Michael Dorn Confirms He

7k7E9s7.jpg

Geek favorites Bryan Fuller and Bryan Singer have been forthcoming about their hopes for bringing Star Trek back to the small screen, after the release of J.J. Abrams? elusive sequel to his Trek movie reboot next summer. However, it turns out those two aren?t the only ones with big dreams about a new TV series set in that sci-fi universe ? Michael Dorn is also taking steps to reprise his signature Trek role on a spinoff, tentatively titled Star Trek: Captain Worf.

Worf, Son of Mogh, of course, is the first Klingon main character on a Star Trek TV series. He appeared on The Next Generation throughout its seven-season run, then became a Deep Space Nine regular for its last four seasons. Dorn portrayed Worf in all four Next Generation films; in addition, he played Worf?s grandfather, Colonel Worf, in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Rumors and reports about a prospective Worf spinoff began circulating earlier this year ? which, perhaps not-so-coincidentally, marks the 25th anniversary of The Next Generation. Trek News caught up with recently with Dorn, who gave them the following exclusive ?scoop? on the project:

?I had come up with the idea because I love [Worf] and I think he?s a character that hasn?t been fully developed and hasn?t been fully realized. Once I started thinking about it, it became obvious to me that I wanted to at least put it out there, which I have, and the response has been pretty amazing. We?ve been contacted by different individuals?I can?t say who and all that?about wanting to come on board and be part of this. ?

The in-progress subtitle Captain Worf is open to interpretation, as far as indications for when, exactly, the TV series could take place. Such a Star Trek spinoff would, for certain, retain the ensemble format of its predecessors to some degree ? with a focus on the adventures of Worf and a new group of space explorers. Morever, Dorn says the show isn?t so much a pipe dream as one might think (at first):

?Interestingly enough it has gotten traction. I was very surprised, I was on a movie not too long ago, where one of the producers was basically lobbying to be part of it. He was like ?Michael, I?d love to write it, if you haven?t.? So at this point, my agents and my manager are looking at all the avenues and trying to figure out which is the best one. My agent and manager have been in the business for awhile, so they?re very savvy about where to start and how to get it going. Like I said, in this business you never know and I?ve been through pitching things and I never want to do that again [laughs]. It?s pretty brutal, but definitely I think once again, if Paramount or CBS or anybody thinks this is a viable thing, they?ll jump on it.?

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-captain-worf-tv-show-michael-dorn/

• Like 1

I'd watch it. Worf is one of my favourite Star Trek characters. I liked him because of his uniqueness. He's one of the most serious characters on TNG and DS9 but was also, at times, the funniest one. I think that his sense of identity is what made him stand apart from other characters.

I recently read the Star Trek: Destiny novels. It's a trilogy of novels that covers multiple eras. In the post-TNG era, Worf isn't a captain. I believe it was set after 2381

with a full-scale Borg invasion of the alpha quadrant

. If this show is made then it would have to take place after the events of the novels.

• Like 1

I was never a huge fan of Worf. His character was generally too two-dimensional, the whole honour thing was boring and the Dax marriage thing was ridiculous.

Having said all that, I wouldn't say no to a new Trek series and would be really interested to see how they fit it in to the new timeline set in the last movie. If this does go ahead I really hope they lose the serial format they employed in Voyager and the last couple of years of Enterprise. I prefer the stand-alone episode format where they explore a new conundrum/issue each week.

• Like 1

But... But... Wasn't this future erased? ;)

I'd still watch it. But what would be the premise? Klingons are Federation allies, Romulus has been destroyed, the Borg are picking up the pieces after their encounter with a future Janeway, and the Dominion have been banished back to the Gamma Quadrant.

im hope the story line is he goes back to the KDF, i forget what he did after DS9.

would love to see a Klingon Based Series

I'm with H-I-a-h-b! Oh man, if they did this as him being a KLINGON Captain, this would be A W E S O M E ! Think of the new types of story lines you could have with a Klingon ship maintaining and expanding the borders of an empire. It would be a difficult sell for some I think, but I'd watch it.

So it'd be like Tim Russ's thing - fanfic with a bit of a budget?

I don't think so. Star Trek: Of Gods and Men was a mini-web series. I think Michael Dorn wants this to be a big budget TV show.

I was never a huge fan of Worf. His character was generally too two-dimensional, the whole honour thing was boring and the Dax marriage thing was ridiculous.

Having said all that, I wouldn't say no to a new Trek series and would be really interested to see how they fit it in to the new timeline set in the last movie. If this does go ahead I really hope they lose the serial format they employed in Voyager and the last couple of years of Enterprise. I prefer the stand-alone episode format where they explore a new conundrum/issue each week.

As you may or may not already know, the events in the 2009 Star Trek movie took place in an alternate reality. It would be interesting if this show takes place in the same reality but I doubt it would. The alternate reality is still a work in progress and no one knows what would happen in an alternate 24th century.

I wouldn't mind some 2-part episodes but for the most part, I prefer standalone episodes too.

But... But... Wasn't this future erased? ;)

I'd still watch it. But what would be the premise? Klingons are Federation allies, Romulus has been destroyed, the Borg are picking up the pieces after their encounter with a future Janeway, and the Dominion have been banished back to the Gamma Quadrant.

Going by my knowledge of Star Trek, I think the main reality still exists. There's more to the Star Trek universe than the shows. A lot happens after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis and before the destruction Romulus.

im hope the story line is he goes back to the KDF, i forget what he did after DS9.

would love to see a Klingon Based Series

I don't think we'd see that. There are multiple novels out there that portray Worf as a Federation officer. I don't think he'd ever go back to the Klingon Defence Force.

