Does anyone else not care about Microsoft surface tablet?

Have not 'fiddled' with drivers since Windows 7.

Well, with Windows 7 being the current consumer version of Windows...I fail to see your point.

I don't know why you would. I wasn't saying being a writer or working in a school isn't real work. What I'm saying is, the work I do is best done on a desktop/notebook and not on a tablet. I can't do real work (my work) on a tablet.

I'm sure you could, though. You just have a very narrow view of tablets - it's like you (and others on this thread) have tunnel vision. Can you not look past the present and look to the future? [Not specifically aimed at you, but others as well]

There is fundamentally no difference between a docked tablet (and I mean this as a desktop dock, with external monitor, mouse, and full keyboard included) and a desktop computer, except the smaller form factor. Are you worried that an Ivy Bridge powered tablet won't be powerful enough for you? It's just a matter of technology. Do you believe we won't be able to pack enough power into a tablet sized device to meet your needs in a state-of-the-art tablet in 2020? How about packed into a device the size of your phone?

Just like the OEMs, you guys don't seem to be very imaginative. [Again, not specifically you, Vice]

I'm sure you could, though. You just have a very narrow view of tablets - it's like you (and others on this thread) have tunnel vision. Can you not look past the present and look to the future? [Not specifically aimed at you, but others as well]

There is fundamentally no difference between a docked tablet (and I mean this as a desktop dock, with external monitor, mouse, and full keyboard included) and a desktop computer, except the smaller form factor. Are you worried that an Ivy Bridge powered tablet won't be powerful enough for you? It's just a matter of technology. Do you believe we won't be able to pack enough power into a tablet sized device to meet your needs in a state-of-the-art tablet in 2020? How about packed into a device the size of your phone?

Just like the OEMs, you guys don't seem to be very imaginative. [Again, not specifically you, Vice]

When I think tablet I just think.. Meh. We've been going around and around with tablets for a decade and I'm just not seeing it. The displays have gotten smaller the input methods have changed from a pen to a finger but it's just not that great. And being able to dock a tablet is nice but I already have a desktop computer so meh. 2020 is 8 years away. I think smart phones will cannibalize what tablets are used for by then. But again this is just my opinion.

When I think tablet I just think.. Meh. We've been going around and around with tablets for a decade and I'm just not seeing it. The displays have gotten smaller the input methods have changed from a pen to a finger but it's just not that great. And being able to dock a tablet is nice but I already have a desktop computer so meh. 2020 is 8 years away. I think smart phones will cannibalize what tablets are used for by then. But again this is just my opinion.

I just used 2020 as a decently far away date. However, I do think that in 10 years we'll all be laughing about how computers used to come in big boxes (desktop computer cases!), just like today we laugh about how mainframes used to fill entire rooms. I might be overly optimistic, but I'm looking far down the road.

And being able to dock a tablet is nice but I already have a desktop computer so meh.

Sure, but do you plan on using that same desktop computer for the rest of your life? You are going to replace it with something in the future.

It's hard NOT to care about the Surface. It's the other piece of the puzzle. It's why Windows 8 was developed. You're going to see more mobile devices like this going forward, that are able to work in more ways than one. Hence, the "dual" personas of Windows 8. However, once Metro becomes self sustainable, I think there will be less emphasis on the desktop going forward.

Sure, but do you plan on using that same desktop computer for the rest of your life? You are going to replace it with something in the future.

With another desktop computer probably. I just upgraded so I'll be using this until 2015. I only change my desktop once every 3 years.

I won't be replacing it with a tablet that's for sure haha

And about mainframes taking up whole rooms. We still have those just now we call them data centres.

• Like 2

I do care about the MS Surface. It is a first glimpse at what the future of the PC will be, and a prime example for what kind of devices Windows 8 is being developed. Running Windows 8 on traditional desktops/laptops feels like a kludge, an afterthought - because it is.

It's a risky bet for Microsoft. Whether or not it will pay off in the future remains to be seen.

I do care about the MS Surface. It is a first glimpse at what the future of the PC will be, and a prime example for what kind of devices Windows 8 is being developed. Running Windows 8 on traditional desktops/laptops feels like a kludge, an afterthought - because it is.

It's a risky bet for Microsoft. Whether or not it will pay off in the future remains to be seen.

I think it will, it's pretty clear Microsoft, while playing Windows 8 by ear at some points, has a plan for this release, the Surface tablet all but confirms they're on track, and are not about to let it slip through their fingers.

How is that? Ever heard of the OQO? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OQO You guys are giving this thing a little too much credit - it hasn't been released yet nor do we know when it will be released.

Personally, I love the idea of the surface. One of my issues is that I do not like spreading my usage across devices. I got annoyed at having a 10" netbook and a 15" laptop so I bought a 13" Macbook Pro. I am getting annoyed at having a 10" tablet and a 13" laptop, so I am very much tempted to get a 10" tablet that I can convert into pretty much a full laptop (which is the case with the Surface Pro). I have been tempted by android transformers over the last year, but always been put off because android is not a proper desktop OS. Windows 8 solves that.

I'm hoping to get a Surface device at some point, between the hardware and Win8 it looks like it could be a very good daily use device as long as you don't game, obviously, I would love to test this and whatever Android manufacturers come up with to compete with it, it could get VERY interesting between the two, unfortunately I don't see Apple making the changed necessary to compete at the top level with Surface, they don't have the required flexibility, but Android manufacturers do.

