What is the word for "Will To Live"?

There probably is no one word as most people want to survive by default.

In French, we use the word "r?silience", and it fits perfectly. Don't know if it exists in English though.

It refers to the capacity someone has to overcome difficulties and obstacles, and to keep moving forward.

I was just going to say that I don't know of a single word in English but bet the Germans have one :laugh:

Thanks for beating me to it :)

No problem.

German again saves the day roflmao :laugh:

We have words for anything and you can create new words (that are correct) easily by joining words. :p

I like this language! :)

Glassed Silver:ios

It is a hard thing to pin down to one word and would be easier to put it down as a desperate emotional feeling that runs through the body i.e. that one has not finished with ones life yet ,that one doesnt want to leave loved ones behind or that you are not in acceptance of the state of your demise

In german we have also "Lebenstrieb" for exactly like this. It means like life impulse or life urge. I can't find a really translation for this. A dictionary says "life instinct" but instinct means something different than the German word means.

In german we have also "Lebenstrieb" for exactly like this. It means like life impulse or life urge. I can't find a really translation for this. A dictionary says "life instinct" but instinct means something different than the German word means.

Don't take apart a word like "life instinct" and try to translate it word by word.

"life instinct" sounds like the subliminal and unwillingly controlled urge to live, whilst "will to life" can be interpreted as both that and also as the personal choice, the controllable sentiment to live.

Oberstverglastensilberf?hrer? :shiftyninja:

Wow, that's just messed up! Congrats, it's wrong because you threw an adjective in there. :p

Also no need for the "st" in "Oberst".

Sidenote:

What do you call someone who lost his or her will to live?

RIM :p

Glassed Silver:mac

• Jim K locked this topic