.dat files as media files?

Hi. I've been cleaning up my computer of any junk. While I was going around doing this, I have discovered that all the files bearing the .dat extensions also bear the media icon. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I've attached a snapshot of my Kazaa Downloads folder. Sorry for the quality to decrease filesize. Do any of you know how I can fix the problems. :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jason Roberts

if they have completed downloading then just rename them to the correct format, kazaa for some reason doesnt do this sometimes.

the reason they have that icon is that you set it like that. You have opened 1 DAT file and sewt "windows media player" as the defult Application to open it.

If you want to change it go to Tools > Folder Options > File Types.

Then find the DAT extention and click "change" then you can change it, if not try some settings in advanced.

Thanks for the quick replies. The problem is that I can not find DAT in the list of extensions. Should I create it?

Also, it happens system wide, not just in kazaa, but I thought yes, I've might have made Windows Media Player to open DAT files.