Could Mark Wahlberg Lead Michael Bay

The folks over at Twitch report that Bay is ?having early conversations? with Wahlberg about starring in Transformers 4. The notion isn?t entirely far-fetched, as Wahlberg recently starred in Bay?s low-budget dark comedy Pain and Gain, but even Twitch is quick to point out that this is still very early days. As such, we should probably take this with a grain of salt until something more firm materializes.

The script by Ehren Kruger (who also had a hand in the scripts for Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon) is rumored to focus on an adult star and his teenage son, with the plan being that the young boy would become the focus of subsequent installments. Bay claims that Transformers 4 will be his last go-around with the series before handing it off to a new filmmaker, but he also said the same thing after Dark of the Moon.

The explosions expert previously talked about wanting to set up the new direction the franchise would take post-Transformers 4, and this idea of spinning further installments off the son character seems to jibe with that notion. For now, Bay is still in the early stages of T4 while he puts the finishing touches on Pain and Gain, but we should hear more about the fourth entry in the franchise soon as we move closer towards the June 29th, 2014 release date.

[x]

• 2 weeks later...
"I squashed a rumor that was on the internet last week. It was about Mark Walhberg. Mark was rumored to be starring in Transformers 4. We are working on another movie together, not T4. I had such a great time working with Mark on Pain and Gain, and he gave such a great performance ? well let?s say that very internet chatter gave me some ideas. We are at the inception of our story process right now on T4. Let?s say some ideas are gaining traction with me and my writer ? so I?m here to say thanks internet chatter."

Michael Bay.com