Using PHP to include analytics.js file?

Question

Hey guys, I'm not very familiar with Analytics (or JavaScript, for that matter). I'm much more familiar with HTML/CSS and PHP.

Normally I just copy/paste the tracking code in <script> before the closing </head> tag like the Analytics page says, instead can I just do it this way:

In an index.html or index.php could I just use <?php include 'analytics.js'; ?> before the head tag

And the .js file will have the following code:

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-XXXXXXXX-XX']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();
[/CODE]

Or will Analytics somehow not work with this sort of setup?

10 answers to this question

Hm... I tried this earlier and realized that when you simply include the regular tracking script in a .js file via PHP it shows the script at the top of the page in plain text.

I can't remember/find the code for it to start actually utilizing the code as JS instead of plain text.

And even if I get it, will Analytics read it and track the code properly?

Thanks in advance.

if you want to dump the contents of the .js file into the html, use the php include codethat you wrote above , but it needs to dump it within a set of html script tags, within the html hewd section...

Ohh, I understand. The php has to include it within the script/javascript tags even if it's an external file?

Alright that worked for me.

Thanks again. :D

Can't you just use

<script type="text/javascript">
Javascript code goes here.
</script>
[/CODE]

or does it have to be an external file ?

Can't you just use

<script type="text/javascript">
Javascript code goes here.
</script>
[/CODE]

or does it have to be an external file ?

Eh, I could.

Well, I'm not using this for one thing- I want to use it in a .php file, where I could also technically use it like that. But I want the code to look a bit neater and more organized by reading from an external file, and additionally I am trying to expand my understanding Javascript better. As mentioned, I mainly only know HTML, CSS and PHP. I know the most minuscule amount of JS.

Also, excuse the double post, but can't I just include a file using JS in the script tags of the index to include an external .js file?

I looked in to doing it "non-asynchronously" but I got no good results on that. :/

Also, excuse the double post, but can't I just include a file using JS in the script tags of the index to include an external .js file?

I looked in to doing it "non-asynchronously" but I got no good results on that. :/

Sure, just use the src attribute of the script tag in your html to include the js file...

&lt;script src="/path/to/analytics.js"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;

Make sure you close the php tags before you use that script.

Unless you are trying to echo it;

&lt;?
echo "&lt;script src=\"/path/to/analytics.js\"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;";
?&gt;

I do believe the way you want it done while is a correct use is just dragged out ? I dont understand why you would not simply include the .JS file it should work fine. (assuming one has used the correct tags)

Sorry, it has been a while since I have been on... and thank you all for the replies.

I do believe the way you want it done while is a correct use is just dragged out ? I dont understand why you would not simply include the .JS file it should work fine. (assuming one has used the correct tags)

Well, no. That is what I am trying to do, find the most clean and organized way to use the JS, which is to simply include it. I was having problems doing that via PHP though.

I realized even if you include it with php, it has to be in the <script> tags (simple mistake I hadn't realized at the time). I think I will try it with the src attribute of the script tag, as mentioned.

Seems like the cleanest and easiest. I just needed guidance because I have not learned JS yet. ;)