After DS9 and the Dominion war, he became the first officer of the Enterprise.

This would be cool, I'd love to see a new series following the TNG / DS9 / VOY universe, and Dorn could pull it off. Just need to fix that stuff with Janeway / Voyager.

• Like 1

But doesn't this...

As you may or may not already know, the events in the 2009 Star Trek movie took place in an alternate reality. It would be interesting if this show takes place in the same reality but I doubt it would. The alternate reality is still a work in progress and no one knows what would happen in an alternate 24th century.

Offer a carrot of hope against this...?

I don't think we'd see that. There are multiple novels out there that portray Worf as a Federation officer. I don't think he'd ever go back to the Klingon Defence Force.

After DS9 and the Dominion war, he became the first officer of the Enterprise.

One issue with Worf having a command role is that in one of the episodes he screwed up a mission to save his wife instead. Sisko told him that he probably will never have a command again (higher then his current that is).

I agree with you, except for the part about a stand-alone format. The reason I hold DS9 to be the best Star Trek series is precisely because of its long story arcs and incredible depth; the third season of Enterprise did a similar thing to great effect. Babylon 5 also went for large story arcs and just wouldn't have been as powerful without that. However, I do also very much like the stand-alone format of TNG and there's no doubt it's more accessible to the public.

just read up on whats up with Worf (as didnt know anything regarding worf after the dominion war where i thought he joined the KDF during the war ), the story where he is first officer is Non-Cannon, but he was en-route to the wedding of riker / diana wearing a fed uniform that is cannon.

BUT: in the cannon offical prequal ( Star Trek: Countdown ) to Star trek (Abrams), before the Narada incident, Worf is a General in the KDF, which means this show will more then likely show what happened between the wedding wearing the uniform, and the KDF General

But doesn't this...

Offer a carrot of hope against this...?

I didn't say it was impossible. Who knows what Kirk will do in the Star Trek sequel. I'm sure whatever he does will have ramifications for the future.

One issue with Worf having a command role is that in one of the episodes he screwed up a mission to save his wife instead. Sisko told him that he probably will never have a command again (higher then his current that is).

If I remember correctly, it was vaguely mentioned in one of the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy novels. The episode you're referring to is episode 16 of DS9's 6th season.

just read up on whats up with Worf (as didnt know anything regarding worf after the dominion war where i thought he joined the KDF during the war ), the story where he is first officer is Non-Cannon, but he was en-route to the wedding of riker / diana wearing a fed uniform that is cannon.

BUT: in the cannon offical prequal ( Star Trek: Countdown ) to Star trek (Abrams), before the Narada incident, Worf is a General in the KDF, which means this show will more then likely show what happened between the wedding wearing the uniform, and the KDF General

I didn't know the Destiny novels were non-canon. I guess that explains the surprising turn of events and the revelations about the Borg.

I agree with you, except for the part about a stand-alone format. The reason I hold DS9 to be the best Star Trek series is precisely because of its long story arcs and incredible depth; the third season of Enterprise did a similar thing to great effect. Babylon 5 also went for large story arcs and just wouldn't have been as powerful without that. However, I do also very much like the stand-alone format of TNG and there's no doubt it's more accessible to the public.

+1

I didn't know the Destiny novels were non-canon. I guess that explains the surprising turn of events and the revelations about the Borg.

... dont make me read it dude, i got enough novels im reading ATM, Speak up, what turn and revelations, especially regarding the Borg, they are my Favorite Race ( if you can call them that ) in the ST Universe

FYI, the word you're looking for is "canon."

My main problem with Start Trek: Enterprise was the non-stop self-righteous attitude of Archer and his crew. Their narrow-mindedness was mind boggling really. Their sense of morality is unrealistic and then there's that damn lesson always to be learned at the end of the episode where everything works out just fine. My god. They've also never really updated the technology to reflect our current understanding of things. My 27-inch iMac and new iPad look more advanced than many of the tech they're using. They really expecting me to believe that our first warp 5 ship is still using 15-inch LCD-panels combined with dials and switches running some version of MS DOS?

The makers need to roughen things up a whole lot more and update the technology. These aren't the 60s-70s anymore.

My main problem with Start Trek: Enterprise was the non-stop self-righteous attitude of Archer and his crew. Their narrow-mindedness was mind boggling really. Their sense of morality is unrealistic and then there's that damn lesson always to be learned at the end of the episode where everything works out just fine. My god. They've also never really updated the technology to reflect our current understanding of things. My 27-inch iMac and new iPad look more advanced than many of the tech they're using. They really expecting me to believe that our first warp 5 ship is still using 15-inch LCD-panels combined with dials and switches running some version of MS DOS?

i agree to a point, the self-righteous is present even to day regarding the US, UN and just about every country believe they are right and everybody else should follow them, attitude towards other species is roughly the same

as far as the Tech, take a look at the ISS and the Previous Space Shuttles. the tech is far from current in those, because they are built for reliability, i belive the same would be for a warp capable ship, there would NOT be recent up to date tech in there, there would be older, cheap tech with multiple bakcups

i agree to a point, the self-righteous is present even to day regarding the US, UN and just about every country believe they are right and everybody else should follow them, attitude towards other species is roughly the same

The main characters of Enterprise acted like 8-year olds with the captain as their teenage father. It wouldn't be unrealistic if they acted a bit more mature about things.

as far as the Tech, take a look at the ISS and the Previous Space Shuttles. the tech is far from current in those, because they are built for reliability, i belive the same would be for a warp capable ship, there would NOT be recent up to date tech in there, there would be older, cheap tech with multiple bakcups

You're talking about 40 year difference at most. Not a 150 year difference.