iCloud with 2 ios devices for the first time

Hey guys, I have an iPhone and an iPod Touch with different apps and everything (different users before), and just updated to latest firmware with iCloud. Now I want to backup both devices and link to the same iCloud account. Will data from both devices mix together or will I have to sacrifice data from one device and only backup one?

you will be fine as long as each device has a different name.. I do this with my ipad, iphone and wifes iphone using the same icloud account. Works great

Only iCloud synched App Data storage and iMessages (not regular SMS/MMS) is synchronized if you wish so.

Local-only storing apps don't magically sync, unless they offer stuff like export/storage via Dropbox/Box/...

And any other iCloud data like Reminders, Calendars, Mails, Notes and the other standard suspects.

Glassed Silver:mac

So are you saying that the iCloud will have two separate backups? What if I want the devices to shares some same info, like messages?

They will have two separate backups. As for shared messages, only iMessages sent to and from you will be shared, whether iCloud is turned on or not, so long as they're both signed into iMessage with the same Apple ID. In practice, the messages don't always share properly so be aware of that.

For devices to share data, the app must explicitly take advantage of iCloud storage.

Oh, but for Notes, you guys are saying it does sync to iCloud,right? So let's say I have some notes on my iPhone, and some notes on my iPod (different notes). How will they sync together? If they are completely different backups, how do I get my notes on my iPod to appear on my iPhone?

you are using the same iCloud account name. Thats what makes them sync together. iCloud syncs your notes, calenders, contacts, etc together if you tell it to as long as you use the same iCloud account

Oh, but for Notes, you guys are saying it does sync to iCloud,right? So let's say I have some notes on my iPhone, and some notes on my iPod (different notes). How will they sync together? If they are completely different backups, how do I get my notes on my iPod to appear on my iPhone?

Messages, notes, reminders, etc. sync according to your iCloud account. Backups are separate from that syncing and are done per device.

Only iCloud synched App Data storage and iMessages (not regular SMS/MMS) is synchronized if you wish so.

Local-only storing apps don't magically sync, unless they offer stuff like export/storage via Dropbox/Box/...

And any other iCloud data like Reminders, Calendars, Mails, Notes and the other standard suspects.

Glassed Silver:mac

Just as a sidenote...sms/mms do get backed up to icloud. I do nightly backups and have restored multiple times over the months. And all of my regular sms/mms messages from non-icloud/imessage accounts get restored.

Just as a sidenote...sms/mms do get backed up to icloud. I do nightly backups and have restored multiple times over the months. And all of my regular sms/mms messages from non-icloud/imessage accounts get restored.

Backed up as part of your device's backup image, but not kept in sync between multiple iOS devices.