the web browser so i can use it outside the local lan too.

Have you allowed remote connections on the computer you are trying to connect to?

EDIT: It may also be worth telling us which operating system the computers are using.

So you have a Windows 7 computer, and a Windows XP computer. Which one are you connecting from, and which one are you connecting to?

Accessing it from outside of the local LAN may require port forwarding for the RDP port in your router.

So you have a Windows 7 computer, and a Windows XP computer. Which one are you connecting from, and which one are you connecting to?

Accessing it from outside of the local LAN may require port forwarding for the RDP port in your router.

trying to connect from either to either at the moment.

thats why im trying to fix the local lan remote desktop first.

Windows 7 has a setting to allow less secure clients connect.

Right click Computer > Properties > Advanced System Properties > Remote > Tick Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)

ok i can connect from desktop (win7pro) to laptop (winxppro) via win7 RDP client but not via web browser.

Do you need to use the web browser? What's wrong with the RDP client? Not working through the browser suggests you haven't configured it correctly.

According to this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Connect-to-another-computer-using-Remote-Desktop-Web-Connection (same link I posted earlier) the browser RDP can only be used on Windows Server 2008.

Windows 7 has a setting to allow less secure clients connect.

Right click Computer > Properties > Advanced System Properties > Remote > Tick Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)

its ticked.

Have you setup port forwarding on your router for the port that RDP uses?

im trying to make it work inside the local lan right now so using the local ip addresses of the computer... not yet trying to access it from outside the local lan so port forwarding shouldn't be necessary just yet i think... or is it required ..

im trying to make it work inside the local lan right now so using the local ip addresses of the computer... not yet trying to access it from outside the local lan so port forwarding shouldn't be necessary just yet i think... or is it required ..

It shouldn't be required, but it might be worth setting it up to rule that out as the cause.

Can you definitely see the target computer? Can you ping it?

It shouldn't be required, but it might be worth setting it up to rule that out as the cause.

Can you definitely see the target computer? Can you ping it?

ok ive setup rdp and im receiving clear pings from the laptop to the desktop while im on the desktop.

So what exactly is working at the moment?

Windows 7 computer can connect to XP laptop via RDP client?

XP laptop can connect to Windows 7 computer via RDP client?

So what exactly is working at the moment?

Windows 7 computer can connect to XP laptop via RDP client? yes but not through web browser

XP laptop can connect to Windows 7 computer via RDP client? unfortunately no

http://www.logmein.com

Web based access to your desktop using java. It might not be the best solution, but it's one of the easiest I know about. That or Team Viewer, but I don't know if that allows you to access your computer via the web browser.

EDIT: I'm only suggesting these because you appear to need to be able to connect soon, and there seems to be problems with what you're currently attempting.

http://www.logmein.com

Web based access to your desktop using java. It might not be the best solution, but it's one of the easiest I know about. That or Team Viewer, but I don't know if that allows you to access your computer via the web browser.

EDIT: I'm only suggesting these because you appear to need to be able to connect soon, and there seems to be problems with what you're currently attempting.

ill look into this as well. thanks intrinsica :)

do i need to do something with virtual circuit or DMZ in the router settings?

I didn't when I used logmein, it was pretty much just install-and-go (once the account had been created as well).