Game issues on Windows 8 RTM

All of a sudden I can run very few games on Windows 8 that I used to be able to. For instance, Diablo 3 encounters an unexpected error, Dungeon Siege 3 says it couldn't created Direct 3D device, no games for windows games like Fable 3 or Dirt 3 will work. Do any of these games work for you guys? In particular Diablo 3? I wonder if I need to reinstall them...

All of a sudden I can run very few games on Windows 8 that I used to be able to. For instance, Diablo 3 encounters an unexpected error, Dungeon Siege 3 says it couldn't created Direct 3D device, no games for windows games like Fable 3 or Dirt 3 will work. Do any of these games work for you guys? In particular Diablo 3? I wonder if I need to reinstall them...

"could not create Direct3D device" sound like a driver and/or DirectX issue to me.

Run dxdiag and see if it mentions anything.

Diablo III runs fine on Windows 8 RTM, so it's definitely an issue with your setup. As mentioned, make sure your graphics drivers are up to date and you have the latest version of DirectX installed.

I have 304.79. How do I install the latest DirectX? When I google it I see references to version 9 but isn't DirectX up to 11 now?

I have 304.79. How do I install the latest DirectX? When I google it I see references to version 9 but isn't DirectX up to 11 now?

Those are the same drivers I'm running, so they definitely work. Each version of DirectX is separate, so DX11 doesn't supersede DX9 as such - they run independently. That means installing an older version won't mess up DX11 games but can fix problems for DX9 games.

How did you install the games? Pretty much every game you install should install DirectX and if you use Steam (obviously not for Diablo III) then it should install all the necessary runtimes, even if you downloaded them before installing Windows. Some games also require the .NET runtime and I know that at least one game I installed required an older version that wasn't installed by default with Windows 8. You can find that here if you need it.

Well, I just reinstalled my video drivers and Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 both work now. All games for windows live do not however, but I suspect that may be fixed as the retail release of W8 approaches.

Well, I just reinstalled my video drivers and Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 both work now. All games for windows live do not however, but I suspect that may be fixed as the retail release of W8 approaches.

Games For Windows Live works fine, you just need to download the updated installer. You should find the latest installer here.

Something's been bugging me ever since I heard they had started to push Skype updates via Windows Update.

If WU can update Skype, why the feck are they not using it to keep DX9, GfWL, Windows Essentials, etc up to date also? It's most annoying.

No big deal for me If some of the games don't work on Windows 8 I will wait for the newer games that supports the OS, Since i'm not much of a gamer.

Something's been bugging me ever since I heard they had started to push Skype updates via Windows Update.

If WU can update Skype, why the feck are they not using it to keep DX9, GfWL, Windows Essentials, etc up to date also? It's most annoying.

With the DX stuff, they let games update that as they install because sometimes the games require specific files that aren't part of the normal distribution. I know it sounds odd but that's the case...usually it's because of a specific usage scenario.

As far as I'm aware GFWL client updates are handled via WU, as are WE updates if you have WU set to do MU updates as well.

Games For Windows Live works fine, you just need to download the updated installer. You should find the latest installer here.

That made no difference. Fable III still loads to a black screen with the custom pointer. Lastest nVidia drivers, latest GFWL.

That made no difference. Fable III still loads to a black screen with the custom pointer. Lastest nVidia drivers, latest GFWL.

I own Fable III. Let me install it and see what happens on my end here. Note I am using an AMD card, so that may cause a bit of a difference.

• 2 months later...

Batman Arkham City and Batman Arkham Asylum both GFWL titles don't work correctly for me. The usual pressing of the END key does not bring the profile selection dropdown, so while the game may work you can't actually save anything because you can't access your profile.

Edit: Fixed for me, simply just uninstalled everything related to GFWL, rebooted and re-installed the client and it's working again :)

The only time I had problems with games is when I had hyperv installed, hyperv has some low level processes that run that slow games down a bit. Otherwise for me, gaming is faster in win8 for me.