Science vs Religion

Science vs Religion  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Science vs Religion - Which do you believe?

I don't think it's that black and white. I wouldn't say I believe either one or the other?I just believe what has been proven as fact, whether that's scientific, whether it's a religious belief, or whether it's related to both science and religion.

Having said that, if an entire religion and/or their god was proven to be true, I still probably wouldn't follow that religion or that god, although I would of course believe it to be true.

Both Science & Religion are flawed --- they also both have elements of truth.

In the 'future', they will meet in the middle. ;)

Science isn't flawed, there are just things we don't know yet. Then there are two groups of people that stem from that. The people who can accept that we don't know everything, and in due time, we will learn more and more about our history and future, and there are groups that can't handle not knowing the answer and turn to fairy tales to provide their answers.

• Like 2

I despise organized religion because it tends to overemphasize one aspect or the other of the Bible/Quran/Torah. I believe the Bible, in context. I believe some of the conclusions drawn from science, but certainly not all of it.

• Like 1

I despise organized religion because it tends to overemphasize one aspect or the other of the Bible/Quran/Torah. I believe the Bible, in context. I believe some of the conclusions drawn from science, but certainly not all of it.

What science that is generally accepted are you against?

I believe science but I'm sort of skeptical about it at the same time.We know a great deal but we still have a lot to learn too.

BTW, I despise organized religion as well.

What science that is generally accepted are you against?

That would be a topic for another thread, no need to derail this one ;)

Anyone who asserts that they "believe some science" is clearly confused as to what science actually is.

No confusion here, but if you want to parse words I only believe some of the conclusions that have been drawn from science.

really only the third option is the logical choice. The first one proves you are not using science if you select it. The second would prove you have nothing but blind faith which contradicts the notion of using your brain. So while the third choice leaves one potentially being a hopeless atheist, it does cover the logical choice.

There is much that Science believes, that simply is not true. ;)

What exactly does science "believe that is simply not true"?

Care to give an example?

That would be a topic for another thread, no need to derail this one ;)

So, you make a statement, and when called out on it you dodge the bullet?

Why make it then?

Out of the 2 I am only interested in science, although to say one "believes in science" is daft, as science is just a means to an end.

What exactly does science "believe that is simply not true"?

Care to give an example?

So, you make a statement, and when called out on it you dodge the bullet?

Why make it then?

The topic was asked and answered. I've been here long enough to know better than take your bait that will result in derailing a thread. Nothing I can say here that I haven't said elsewhere on the board about what I specifically believe.

Out of the 2 I am only interested in science, although to say one "believes in science" is daft, as science is just a means to an end.

Exactly. I should have made my statement clearer by emphasizing the silliness of the word "believe" as well as "some".

Science is not a belief system - at least not in the sense that most people use the word belief.

• Like 2

The topic was asked and answered. I've been here long enough to know better than take your bait that will result in derailing a thread. Nothing I can say here that I haven't said elsewhere on the board about what I specifically believe.

Would it be off-topic to ask why would you believe in some conclusions of science and not others?

How would it be derailing the thread? The question asked is directly related to the thread topic.

In any event, can you point me to the thread where it was answered?