Why encoding videos to .mp4 containers using h.264 codecs takes time?

As I requested earlier, what motherboard do you have? Your board supports only d-Mode from what you described, but I can't help you any more than I have without knowing the board directly.

I did replied my dear friend

It is Gigabyte z-68

1. Your i7 2600K does not have GPU (Intel HD 4000) within the chip, so you don't have integrated graphics.

2. Your NVIDIA GPU supports CUDA, which is the hardware necessary to encode and decode videos. Though you'll find good performance out of this only with good professional software, like Adobe's Premiere Pro (and a little hacking).

3. Encoding takes time because the computer needs to analyse millions and millions, if not billions of pixes per second, compress them and generate a new file. It is not like a "Save as" command to convert a file. Also, if you edited the video then it takes even more time than you can imagine.

As you seem to be a noob, I think you should stick to the options you already have or you should consider diving deeper in the technicals of all this, which is not very easy, I can tell you. :)

It seems that I will have to div because it is my business now and the more fast encoding I do with better quality the better business I can do.

I did replied my dear friend

It is Gigabyte z-68

It seems that I will have to div because it is my business now and the more fast encoding I do with better quality the better business I can do.

I would need the actual board not just the Manufacturer and Chipset combination. Gigabyte lists 22 Z68 motherboards on their site... The question is which one do you have?

I would need the actual board not just the Manufacturer and Chipset combination. Gigabyte lists 22 Z68 motherboards on their site... The question is which one do you have?

I think that even if he enables the iGPU in his motherboard, his NVIDIA counterpart is A LOT faster than that. So it wouldn't be much of a benefit for him to use it, unless he wants to offload his main processor unit, which is actually faster and more optimized to encode footage. Maybe it would make more sense in Haswell next year.

I think that even if he enables the iGPU in his motherboard, his NVIDIA counterpart is A LOT faster than that. So it wouldn't be much of a benefit for him to use it, unless he wants to offload his main processor unit, which is actually faster and more optimized to encode footage. Maybe it would make more sense in Haswell next year.

No, Nvidia's solution isn't faster than Intel's QuickSync technology which requires the i-GPU.

35054.png

Source: Anadtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/9

Yes you are ight.

I am afraid that I do not follow this part.

what details I should look for in my hardware to know if it is supporting or not?

when I use various encoders I used to see the option enabled for CUDA.

H.264 is a lossy compression format so in order to minimize the "loss" the video is analyzed to determine the best transition from frame to frame without blocking and pixelization. It's a very time-consuming process.

From my experience, videos like cartoons can be encoded very quickly. Usually about half the length of the video.

Standard color live-action takes a lot longer because of all the shadows and blended colors. (Generally about 1 1/2 times the run length.)

It frequently takes my PC at least twice the length of the movie to compress a black-and-white video.

If you're not worried about drive space and you can play back MKV, it's possible to just mux VOB files directly into the container very quickly.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3863#ov

He reported owing a gtx geforce 550 ti...But anyway, I don't know about this either.

Yes I do have it with core i7 2600k sandy bridge.

H.264 is a lossy compression format so in order to minimize the "loss" the video is analyzed to determine the best transition from frame to frame without blocking and pixelization. It's a very time-consuming process.

From my experience, videos like cartoons can be encoded very quickly. Usually about half the length of the video.

Standard color live-action takes a lot longer because of all the shadows and blended colors. (Generally about 1 1/2 times the run length.)

It frequently takes my PC at least twice the length of the movie to compress a black-and-white video.

If you're not worried about drive space and you can play back MKV, it's possible to just mux VOB files directly into the container very quickly.

I only can convert to .mp4 using h.264 as per clients asked for it in paticular to be displayed on thier websites without codecs.

As I mentioned in my last post, did you both ensure the Intel HD graphics chip is enabled in your BIOS and that the Intel HD graphics drivers are installed?

Also note, Lucid lists the following encoding applications as certified so they may offer the best performance.

CyberLink Media Espresso 6.5

ArcSoft Media converter 7

Tried them both now and my noes about them:-

1- do not support crop

2- do not support choosing custome bitrate below 512

3- do not support custom screen resolution for 16:9 but only some fixed ones.

4- VidCoder still the king regarding everything except the consumed time for encoding.

I only can convert to .mp4 using h.264 as per clients asked for it in paticular to be displayed on thier websites without codecs.

Unless you can get some kind of GPU acceleration working your best bet is what I do, then: queue them up in Handbrake/VidCoder before you go to bed. :)

http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3863#ov

Yes I do have it with core i7 2600k sandy bridge.

Tried them both now and my noes about them:-

1- do not support crop

2- do not support choosing custome bitrate below 512

3- do not support custom screen resolution for 16:9 but only some fixed ones.

4- VidCoder still the king regarding everything except the consumed time for encoding.

Get Premiere Pro CS6 and then try this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adobe-cs5-cuda-64-bit,2770-3.html

You'll get great performance and usability with batch processing and encoding options. Done :)

if any one wonder why I am asking or concerned about time factor ?

The answer is that I am working with my oown business and it is a small media production company located in Egypt with short term contracts with local TV Channels and we are recording the original stream using PCI satalitte cards then do video editing to cut off commercials and un wanted parts then upload two copies one to its associated youtube channel and the other one to the local tv channel server website.

so we do edit the .ts or .mpeg-2 file to do crop and cut then do the encoding ... that is all :)

So the more speed encoding I do the better business I can do.

