[Jailbreak] iPhone 4 first JB attempt

Okay, so I'm trying to back up my SHSH blobs for my iPhone 4 running the latest stable release of iOS 5.

When I launch TinyUmbrella v5.11.01 to begin the process it comes back with a few errors:

1. Request SHSH from Cydia is currently set.

This can cause issues if you are trying to save

current SHSHs as Cydia is no longer able to

reliably proxy SHS requests.

Please change your settings in the Advanced tab and

click the Apply Changes button or use the Edit menu to

apply changes

Current log file

07/15/2012 11:43:10.541 Loaded History... 07/15/2012 11:43:11.006 Device connected: <name> iPhone 07/15/2012 11:43:11.055 Loaded History... 07/15/2012 11:46:45.645 Caching shsh files... 07/15/2012 11:46:45.649 Found [0] shsh files to cache... 07/15/2012 11:46:45.653 Cached [0] shsh files 07/15/2012 11:46:45.657 You are using the current version of TinyUmbrella.

Do i simply uncheck "Request SHS from cydia and connect my device followed by a "save SHS" or should I halt and reconsider my options.

I say halt what your doing, google 'Absinthe Greenpoison for ios 5.1.1' and follow the easy peasy instructions.

What your doing, I never had to do...

http://www.redmondpi...n-iphone-4-gsm/

How To Use Absinthe 2.0 (if you?re unjailbroken):

1. Make a backup of your device in iTunes by right clicking on your device name under the ?Devices? menu and click ?Back Up?.

2. Once your backup is complete return to your device and go to Settings ? General ? Reset ? Erase all Content and Settings. This will make the jailbreak process much faster.

3. Open Absinthe and be sure you are still connected via USB cable to your computer.

4. Click ?Jailbreak? and wait?. just be patient and do not disconnect your device.

5. Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. Right click on your device name under the ?Devices? menu in the left panel of iTunes and click ?Restore from Back Up?? then select the latest backup you created before. (restoring this backup will return all the content previously on your device ie, apps, photos, etc.)

6. Thanks for using Absinthe, enjoy your jailbroken iDevice! icon_biggrin.gif

Anarkii, thanks.. I was under the impression that it was, in good-practice, to backup the SHSH files prior to jail breaking... for those "just in case" situations....

is this not the case with the above mentioned process. I originally found a "how to" from cult of... for absinthe 2 on iPhone 4 entitles " How To Jailbreak Your iOS 5.1.1 Device With Absinthe The Right Way"

since you're already on the latest version it'd probably be easier to get your SHSH blobs after you jailbreak

I'm not completely sure as I've never bothered to mess with the whole SHSH blobs thing though

Well honestly its upto you how you want to do it. For me, I just followed those above steps and never had a problem.

If it makes you feel more at ease thou, backing up your SHSH blobs would be better, but I have no clue on how to do that sorry.

you don't even really need your SHSH blobs at the moment, the only reason to back them up is if your iOS version isn't the latest and you want to still be able to restore to that version

that's all the SHSH blobs are used for, and since you're already on the latest version anyway and the latest version has a jailbreak, I wouldn't worry about messing with SHSH blobs until the next version of iOS comes out

That would make sense... Just trying to be as safe as possible. I remember the days of old with rooting my old G1 android and that was a PITA, compared to this... So going to go over the instructions again and get ready to do this.

Well, one last question while its backing up... when iOS6 comes out.. if I no longer want to be jailbroken, do I just proceed with a normal update to the phone, or does it have to be locked down again first?

Well, one last question while its backing up... when iOS6 comes out.. if I no longer want to be jailbroken, do I just proceed with a normal update to the phone, or does it have to be locked down again first?

just do a restore to iOS 6 to make sure nothing is left behind

Thanks Brando212... Hey, what about the detection issue I've come across. Is that irrelevant, or should it be a concern?

Found this answer in another post, but not sure of the credibility of it.

"Thats just the software code. It is safe to jailbreak."

yeah pretty much, you should be fine jailbreaking

it's just the hardware code Apple uses, it won't always match the name, macs have a similar hardware version code

Is there any point to back up (preserve?) SHSH blobs?

Well in my case:

I need JB to unlock as i'm not on ATT ( this phones official carrier) so in Case an update goes wrong I can use shsh blobs and still be sure to have ultrans0w unlock.

Wow, thank you so much for the help guys! Really appreciate it. I love the customizations available so far. BTMono, Winterboard, so many things I have to learn yet, and be careful with, obviously.

Okay, so I'm trying to back up my SHSH blobs for my iPhone 4 running the latest stable release of iOS 5.

When I launch TinyUmbrella v5.11.01 to begin the process it comes back with a few errors:

1. Request SHSH from Cydia is currently set.

This can cause issues if you are trying to save

current SHSHs as Cydia is no longer able to

reliably proxy SHS requests.

Please change your settings in the Advanced tab and

click the Apply Changes button or use the Edit menu to

apply changes

Current log file

Do i simply uncheck "Request SHS from cydia and connect my device followed by a "save SHS" or should I halt and reconsider my options.

Yeah, forget about the Cydia SHSH and also you should try and get Tiny Umbrella working so that you save the SHSH blob for each version of iOS. Never know when you need to backtrack a version or two for whatever reason. You shouldn't need to be Jailbroken to get your SHSH blobs saved and backed-up with Tiny Umbrella.

Is there any point to back up (preserve?) SHSH blobs?

Umm...well, when there is a new iOS version sometimes there isn't a Jailbreak immediately following. Also, depending on the nature of the jailbreak, it may take awhile for something to come out. In the case of my iPhone 4 I think that the Jailbreak is now hardware based and impossible for Apple to ever patch out through a software update... But I still backup my SHSH blobs with TinyUmbrella. I also backup my iPad 3rd gen SHSH blobs with TinyUmbrella even though I've never jailbroken it before.

It may be just my personality but I really dislike how Apple forces new versions on you and does not give the option to downgrade. New iOS updates have caused problems with handsets before such as poor battery life after an update. I just like the peace of mind that I know what's going on with my iOS backups and I know what is going on with my iOS SHSH blobs.

Wow, thank you so much for the help guys! Really appreciate it. I love the customizations available so far. BTMono, Winterboard, so many things I have to learn yet, and be careful with, obviously.

My advice: go nuts with it at first just to see what is out there and figure out what you like. Then do a restore/rejailbreak and only install what you ended up using. For me, I jailbreak for 2 reasons, and 2 reasons only: MyWi (for free tethering because my carrier does not support any tethering) and BiteSMS. I don't even like Activator or SBSettings because I think they slow my phone down.