SSD Usage

So I recently built a new computer and bought the Samsung 830 128GB SSD drive, my first SSD. So far, I've installed Win7 and some widely used programs such as Office, Photoshop/Lightroom, and a game (League of Legends). I still have roughly 80GB left, as well as a separate 500GB HD.

Is there any reason why I couldn't just use my SSD as a normal HD and basically install everything on there, or store a bunch of stuff there? Other than photos, which I would plan on loading onto the 500GB HD, I don't really install much. Should I worry about the SSD dying sooner just from normal use?

I'll probably use this comp for 5 years or so, and just build another or buy another comp. Do I really need to worry about the SSD?

Use it just like any other Hard Drive.

If you install Windows 7 on it, it will configure itself automatically to disable defrag, pre-fetch, etc... If you clone a system to the SDD, you need to check these settings, as sometimes they are not set automatically.

As to the lifespan, don't worry about it, it will outlast your 5 year plan of keeping it. Unless it breaks, of course. But you don't need to worry about wearing it out.

Technically, that drive uses MLC NAND Flash memory.

Quoted from 3D Guru:

(any SSD article)

MLC VS. SLC

At the beginning, memory cells stored just a single bit of information. However, the charge on the floating gate can be controlled with some level of precision, allowing to store more information than just 0 and 1. Basing on such assumption the MLC (Multi Level Cell) memory came to exist. To distinguish them, the old memory type was called SLC - Single Level Cell.

The decision of choosing between SLC of MLC is driven by many factors such as memory performance, number of target erase/program cycles and level of data reliability. The MLC memory endurance is significantly lower (around 10'000 erase/program cycles) comparing to SLC endurance (around 100'000 cycles).

So what about that new 25nm NAND lifespan?

In 2011 new 25nm NAND FLASH memory was introduced, designed to be cheaper. The overall lifespan of the ICs has been reduced from 10.000 towards 5,000 program/erase cycles. Rumors are, that the numbers for consumer grade 25nm NAND flash memory (as used on the SSD tested today) are even lower at 3000 program/erase cycles.

But granted, as drastic as that sounds, it's all relative as this lifespan will very likely last longer than any mechanical HDD. Drive wearing protection and careful usage will help you out greatly. With an SSD filled normally and very heavy writing/usage of say 10GB data each day 365 days a year, you'd be looking at roughly 22 full SSD write cycles per year, out of the 3000 (worst case scenario) available. However, all calculations on this matter are debatable and theoretical as usage differs and even things like how much free space you leave on your SSD can effect the drive.

Do the math, and you'll see that this lasts a very very long time.

(bar a failure of course)

As to what to store where, that is personal preference.

I also have an 240GB SSD and a 3TB drive. I have moved the My Documents Library to the 3TB drive, as I have a lot of pictures and documents, whcih I don't use often. They would take away more than half my SSD space. Things I want to be fast like applications and games I install on the SSD, obviously. Things you don't need to be loading fast or perform fast, you can install on the 500GB drive, depending on how much space you are dealing with.

Don't mess with the page file, there is no need. Windows manages it just fine.

Anyway, the best advice other people here have given:

1. use it as a regular HDD
  2. Back up your data regardless of where it is

Enjoy your drive!! :)