How Apple Brainwashes Its Store Employees

Not to mention you get treated like trash. Seen plenty of employees being yelled at on the floor back there. Rather work at a McDonalds that be subjected to public humiliation like that.

Here in Massachusetts anything below 35k is a death sentence.

Well, maybe that is a good reason to find a different state to live in? Seems that the people here having trouble believing that people can actually live on $30K a year are in the northeastern US.

Not to mention you get treated like trash. Seen plenty of employees being yelled at on the floor back there. Rather work at a McDonalds that be subjected to public humiliation like that.

That was one of the reasons I left. Right at the end of my shift one night I had some jackass insisting that I open a TV box for him because of one TINY little dent in the side of the box (that absolutely couldn't have damaged the TV inside, due to the amount of packing material inside the box). I finally got tired of him being beligerant and making racist remarks towards me (I'm white, he was black, you work it out), so I told him to just be quiet till I could get someone else to help him (I was already late for clocking out by the time he first approached me). He then got a manager involved and got me fired (although I was told that I could come back any time I wanted to). I never wanted to work in that kind of environment again.

Well, maybe that is a good reason to find a different state to live in? Seems that the people here having trouble believing that people can actually live on $30K a year are in the northeastern US.

That or they are part of the generation that thing 250 channels on tv, a 20k car, smartphone, and a 100k house is barely surviving. I just don't understand that mentality but it explains why so many people go through life being unhappy. I only make 40k a year. One of the highest paid IT jobs in this town. Should I be as unhappy as all of you because I could move to California making 100k a year?
  • Like 2

That or they are part of the generation that thing 250 channels on tv, a 20k car, smartphone, and a 100k house is barely surviving. I just don't understand that mentality but it explains why so many people go through life being unhappy. I only make 40k a year. One of the highest paid IT jobs in this town. Should I be as unhappy as all of you because I could move to California making 100k a year?

Yeah, I think a lot of people set these unreasonable lower limits on what they will be happy with, and think that anyone happy with less than that has something wrong with them. My family and I are much happier with a low stress lifestyle living in the south, making about $35K a year between my wife and me, than most people would be in other parts of the country making $100K+ a year in a stressful job and a fast paced lifestyle.

tons of people i know would be (and are) happy with $30 k a year. The only people that aren't happy with that are people with super huge high expectations out of a temporary thing called life. Typically no matter how much money they end up making they are never "happy" and always complain that they are always broke.

This might be all well and good for people in their teens & twenties - but for others - it would mean starving.

Remember, everything is relative

Some people in here are completely happy with a family income 1/2 of what I make. I couldnt pay any bills, would have to move, & sell everything just to survive - I wouldnt be happy at all.

If you're happy @ 30K it doesnt mean others who are trying to get a raise from the $75K a yr are unrealistic.

For example, I had to setup Quicken on my mom's computer a few years back. I could go into a list of crazy details but the amount of money going through there every month are close to the same amounts others are making in a year -- and that was just the regular monthly bills !

My parents are pretty happy doing whatever they want, travelling whenever they want - it doesnt make them needy & unrealistic.

They would lose everything if they only made what I make a year -

So please, lets keep the comments about other's lifestyles and expectations in perspective.

Remember Chris Rock's standup about difference between rich and wealthy ?

Shaq is rich, but the guy who signs his paycheck is wealthy !

Oprah is rich, but Bill Gates is wealthy !

If Bill Gates woke up one morning and had Oprah money - he's throw himself on a damned roof !

Its all relative

• Like 1

Then it shouldn't any more difficult for you to go work somewhere that pays commission considering you agree to the terms of your pay when you take the job. As you said, simple as.

There is no doubt that you agree to a salary when you accept a job. That should not and does not take away from the fact that salary offered is inadequate when compared to generated revenue.

and where exactly did this take place? and how long ago? $25k is $2083 a month with ZERO taxes being taken out. so how exactly would someone pay rent/mortgage, utility bills, property taxes, 2 cars, gaming console, airplane tickets, healthcare? what am I missing here? where is this mythical place that I can move my family to that I just need to work at Apple with my 30k a year and live like a king?

I make less then 40K, all my bills including mortgage on a 2000 sqft 4br, 4 full bath house with garage and back yard and all takes less then 1K a month. And i have Full taxes taken out due to not wanting to pay every year. Not everywhere is as expensive as your little suburb, i live in the WV/MD/VA metro area of Wash DC. Nice town houses are going for less then 100K, i bought my house ( not a town house ) for less then 140

Rent for an Apt is average of 300-600 a month usually including utilities

You dont need plane tickets. Thats a luxury not a nessesity

roadwarrior, its all neat and all that you and your little family are happy in the south with $30,000/yr. But you need to stop thinking that everyone else is wrong if they think differently. Telling people to move ? Telling people they are unrealistic ? and need to change their ways and be better at financing ?

Stop and think that what you call "family is doing OK with $30,000/yr" others might call living in poverty & filth - and would not want to live in the "poor south" -

Just saying .... others might think you need to look outside of your little fishbowl.