I remember that I did posted about what I am doing previously in a thread here before.

That is all :)

if any one wonder why I am asking or concerned about time factor ?

The answer is that I am working with my oown business and it is a small media production company located in Egypt with short term contracts with local TV Channels and we are recording the original stream using PCI satalitte cards then do video editing to cut off commercials and un wanted parts then upload two copies one to its associated youtube channel and the other one to the local tv channel server website.

so we do edit the .ts or .mpeg-2 file to do crop and cut then do the encoding ... that is all :)

So the more speed encoding I do the better business I can do.

I remember that I did posted about what I am doing previously in a thread here before.

That is all :)

Refer to my earlier post and you're done. I also have a media production company. ;)

Unless you can get some kind of GPU acceleration working your best bet is what I do, then: queue them up in Handbrake/VidCoder before you go to bed. :)

of course that would work if it was my personal videos to queue them and what so ever it takes it will not be an issue. but imaagine if you are encoding about 200 GB per day or in other words 200 hours per day, really differ.

Pretty much what GreyWolf said.

I do wish if I can do so.

Get Premiere Pro CS6 and then try this http://www.tomshardw...bit,2770-3.html

You'll get great performance and usability with batch processing and encoding options. Done :)

Actually I tried the trial version of preimere and vegas and reallyfound it takes time to do the adjust and importing ...etc

the only encoder client that is amazing speedy is WinAVI but it is the good quality as I am looking for and its resulted file size is some how big.

Thanks for that. From a look at the specifications page and the manual it doesn't look like your board supports Virtu or having the i-GPU activated for use at all.

Oh, I am sorry that it is so, I've it since a year and it was the most recent one in our local markets here in Egypt - Cairo.

Refer to my earlier post and you're done. I also have a media production company. ;)

What post please link it.

of course that would work if it was my personal videos to queue them and what so ever it takes it will not be an issue. but imaagine if you are encoding about 200 GB per day or in other words 200 hours per day, really differ.

I do wish if I can do so.

Actually I tried the trial version of preimere and vegas and reallyfound it takes time to do the adjust and importing ...etc

the only encoder client that is amazing speedy is WinAVI but it is the good quality as I am looking for and its resulted file size is some how big.

Oh, I am sorry that it is so, I've it since a year and it was the most recent one in our local markets here in Egypt - Cairo.

What post please link it.

Premiere Pro is the best you can get for the kind of work you want to do. The trial version won't do because it lacks a lot of codecs. Once you set up a profile for the conversion you want to do, you then use Media Encoder from Premiere pro to list all the files, select them and apply the profile. Hit START and just wait.

You won't get the speed and high quality that you want if you don't invest on better hardware. Otherwise you get lower quality, which you don't want.

don't mess up the codec with the container. encoding always takes a long time.

container is another thing. if you have the thing already encoded and want to change the container, its pretty much just shuffling data around so it will depend on the file size.

Premiere Pro is the best you can get for the kind of work you want to do. The trial version won't do because it lacks a lot of codecs. Once you set up a profile for the conversion you want to do, you then use Media Encoder from Premiere pro to list all the files, select them and apply the profile. Hit START and just wait.

To encode a file with a 1 hour length using .h264 with 512k bitrate how much time does it takes?

You won't get the speed and high quality that you want if you don't invest on better hardware. Otherwise you get lower quality, which you don't want.
Please advise for which hardware I should get? if my hardware not fits?

don't mess up the codec with the container. encoding always takes a long time.

container is another thing. if you have the thing already encoded and want to change the container, its pretty much just shuffling data around so it will depend on the file size.

The original container is .ts and I do crop and encode into .mp4 using h.264 profile.

What about RipBot264? I love the fact that you can do distributed encoding across up to 8 computers. Talk about performance increase when you can have so many computers at once encoding!

i downloaded it adn it is .7z file but it seems that it does not want to run at al.

i downloaded it adn it is .7z file but it seems that it does not want to run at al.

It's a compressed file similar to .zip or .rar. You'll need to extract with 7Zip or other ZIP utility.

It's a compressed file similar to .zip or .rar. You'll need to extract with 7Zip or other ZIP utility.

Yes I've just installed 7z 64x version but not working.

What about RipBot264? I love the fact that you can do distributed encoding across up to 8 computers. Talk about performance increase when you can have so many computers at once encoding!

is it an encoder or a tool to destribute media accross computers?

I am looking for an encoder.

Yes I've just installed 7z 64x version but not working.

You have to extract the files within...

His post says exactly what it is... " distributed encoding "

That means it distributes the task of frame encoding over multiple computers, reducing the overall time needed by the number of computers involved. It's a technique that's used a lot in 3D rendering "render farms".

With respect, if you don't know this sort of information already, I'm not sure you're in the right line of business... I have nothing to do with the media industry, but seem to know the basics more than you do...

It's an encoder, and a darn high quality one too. You add your .ts, .m2ts,.mkv, vob, etc. (LOTS of formats supported) and fill out the settings accordingly and it will use up to 8 separate computers to work on that one task.

Basically: Use 4 computers it's roughly 4 times faster than using 1 computer.