Ancient GPU woes

Ah damn I didn't realise there had been anymore posts

Thanks for the links, I`ll bookmark them, atm I've installed Ubuntu again and am currently trying to manually create a xorg.conf in /etc/X11

My success with that so far is booting up to "Signal out of range" on the screen and having to use a live cd to delete it

Don't know if you've tried this, but are the chipset drivers updated ?

Could make all the difference.

Yep :) All the drivers are great except the gpu, the PC was shipped with XP so all those drivers are on their site, but the GPU is like from the early 1900's I think, before XP was even a twinkle in gates eyes :p

I've been thinking about building a system out of old parts for vintage gaming. But I'm fearing it will happen the same to me: Driver hunting.

I've been thinking about building a system out of old parts for vintage gaming. But I'm fearing it will happen the same to me: Driver hunting.

Yea I assumed too much with this one I think, and forgot to check things like DirectX support, which is DX6 I think in this cards case, and pixel shader or something or other was unsupported etc so I couldn't even play with 3DMark 03

I`ll probably grab another not so old card at some point, the rest of the ageing system is fine with a 2.6GHz P4 and 1.5GB RAM, just needed a GPU boost to make it usable without hammer

Yea I assumed too much with this one I think, and forgot to check things like DirectX support, which is DX6 I think in this cards case, and pixel shader or something or other was unsupported etc so I couldn't even play with 3DMark 03

I`ll probably grab another not so old card at some point, the rest of the ageing system is fine with a 2.6GHz P4 and 1.5GB RAM, just needed a GPU boost to make it usable without hammer

I had a Radeon 9200 which did everything I needed in on XP-- not sure about gaming though you may want a 9500 or 9600

I think The lowest card I ran Xp on was a Radeon VE / 7000 video card. Which really was not a gaming card-- though also you may want to look into a 9800 or a 9650 ....That one may be a cheap and effective card.

How about a Radeon 8500? It was, in its time, the most popular card around so finding drivers should not be any trouble. Also it would be very cheap now.

Ok, I did some more research and Ubuntu 12.04 is never going to give me 3D Acceleration no matter what, so off with it's head again, and this time going for Windows 2000 Pro CD I found deep in the depths of a draw mainly consisting of dust and spiders

Something has to support it :p

Nice of Windows 2000 not to include a quick format option during setup...

Finally ! the "xpert 2000 pro" driver has installed with a forced install from device manager in windows 2000 pro and it even installed the Ati Tray Tools along with it, so I have fully installed graphics card now :D

As luck would have it, my wireless networking is not going so well this time, I don't think I have ever connected wirelessly with 2000 ever, and although I have installed a broadcom utility and it can see the network, I have entered the key etc and hit connect but it does nothing lol

Oh the joys, so close...

Yeah, the "GL" cards were workstation class and used completely different drivers than the normal Rage cards as I recall. I was going to dig out my old drivers DVD but it sounds like you found one. This is making me nostalgic, I may have to dig into my parts and rebuild my old gaming PC. :)

As your next experiment try getting OS/2 to run. Warp 4, or eComStation. Go ahead, I dare you. :p

haha :laugh: Windows 2000 is getting welded to that machine if I can get the wifi working :p

Actually pretty happy its win 2000, I remember it being a pretty indestructible OS

Finally ! the "xpert 2000 pro" driver has installed with a forced install from device manager in windows 2000 pro and it even installed the Ati Tray Tools along with it, so I have fully installed graphics card now :D

As luck would have it, my wireless networking is not going so well this time, I don't think I have ever connected wirelessly with 2000 ever, and although I have installed a broadcom utility and it can see the network, I have entered the key etc and hit connect but it does nothing lol

Oh the joys, so close...

The other issue is the Win2k drivers may not support the newer encryption protocols and that's one reason it could be failing (such as supporting WEP only, not newer WPA)

From what I remember, I've messed around with Win2k, you have to do a manual connection, and specific the SSID name, and settings.

There no built in wireless scan / connection manager. That was added to XP after launch, with one of the service packs.

Intel at least use to include a connection software with there wireless drivers pre-xp.

I picked up some cheap mini-usb wireless N adapters that happened to have Windows 2000 support and it worked (with full current wireless support).

I don't remembered the exact model, I picked them up dirt cheap from a deals.woot.com that someone submitted.

The other issue is the Win2k drivers may not support the newer encryption protocols and that's one reason it could be failing (such as supporting WEP only, not newer WPA) From what I remember, I've messed around with Win2k, you have to do a manual connection, and specific the SSID name, and settings. There no built in wireless scan / connection manager. That was added to XP after launch, with one of the service packs. Intel at least use to include a connection software with there wireless drivers pre-xp. I picked up some cheap mini-usb wireless N adapters that happened to have Windows 2000 support and it worked (with full current wireless support). I don't remembered the exact model, I picked them up dirt cheap from a deals.woot.com that someone submitted.

Yep that's what I just discovered, it does support WPA but not WPA2 which is my encryption... deciding on if its worth dropping the security for it to connect or not

Someone here (Last post) claims you can use WPA/2 but I'm not having much luck, gonna hook up another AP and drop security on that one to WPA or WEP

EDIT - Online with WEP on a 2nd AP