video cd

Question

how to make video cds that work with dvd players??

i made one, it works on my computer, but it won't play on the home dvd player (sony).

i made the video cd with nero 5.5.6.4

how to set it up to make it work.

please help

thank you

17 answers to this question

You need to make SVCD's to play in dvd players.

That means you need to have mpeg files,or convert your video(using TMPG enc.exe) to mpeg files,then use Nero.Set it to burn SVCD,and thats it

Originally posted by Toker

You need to make SVCD's to play in dvd players.

That means you need to have mpeg files,or convert your video(using TMPG enc.exe) to mpeg files,then use Nero.Set it to burn SVCD,and thats it

not true, some dvd players play vcds just fine and some dvd players will NOT play anything that's on a cd-r or cd-rw even if it is svcd

EmuZombie is right on this one! There are many DVD players out there that do allow you to play not only DVD's, but CD's and VCD's as well! But if you're concerned about the computer relation, some of the video CD tracks will not appear correctly when you load up the VCD on either the DVD player or a VCD program (eg. GDiVX Player). Also, SVCD's require the movies to be converted to MP2 format, just to let you know! :)

my sony dvd player sas that it should play video cds. and i so far i tryied just video cd. i will try svcd. how can i find out if my dvd player will play cd-r stuff?

what's the model number of you player and we'll find it for ya... and yes.. they are right though.. not all players can play cdrs so no need to make a SVCD (and no it's not true about being able to play SVCDs and NOT VCD... if it can play the more advanced version - SVCD - then it can play VCDs as well... so don't go bother creating an SVCD untill you know if you're DVD player can read cdr(w)s

I have the same problem with my ge 1105p the player says it plays vcds.....but it wont recognize cd-r or cd-rw disks. I have heard there is is a fix for this...i can't seem to find it though...if anyone can enlighten me on what to do as well i would appreciate it...

For anyone who's interested in a very good, cheap dvd player Got for an Apex AD1500.

It supports the following: CD-R, CD-RW, MP3CD, VCD, SVCD, Audio CD, and DVD of course.

I can personally assure you that all of the above will work with the default settings in Nero. Basically, it's the best one to go with if you want an affordable way to play vcds and svcds.

Average price is about $85(us)

You can check out some specs at Circuit City. But don't buy it from there, there's other stores that have it for cheaper.

There is a PAL version of this as well, so all you folks in europe won't be left out :)

One of the nicest features besides supporting cd-rws is it plays both NTSC & PAL. In otherwords, you have a vcd in PAL format, but you live in a country where tv's are NTSC, normally you'd have to reencode it, but by pressing a single button on the remote, you can force the player to play it in NTSC mode, and vice versa.

One other thing I notced that seems to not be mentioned anywhere, is if you have a cd with a bunch of mpg files on them (vcd ready ones) you don't even have to make the cd into a vcd, pop it in and it'll play those video files just like it was a real vcd. However, to play an imported DVD you will need to "void your warranty" This is a loop hole in the region protection, but I will leave it at that to keep this legal ;)

The downside to all this? The remote... it's a peice of crap and the batteries can be easily knocked out of place casuing it to not work. However, if you treat the remote very delicatly, it will keep working. I've even dropped it once and it didn't knock the batteries out of place.

out of a possible 10 with 10 being highest...

Value for money: 10

Picture quality: 9

Sound Quality: 9.5

Ease of use: 5 (remote brought this down, and it does have a rather "cheesy" setup screen)

Campatibility: 10

no offense, but is there some other dvd-player that supports vcd and svcd.

something with a built in dts decoder, and a 5.1 channel output?

Originally posted by nekrosoft13

no offense, but is there some other dvd-player that supports vcd and svcd.

something with a built in dts decoder, and a 5.1 channel output?

yeah there's plenty out there... if you do a web search for "vcd dvd list" or something like that you might be able to find a site that lists most dvd players and weither or not they can read cd-r(w)'s and play vcds or not.

Unfortunately, I can tell you that the dvd player you said you have isn't able to read cd-r's or cd-rw's.

In fact, I found a list just now, so, your job will be to look through it to see which one you might want to get. (If getting another one is worth it for you... :p )

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdlist/listall.html

Page might take some time to load tho..

Hope this helps

didn't any1 read my post? it said the link to the best site....for vcd ****...it says how to burn them...how to convert from one format to another...also the best feature...a list of almost all the dvd players made...and stating what each one supports...the hitachi-415 is the best so far...by comments and by what it supports (everything)....the link for the list is http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdlist/listall.html as zombie stated in the previous post...this site helped me out a lot....check it out...

well if you got the money then just go all out on a food dvd player with progressive scan and the built in DTS and Dolby Digital decoders that you want so bad. At that price they all play CDrs so just go spend that money and oh... get me a DVD too.. :) The Sixth Sense :)

I got the Apex DVD Player and loving it to every second! It's the best that i've gotten (but i know it's not the bomb!) Check it out and tell me what you think...