Win7 has become slow and unstable after 2yrs

Well after 2yrs of a stable, fast running Win7 install, it has finally become almost too slow and unstable to be bearable. Not sure what has happened. I have scanned for malware. Nothing. I have run sfc /scannow and found no issues. I use crap cleaner and defrag regularly. Hdd is about 2yrs old. SpinRite detects no issues. Never used it before myself, but my son in law uses it regularly as he is a pc tech and trusts it. Even used the Win7 error checking and no issues.

Not sure what else to try at this point.

Did you also check your starting services in CCleaner>Tools>Startup and also whats running in Windows task manager. I would guess your using a decent antivirus/security program. Have you also ran Malwarebytes also to run a scan to make sure you don't have any crapware slowing you down. Sometimes you can have some conflicting software running at the same time. Instead of having to reinstalling your OS and then REinstalling all your drivers etc, make a backup disk image of your OS once a month or every few weeks after you have got it running smooth and clean. It seems that house cleaning never ends with Windows.

Time for an SSD Upgrade! My 3+ year RTM install boot time was so slow, I loathed rebooting. Put an SSD in, now it's amazing! That's with only an 80gb boot drive.

• Like 3

Did you also check your starting services in CCleaner>Tools>Startup and also whats running in Windows task manager. I would guess your using a decent antivirus/security program. Have you also ran Malwarebytes also to run a scan to make sure you don't have any crapware slowing you down. Sometimes you can have some conflicting software running at the same time. Instead of having to reinstalling your OS and then REinstalling all your drivers etc, make a backup disk image of your OS once a month or every few weeks after you have got it running smooth and clean. It seems that house cleaning never ends with Windows.

Yes. I have done all that

Could be some of the Windows Updates.

How so?

Time for an SSD Upgrade! My 3+ year RTM install boot time was so slow, I loathed rebooting. Put an SSD in, now it's amazing! That's with only an 80gb boot drive.

After my recent purchase I can't justify the purchase.

Reinstall. Alternatively, you can get an SSD and redo your system. Don't get OCZ if you do get one.

Edit: Heh...+warwagon beat me to it.

See my response to warwagon.

clean out your registry manually. I do it once and a while and it speeds things up. It gets bogged down from all of the ghost entries from programs that aren't installed anymore.

Also, selective startup is a great way to get some more speed outa the comp.

It's called Bit rot. It brings traditional hard drives to its knees speed wise (at least on startup) Either get an SSD or reinstall.

Damn. I think I should reword my OP. Startup is still fine. It's loading appz and browsing the net.

Damn. I think I should reword my OP. Startup is still fine. It's loading appz and browsing the net.

Which AV are you using? Hope it's AVG Free 2012 because that could explain everything!

Nothing is sucking over 50% CPU. That is what's strange. I may have to reformat. Maybe the registry is to fragmented that it is causing the issue?

It's called Bit rot. It brings traditional hard drives to its knees speed wise (at least on startup) Either get an SSD or reinstall.

bit rot didn't even truly exist on XP, it's an old 9x legacy.

this is most definitely a case of malware/rootkit.

Nothing is sucking over 50% CPU. That is what's strange. I may have to reformat. Maybe the registry is to fragmented that it is causing the issue?

No, that'd the kind of claims that come from the ridiculous speed up yoru pc companies that sell you crap that does more to slow down and break your pc than speed it up.

bit rot didn't even truly exist on XP, it's an old 9x legacy.

this is most definitely a case of malware/rootkit.

Then why is MSE and MB not finding anything?

I found 2 errors. Both seem the same:

- <Event xmlns="[b][url="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"]http://schemas.micro...08/events/event[/url][/b]">

- <System>

<Provider Name="[b]Service Control Manager[/b]" Guid="[b]{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}[/b]" EventSourceName="[b]Service Control Manager[/b]" />

<EventID Qualifiers="[b]49152[/b]">7001</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="[b]2012-09-12T15:34:25.491254500Z[/b]" />

<EventRecordID>10434</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="[b]672[/b]" ThreadID="[b]1428[/b]" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Family-PC</Computer>

<Security />
</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="[b]param1[/b]">Computer Browser</Data>

<Data Name="[b]param2[/b]">Server</Data>

<Data Name="[b]param3[/b]">%%1058</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

- <Event xmlns="[b][url="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"]http://schemas.micro...08/events/event[/url][/b]">

- <System>

<Provider Name="[b]Service Control Manager[/b]" Guid="[b]{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}[/b]" EventSourceName="[b]Service Control Manager[/b]" />

<EventID Qualifiers="[b]49152[/b]">7001</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="[b]2012-09-12T17:45:37.509616400Z[/b]" />

<EventRecordID>10489</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="[b]672[/b]" ThreadID="[b]2788[/b]" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Family-PC</Computer>

<Security />
</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="[b]param1[/b]">Computer Browser</Data>

<Data Name="[b]param2[/b]">Server</Data>

<Data Name="[b]param3[/b]">%%1058</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Then why is MSE and MB not finding anything?

If it's a rootkit, they won't find it, it it's malware that's not in their database yet, they still won't find it.

just because a set of scanners can't find it, doesn't mean it's not there. it's like the customer I had at the store with computer issues who claimed it couldn't be a virus/malware because he had anti virus...

If it's a rootkit, they won't find it, it it's malware that's not in their database yet, they still won't find it.

just because a set of scanners can't find it, doesn't mean it's not there. it's like the customer I had at the store with computer issues who claimed it couldn't be a virus/malware because he had anti virus...

Then what are my options?

Then what are my options?

At the very least run tdsskiller (The scan takes maybe 1 min). If you do have a rootkit the most common one is a MBR rootkit. It infects your master boot record, and loads before windows does. I've seen this thing slow machines down and also crash them once they get inside windows.

http://support.kaspe.../?qid=208283363

and I would also run kaspersky rescue disc 10 from outside windows.

http://support.kaspe...uses/rescuedisk

I would also run patchmypc to see how many out of date 3rd party applications you have

www.patchmypc.net

Do you have Java and if you do is it up to date, which version do you have (Control panel / Java /about)