who still knows this?

OK I messed up the computer and can't even type format /q at the c:/ prompt. I'm going to load win98 back on the puter so I'm gonna try to get the config.sys and autoexec.bat from one computer to another what are the commands to load from 1 computer then add to another? I know it can be done but never knew the commands. thanks.

Or any other way to format the drive.

Bad file name?

If you made a boot floppy the usual way then you should have format.com on the floppy.

If not, copy it from C:WindowsCommand assuming you're making the boot disc in Windows 9x

What are all the files u used to make the bootdisk? If you simply use format does it still say bad filename?

Typically, you will get this if you aren't using command.com (old ways) or it isn't pathed right (path=a: in autoexec) and you are typing that function anywhere from the path in which format.com is not located - if you have that on the disk.

'c:>format' won't work unless you have the path set right because it won't know where to look for SET directories.

You can download old bootdisk images from www.bootdisk.com - I use the older boot files for my old games.

Anyway, there's currently too many unknowns. Let us know a little more about it.

I got it fixed. thank god I installed win98se in my other partition a long time ago. Also, I'd like to say Microsoft really screwed up by not letting you boot to DOS anymore. That's where my trouble started. Thanks for the last post. Where can I learn about the Dos commands? any good books? Is that A+ kinda stuff???

Yes it still said bad file name when I tried. What happened was Winme locked up right when it was getting ready to run for the 1st time and did that ever since. I couldn't get to a dos promt thanks to no bootable dos on ME so I installed win nt 4 and tried it that was to reformat in fat32 when it prompts you. Well, that started a lot of other prob's. I cancelled install after it said re-format complete and then it kicked me to a dos promt. then I typed format /q c: and it said bad file name. I tried to use the win98se cd and it looked like it worked but then said couldn't find ntldr so there were still issues from NT that I didn't think were installed. I just got to a dos prompt and remembered my d: drive had a back up of win98se so I never had to put the cd in when I added something to the computer. I could just driect it there. Well, I just went to the d:win98 and then setup. Worked ever since. I'm just now finishing installing all my drivers. Thanks for your time to read this but anyone know why the format ect. couldn't be found in DOS?? Thanks

I guess your most dangerous when you think you know what your doing and that's when all the trouble start's.. Before you laugh can I atleast get some credit for thinking of the WIN NT cd to reformat?? lol

Glad to hear it. Like I always say: 'by any means possible' =)

Anyway, I use three different boot disks: win2k CD into command, win98 bootdisk, and an older one that I use for, what I call, Sierra/Lucas-Type Classics.

WIN2K: Reading NTFS-formatted drives

WIN98: Use to gain access to external cd-roms

OLD COMMAND.COM (DOS 6.20): Old Games

They, of course, have their own, respective purposes.

Before WIN95+, boot disks were made of 5 files -> autoexec.bat, config.sys, command.com (os with primitive command/function set), and IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS, hidden files only seen when typing dir/ah at the command prompt. They also contained, sometimes, DBLSPACE.BIN (another hidden file)

Windows 95 through ME make similar bootdisks but with many extra options (very useful and easy) that make it longer (of course, with everything it loads) to boot and it's purpose is for repairing systems.

Win2K has a more sophisticated method that uses 4 disk and lets you read NTFS partitions, which is also useful but not needed if you can boot off your CD-ROM.

If you want a sure-fire bootdisk, download this baby (MSDOS 6.20 bootdisk):

http://dos.li5.org/IMGS/DOS620.EXE (includes many features like mouse support and quick cd-rom support through MSCDEX - warning: not compatible with all drives)

I'd run over to this page to learn more about DOS:

http://jason-n3xt.org/dos/

And, for convenience, here is a link directly to this person's command page:

http://jason-n3xt.org/dos/links.htm

Hope that helps! :)

(Anyone remember batch2com and that batch add-on that gave you like 300 extra batch commands? I remember making small rpg's, graphics and all, with that lil' gem all in a batch file...hehehehe :))

REM D0z 0wnz j00!