Advertisement in metro apps?!?

It's there probably because default users should have these apps when the user is created.

But these apps have nothing to do with the OS. faga1.gif

Even though they can't be removed?

Weird, I don't seem to have any ads in the weather app. There is a massive space where one could go but it's empty. I'm not using any software to block ads outside of chrome either...

It's location-dependant. I guess Microsoft has not yet closed a deal worldwide.

It's there probably because default users should have these apps when the user is created.

That part is correct.

There's also another spot where the application information is stored, and that's in the user profile and is separate from the WindowsApps folder.

That would be C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Local\Packages

I haven't slept in over 24 hours (working on a project) and so wasn't pointing to the correct folder when I was making my point.

So here's the final point.

Yes the packages are still stored on the machine in a default location for new user deployment, but the applications are still uninstalled like any other apps on a user basis.

So is there a default spot where the apps are housed for new users deployment purposes? Yes.

Can the user completely uninstall the app from their user profile? Yes.

Both sides have a point of sorts...I just posted about the wrong folder when I should have pointed to the one above...I will definitely blame my lack of sleep for that.

Third-party?

Sorry if you misunderstood what I meant (or if I phrased it incorrectly), but by "third-party" I meant apps which are either not included with the OS, or are made by non-Microsoft companies.

I'm counting seven right now, that do. That's 35% of the default apps shown on the Start screen

Would you mind listing them? I know that the news app does, but I haven't noticed it in any other apps. Not saying you're wrong, but just that I've not seen them.

Sorry if you misunderstood what I meant (or if I phrased it incorrectly), but by "third-party" I meant apps which are either not included with the OS, or are made by non-Microsoft companies.

That's why I'm confused though. Whether or not these Metro apps are considered to be an integral part of the OS, they're doubtlessly included with it and are both made and distributed by Microsoft themselves, aren't they? I don't get why you would categorize them as third-party apps? Or maybe I'm still misunderstanding the term or the point you're making?

Would you mind listing them?

Sure. It's the Music, Video, Weather, Travel, News, Sports and Finance apps. I've posted some screenshots a few pages back.

That's why I'm confused though. Whether or not these Metro apps are considered to be an integral part of the OS, they're doubtlessly included with it and are both made and distributed by Microsoft themselves, aren't they? I don't get why you would categorize them as third-party apps? Or maybe I'm still misunderstanding the term or the point you're making?

OK, let me rephrase my point, what I meant was that the person I was replying to was saying that iPhoto and iMovie don't have ads. My point was that iPhoto and iMovie were included with the OS, so you were essentially paying for them by purchasing the OS. As for non-Microsoft apps, those aren't making any money from the sale of the OS, so it's understandable (IMO) for them to have ads. When I meant "third party" apps having ads, I was referring to games like Untangle which are free and ad-supported.

Sure. It's the Music, Video, Weather, Travel, News, Sports and Finance apps. I've posted some screenshots a few pages back.

OK, I see ads in the Video, Travel, News, and Sports app. I also see where the ads are supposed to be for the Music and Weather apps, but for some reason they're not showing up. To be fully honest, I hadn't used many of those apps a lot before, and so I hadn't noticed them. After seeing the ads, I'm starting to agree that they are somewhat over the top. (IIRC) the Bing team has been having a horrible time making money off of Bing, so slapping ads on everything must just be some kind of last-resort or something to get money from the apps :\

• 3 weeks later...