Some people dont want to pay $120K for an education to make $30,000/yr - :/

But you need to stop thinking that everyone else is wrong if they think differently. Telling people to move ? Telling people they are unrealistic ? and need to change their ways and be better at financing ?

Stop and think that what you call "family is doing OK with $30,000/yr" others might call living in disgusting poverty & filth - and would not want to live in the "poor south" -

Just saying ....

Little bit of pot calling kettle black ya think

I think and my family and friends think im really well off. YOU think im not. I have almost 0 stress, can buy what i need, and many cases what i want when, my bank account normally increases every month AFTER all bills, to where last i checked it was in the thousands that i can do whatever.

What you may call it poverty, but there are diffrent expectations on what that is, and is pure opinion. I know FOR A FACT, people family of 4 can live on less then 30K comfortably. I know this because my sister was loving the money when she was working with me. And had a surplus of funds.

The main diffrence is GREED and a screwed up sense of Wants and Needs.

I do not NEED a BMW, my 2000 Ford Focus Zx3 gets me everywhere just fine.

I do not NEED a 60in HDTV, but i WANTed one.

I do not NEED an Xbox, PS3, 2 Laptops ( including one MBP ), 2 Desktops, and internet speeds that are above 20 down, but i WANTed them so i got them

• Like 2

Some people dont want to pay $120K for an education to make $30,000/yr - :/

Random thought here, and probably a bit outlandish but maybe they should use their $120k degree in a different field that isn't retail? I spent $30k on two degrees. Sounds like they paid for an expensive degree and partied the whole time instead of learning anything. May just be me though.

Little bit of pot calling kettle black ya think

I think and my family and friends think im really well off. YOU think im not. I have almost 0 stress, can buy what i need, and many cases what i want when, my bank account normally increases every month AFTER all bills, to where last i checked it was in the thousands that i can do whatever.

What you may call it poverty, but there are diffrent expectations on what that is, and is pure opinion. I know FOR A FACT, people family of 4 can live on less then 30K comfortably. I know this because my sister was loving the money when she was working with me. And had a surplus of funds.

I do not NEED an Xbox, PS3, 2 Laptops ( including one MBP ), 2 Desktops, and internet speeds that are above 20 down, but i WANTed them so i got them

This is what I was talking about with roadwarrior - just because its different, doesnt mean its wrong.

A person is greedy because they like nicer things ? Its wrong to be successful ?

I am not saying you or roadwarrior is wrong with your ideology - what I was trying to say is dont think Im wrong because my tastes/needs/wants are different- thats all.

My parents live in a very nice private neighborhood with security gates - it is quiet, peaceful, small, and you can leave your car windows down with the keys in the ignition and not worry one bit - thats exactly what I do when I go over there to visit.

After seeing what that is like, it makes me want to make more $ so I can live in something similar - Its not wrong.

Random thought here, and probably a bit outlandish but maybe they should use their $120k degree in a different field that isn't retail? I spent $30k on two degrees. Sounds like they paid for an expensive degree and partied the whole time instead of learning anything. May just be me though.

I wont mention any names -- but some of us whos parents spent a bunch on college - might have walked out of there with never going to class & vague fogginess of curriculum, and an honorary PhD in Beer drinking... not mentioning any names :whistle:

But I lerned UT home games are a great way to spend a Saturday

\m/ HOOK EM HORNS \m/

a good comparison is myself and my sister. We live in the same yard in rural area. She lives in one house with her son and her fiance. I live in a house across from her in the same yard. I help my dad farm and i make about average $2400 a month while my sister and her fiance make about $13,000 a month. Want to know whats weird? I always have spare money and savings and they are always broke and complaining they have no money.

I think it comes doe to this; elevated expectations and waste. For example:

1) I have a 2000 Saturn car that's in perfect shape AND THEY HAVE 2 brand new Escalades.

2) I have 1 ipad AND THEY HAVE 3

3) My kids have ipods, and 1 xbox AND HER KID HAS ipad, ipod, and all the game systems.

4) One of our long weekends when we went camping, we bought $40 is fireworks, SHE BOUGHT $600

5) I shop groceries and buy whats on sale and avoid pricey things like steak AND SHE BUYS anything she sets her eyes on and expensive meats.

6) When i buy clothes for my kids, i spend no more then $20 on jeans, and $10 on tees, and $20 on sweaters, WHILE SHE spends $100 + on each brand name peice.

7) this summer we bought the kids new motorcross bikes. She spent $5 k on 2 bikes for her and her son but i only spent $600 onn my son's bike.

Remember, she makes a household income of $13k and is ALWAYS complaining they have no money. I make $2,400 and always have money. This list can go on and on and on but you can see it comes down to what people find acceptable. Most western society is spoiled and only need the best of everything. Lets just say i am glad i am not a spoiled little brat. So when you see someone making a lot of money and complaining they can't make it, just smile at them and snicker and say "ya man, its rough out there."

• Like 1

This is what I was talking about with roadwarrior - just because its different, doesnt mean its wrong.

A person is greedy because they like nicer things ? Its wrong to be successful ?

you do know what the definition of Greed is right?

I am not saying you or roadwarrior is wrong with your ideology - what I was trying to say is dont think Im wrong because my tastes/needs/wants are different- thats all.

