Michael Fassbender To Star In Assassins Creed

IdHT.jpg

Variety reports that Michael Fassbender will star in and co-produce the big screen adaptation of Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed. While he will play the lead character, it is unknown whether they will use Altair (Assassin's Creed - 2007), Ezio (Assassin's Creed II - 2009) or Connor (Assassin's Creed III - 2012). The first option seems most likely, especially as the site describes the plot as revolving, "around a man who learns his ancestors were trained assassins after he is kidnapped by a secret org with ties to the Knights Templar, and sent back in time to retrieve historical artefacts."

"Michael Fassbender was our first choice," said Jean-Julien Baronnet, CEO of Paris-based Ubisoft Motion Pictures. "Michael (Fassbender) is an extremely smart, talented, versatile and committed actor." It is thought that in order to maintain a greater level of control, Ubisoft will develop the film themselves, although Sony Pictures may end up distributing. "We're open to re-discuss with the key studios once the production package is finalized," There is currently no details on when Assassin's Creed will begin production or be released.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056333.html?cmpid=RSS|News|FilmNews

I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time. I'm pretty sure the only good video-game-to-film adaptation was Silent Hill. Everything else has been either mediocre or incredibly poor. At the same time, I quite enjoy Michael Fassbender's roles that he does, so it would be interesting to see how he pulls off Altair (assuming that Altair is going to be the main character, of course).

I wonder how good his parkour skills are...

That's a good choice in my opinion. I think he pulled pretty well being Magneto and I see him as a good Altair (even though i'd like it to be AC3).

Shut up and take my money!!!

So going to see this!

yeah I am looking forward to it now! :D I want to see how his jumping skills are though!

This is so full of win. David in the Animus? LOL. So glad Ubisoft is going to do this own their own too. You can't really lose in this situation. Ubisoft themselves have already done "Lineage" to show what they can actually do in a live-action Assassin's Creed.

• 6 months later...
According to The Hollywood Reporter, up-and-coming screenwriter Michael Lesslie (who previously wrote Prince Of Denmark and a number of short films, including Skirt) has signed on to work on the script for New Regency and Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed movie. Prometheus and X-Men: First Class actor Michael Fassbender will star in and produce the film adaptation of Ubisoft's top-selling video game franchise. Ubisoft Motion Pictures is developing Assassin's Creed closely with New Regency, and the two are also partnering on a Splinter Cell adaptation (which has The Dark Knight Rises' Tom Hardy attached to star). Assassin's Creed "centers on a bartender who is captured by a secret corporation and sent back in time to relive the memories of his ancestors -- all of them assassins -- and retrieve ancient artifacts." Despite previous comments suggesting a late 2014 release date, New Regency and Ubisoft hope to have the film in theaters before the end of 2013. A director and cast should be locked down in the near future.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=72677

Im hoping for the movie they go back to the roots of the Assassins and the Templars, so Altiar time. I would hate for them to make the movie and have people think 'wtf - explain this rivelary'. Can't remember the start of Assassins Creed the game so if they do bring it to the big screen it would be interesting to see how it develops.

I would like to see it as a 3 movie series like the game franchise.

That would be the best but I doubt they have plans for that many movies at this point. If the first one does good enough then sure but only time will tell if it does.

Probably one reason movies aren't that good anymore. They lack the vision to think big.

You say that but if the first film does awful at BO then there's no reason to plan ahead