Start8 brings the Start Menu back

Is there a utility to bring the shadows back as well? :p

That really bugged me with DP/CP/RP as well. But for the RTM UI, it doesn't. There is a microscopic shadow under foreground windows anyway. I like it. I like the flat, clean & white look. I hate the cheesey recycle bin and other icons. Death to skewanominics (or whatever they call it! :) )

That really bugged me with DP/CP/RP as well. But for the RTM UI, it's doesn't. There is a microscopic shadow under foreground windows anyway. I like it. I like the flat, clean & white look.

Yes. I mostly agree. Which is why in general I prefer the Windows 8 desktop theme compared to Windows 7's (at least with the reduced border hack and reduced title bar size). I'm mostly concerned about inactive windows which simply run into each other and are sometimes hard to tell apart from each other.

And, yes, it would be nice to have icons that are more fitting to the new theme...

It looks great, it looks like how Win8 should have been.

There's no reason why you can't have the start menu AND the metro interface

There must have been a reason, otherwise Microsoft wouldn't have got rid of it. In fact, there were probably many reasons, and Brandon Live once explained some of those reasons. There were underlying problems with how the Start Menu worked with many of the new features. I will try to find his post at some point.

Easy prediction: Start8 will be downloaded and installed 1 billion times, will ship with almost every new Windows 8-powered computer (after the first, disastrous run past-October 26) and will then be integrated within Windows 9 a year after the departure of Steve Ballmer as the worst CEO Microsoft will ever have :-P

If Microsoft ever replace the Start screen with this awful Start Menu idea, I might finally switch to OS X, especially if other parts of the new experience were replaced with the old.

Yes. I mostly agree. Which is why in general I prefer the Windows 8 desktop theme compared to Windows 7's (at least with the reduced border hack and reduced title bar size). I'm mostly concerned about inactive windows which simply run into each other and are sometimes hard to tell apart from each other.

And, yes, it would be nice to have icons that are more fitting to the new theme...

I'm so quick to hack the border-size, I forget I do it! I still don't understand the rational - surely where the window edge is is obvious to anyone?

I tried YZShadow, which used to a personal essential for Windows XP, but it doesn't seem to work so well. Not part of DWM anyway.

Guys, Price?

Haven't they say more than once it will freeware always, only OEMs will have to pay to include it in their distributions.

Yes it will be freeware, this was stated right from the very beginning.

There must have been a reason, otherwise Microsoft wouldn't have got rid of it. In fact, there were probably many reasons, and Brandon Live once explained some of those reasons.

If Microsoft ever replace the Start screen with this awful Start Menu idea, I might finally switch to OS X, especially if other parts of the new experience were replaced with the old.

And your opinion on 7 was?

Like it or not, the start screen has severe limitations, I don't care what Microsoft's reasons were. Offering a simple option for people would have been enough to quell a lot of the negative reviews that the 8 experience has been receiving. This is really a perfect solution, it cures Windows 8's skitzophrenic personality while still allowing you to go into metro mode whenever you want.

I honestly see OEM's all over bundling this with Windows 8 PC's to avoid support calls and send a VERY strong message to Microsoft. And whether you like it or not, Microsoft will have to listen.

I tried YZShadow, which used to a personal essential for Windows XP, but it doesn't seem to work so well. Not part of DWM anyway.

Yeah, I remember using that with Windows XP :D (and possibly Windows 2000 as well? - not quite sure anymore)

Just a heads-up: Posts in here are becoming off topic. I think all posts discussing advantages/disadvantages of Windows 8 should be moved to the official Windows 8 thread (which I will do shortly), and this topic should only be for discussing Start8 itself. Feel free to send me a personal message if you disagee.

Yes it will be freeware, this was stated right from the very beginning.

And your opinion on 7 was?

[. . .]

I was ready to move to Apple products, mainly due to the unified experience, if Microsoft hadn't made Windows 8 similar to Windows Phone (especially in terms of looks). I preferred OS X to Windows 7. Luckily for me, Microsoft went one step further; they didn't just design Windows to look like Windows Phone, they created a whole new experience that feels like Windows Phone but that is more advanced, and they have pleased me greatly.

[. . .]

Like it or not, the start screen has severe limitations, I don't care what Microsoft's reasons were. Offering a simple option for people would have been enough to quell a lot of the negative reviews that the 8 experience has been receiving. This is really a perfect solution, it cures Windows 8's skitzophrenic personality while still allowing you to go into metro mode whenever you want.

[. . .]

You must be willing to hear their reasons, in case it was simply impossible for them to provide both experiences exactly as you'd like. Either way, the Start screen doesn't appear to have any severe limitations. The new experience overall is more limited than the old, but I prefer the new way of working, and I'm actually glad that certain limitations were put in place (e.g. windows cannot overlap).

[. . .]

I honestly see OEM's all over bundling this with Windows 8 PC's to avoid support calls and send a VERY strong message to Microsoft. And whether you like it or not, Microsoft will have to listen.

We'll see. I instead see the Start screen succeeding. A vocal group seems to complain in all instances of change, as is evident when Facebook improve their products. Facebook haven't ever gone back to a previous profile design because of that vocal group.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the "Highlight newly installed programs"?

I just sent a request to Stardock tech support for an option to disable it.

Maybe you should do the same?

I am still waiting for some official drivers from my laptop manufacture to enjoy the full potential of Windows 8. But at the current state Windows 8 is already much faster and you could feel the internal improvement made compared to Windows 7.

But the problem is the interface generally slow down your work flow.

I have been forcing myself to use Windows 8 more then a few months. And now at least i could live with it. I dont like it. But instead of hate i can put up with it.

And it wasn't until Start8, it makes me realize how intuitive it was before. One Single Click access to all your apps, Setting, etc. Along with the new logo ( why didn't Start 8 uses the Window 8 logo as default ) it just make Windows 8 feels complete.

And finally EVERYONE could enjoy Windows 8.