My parents live in a very nice private neighborhood with security gates - it is quiet, peaceful, small, and you can leave your car windows down with the keys in the ignition and not worry one bit - thats exactly what I do when I go over there to visit.

After seeing what that is like, it makes me want to make more $ so I can live in something similar - Its not wrong.

That is not needs, that is wants, a gated community is a Luxury, quiet peacefull is not everywhere ( trevyon incident happened in a gated community, but that is not the norm i admit. )

Now i dont want to live in a gated community, the ones around here are drug pits and look like crap. Goes to show one of the prime points

Your neck of the woods is diffrent then mine, so dont expect your cost of living to translate equal to mine, 30K here can afford the same as 60-100K where you are.

Literally where i work, houses like mine go for 500K, but at my neighborhood, same house under 140, i dont live in a slum, i live in a subdivision thats quiet, kids playing in street riding scooters or whatever, Wifi networks out the A** so everybody has computers.

Where my Aunt's live is a diffrent story, they are 15 min drive, house Half size smaller then mine, 200K. Houses sandwiched together just less then 30 ft apart. Thats not for me.

I am not living in filth, you look at my review of the Thermaltake i did, it was done in my fully furnished basement. Is that living in filth, is that poverty barely or cant make it where i can buy a $600+ computer case cause i felt like it?

I make 40k a year and apparently I must be living in filth. I drive a 2011 MazdaSpeed3 fully loaded($27k). I have a computer with four 21.5 inch monitors, 16gigs of ram, 2 video cards, and 2 tb of harddrive space. I have a laptop with 6 month old 6gigs of ram, 1.5 terabyte harddrive and HDMI out. Brand new iPad, iPhone 4s, 47 inch 3d 240hrz TV, 4 xbox 360s(I like to take them apart and mod them). I live in a 3 bedroom house that I pay a mortgage. I eat 4 healthy meals(if you count a big bowl of lucky charms as healthy) a day and go out to eat 3 times a week. Two of those times are $30+ meals. I fly model airplanes which costs about 2k a year with all the crashed and repairs. I have full medical, dental, and life insurance that is 20% paid for by my job. I paid for my own college without any help from parents. Yep, I am living in filth clearly.

If I were to get married and have two kids, god forbid the wife works a min wage job to help keep up this standard of living. Most people I date at least have one degree and work with a similar income job. Lets be generous to your side of the argument and say she makes a mere 18k a year with minimum wage. That's 18k to pay for another car and a 50% increase at most in overall bills such as food, electricity, and gas.

• Like 1

Hell - Man Im sorry - I was using examples to show extreme differences to make a point, It was a reference to the "poor south" - I wasnt referring to you or roadwarrior (and Tobacco) in any way. I do not think, or was trying to suggest you live in filth - no way.

I understand what you're saying

I re-read the OP & the comment about $60,000/yr is avg for verizon - that must have been taken from New York & some idiot thought it was the norm.

Or, they used the salary information for their mid-level execs & applied it to the hourly staff in retail stores -

If not - I think I'll get a weekend job there to stand around do nothing & play with their 4G wifi

I re-read the OP & the comment about $60,000/yr is avg for verizon - that must have been taken from New York & some idiot thought it was the norm.

Or, they used the salary information for their mid-level execs & applied it to the hourly staff in retail stores -

If not - I think I'll get a weekend job there to stand around do nothing & play with their 4G wifi

Agreed, salries and wages in NY are exorbant because thats what is required for people to live there. The problem with averages is it inclused those high cost of living in with the easially affordable.

( and NP about the previous, i get it alot from people that belive rumor / insults regarding physical locations ( ex Kentucky is not redneck sister lovers, i used to live in Louisville for a couple months, it was completly oposite from hicktown )! And especially from people that have no indication of whats over the next ridgeline " OMG you live all the way out there, how can you drive for so long "... My reply is " you see that ridge, i live on the other side of it, its less then 30 minite drive in traffic "

I worked at dell in lebanon,tn..on the build.. it was the first real job I had and the worst. I was treated like crap and I only made 9.50/hr and worked 12 hour days and sometimes more. I went 3 weeks without a day off. I was fired for being accused of crap I never did. couldn't collect unemployment either. working there is way worse then working at apple. trust me. SITTING WAS TREATED AS A CRIME there. my supervisor was the typical crabby old lady x9001 that hated other women and would air her dirty laundry about her husband and sister in front of others and those who didn't care for her crap would get treated worse then those who gave into her drama and got involved. i would rather work at an apple store then work at dell again.

Good to know that the American line at Dell was no different. I hated that job so much. I only lasted like 4 or 5 months before I said, **** this. The days were long, and my feet could not take that length of standing.

I can do without all that EXCEPT the Xbox. I NEED Xbox. Does that make me greedy? I am willing to make sacrifices though, as long as I still have Xbox.. and some games of course.

I can do without all that EXCEPT the Xbox. I NEED Xbox. Does that make me greedy? I am willing to make sacrifices though, as long as I still have Xbox.. and some games of course.

No thats a Want Vs. need