IF MS pulls this off successfully this could start the re marginalization of Apple in the Business segment of computing, it will survive well in the consumer market, but obviously business needs are greater than what currently is available

It's just one of the first Windows RT tablets, the first of many, from many different companies. I don't see anything special that differentiates it from the Windows RT tablets that other OEMs will product.

When it is compared to the iPad, there is such a fuss that it has a "keyboard" integrated into it's case. Well guess what, just look online and you will find millions of different keyboard cases for iPad and Android. There is nothing special going on here.

It seems that Microsoft have attached a lot of hype to a product they have been working on called "Surface", which the name over to this (which is not the same "Surface" product they have been hyping) and then the tech sites seem to be getting their panties in a bunch over it when really it is just another product that isn't more special than anything else. If this was the real "Microsoft Surface" they have been working on for years that may be different, but this is just another tablet.

If you don't care, maybe it'd be wise to show you don't care by not posting about it? Otherwise it seems to show more the opposite.

I did think it was quite neat when I first saw it but after thinking about my usage scenarios I don't think it would benefit me at all. I could take the money I'd spend on one of these (which Microsoft says is going to be completive with Ultrabooks not iPads) and buy well.. an ultrabook.

I find this interesting, because I've been holding off on an ultrabook while I've waited for an "ultrabook" to come along in a tablet. Why? Because I want to be able to read my comic books and ebooks without having to turn a laptop sideways. Since nobody seemed to be interested in making a "real" tablet anytime soon I had been planning on buying an ultrabook for computing and a 11" android tablet for my comics (I currently use my rooted nook color with CM9 alpha on it, but the 7" screen is barely big enough to read comics and I'm constantly irritated when I have to zoom in to read some of the text and then zoom back out). Now I can finally have the best of both worlds. It's like Microsoft read my mind while I was sleeping and decided to turn my dreams into reality. I love the build quality, the simplicity of design, the keyboard optional and held together with magnetism so there's no clunky docking port. It's all very seamless, sexy, and powerful. Best of all, it's an actual computer and not an over-sized phone, which is what tablets were always meant to be.

To the OP, in response to the thread title: I'm sure there may possibly be some people who don't care, but the vast majority are going to care because consumers will either want one, or they will see it as a threat to brand that they worship. OEMs will get butthurt because they've been trying to push mediocre crap and they're being shown up quite badly (with a couple of exceptions; I think there are a couple very nice ultrabook manufacturers who are not going to lose any sleep because their product is still awesome). Apple is going to care because MS's tablet is just as nice (or possibly nicer, depending on your personal taste) as their offering, but with a real OS on it instead of a phone OS. I think it's great that there will finally be some real competition on the market, and yeah, I think most people are going to care. I also think its success or failure is going to be deeply tied to the success or failure of Windows 8, so I intend to grab one as soon as I can before I risk losing out on ever getting one.

It's a competitor. In terms of features, performance, and price Microsoft have put themselves in the game, but is it going to take the tablet world by storm and oust the iPad? in my opinion, no. I also have to agree with Vice, using a touchscreen for extended periods, especially for lots of typing would be a pain (now I do understand that a keyboard is provided so please don't consider this a pointless criticism) but I'd also consider a notebook a better investment at this moment in time.

As well as that, it's going to be a few months before the app ecosystem even comes close to matching that of the iPad and Android. Again, not a criticism just a realistic reflection so I wouldn't imagine sales will exactly set the world on fire within the first 6-12 months of release but it's for sure a pretty interesting product and will make the tablet market more competitive.

Have absolutely no desire to even look at one of these new toys, let alone go blow my money on one!!

No true geek/nerd would ever say something like that

• Like 1

I think it is quite an amusing joke, both models. Not that I am in the market for tablets at all, but after all the hype the underwhelming hardware and disastrous price is going to be yet another stone in MS's shoe. The RT tablet is $100-200 more than competitors and features a tiny battery, small resolution, and 0 apps of course. The pro tablet has same size battery as ipad3 (but a power sucking x86 processor) and still has smaller resolution than even the new asus tab, and yet costs $1k? Madness. Apart from the much fabled build materials, can't see one positive aspect about this hardware.

I don't care about it either. It's not a bad product, it's just that I have no use for it. Windows 7 works perfectly on my desktop and I don't travel enough to make use of a tablet. My GF, on the other hand, wants an iPad in the worst way. To each their own!

I think it is quite an amusing joke, both models. Not that I am in the market for tablets at all, but after all the hype the underwhelming hardware and disastrous price is going to be yet another stone in MS's shoe. The RT tablet is $100-200 more than competitors and features a tiny battery, small resolution, and 0 apps of course. The pro tablet has same size battery as ipad3 (but a power sucking x86 processor) and still has smaller resolution than even the new asus tab, and yet costs $1k? Madness. Apart from the much fabled build materials, can't see one positive aspect about this hardware.

What? Where did you hear this? None of this has been detailed yet, also, Windows RT has PLENTY of apps. Price hasn't been detailed either.

If you not care about it, why do you open a topic about it? :|

Anyway, I think Surface's special feature is the fully operational Windows OS.