Windows 8 USB 3 compatibility

I think there is a Windows 8 USB 3 compatibility issue. Renesas USB 3.0 pci driver was working flawlessly upon windows installation for couple of hours but now it says the driver has some issues and keep restarting the comp. I got the bitter ol' Blue screen of death (shall I say?).

Just wondering if any of you have similar issues. I tried to install RENESAS-USB3 driver but no dice. If anyone can suggest some workaround to this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is so weird, the card works fine right after a windows installation but after couple of restarts it says windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Could my continuous BSOD caused by this card?

This is so weird, the card works fine right after a windows installation but after couple of restarts it says windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Could my continuous BSOD caused by this card?

That's weird. Try using the Windows 7 drivers for it (or see if newer Windows 8 ones exist).

I have 2 USB 3 ports (Renesas ones just like yours) on my laptop and they've worked flawlessly for months (CP and now RTM) with the Windows 7 drivers.

does windows 8 not have built-in usb3 support?

Yes, it has built-in support for USB3.0. In the Explorer side-bar for the drive it even says "Connected to USB 3.0" to let you know it's a high-speed port.

usb3.png

I hadn't noticed this before but it also detects when you plug a USB3.0 device into a USB2.0 port and warns you that it won't perform at its top speed:

usb3a.png

That's weird. Try using the Windows 7 drivers for it (or see if newer Windows 8 ones exist).

I have 2 USB 3 ports (Renesas ones just like yours) on my laptop and they've worked flawlessly for months (CP and now RTM) with the Windows 7 drivers.

hmm so weird indeed. I installed this (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19880〈=eng&wapkw=%28USB3_allOS_2.1.19.0_PV.exe) driver and now it seems to be working fine. Will keep this thread alive as I am not folding just yet. I like windows 8 too much to give up. Now my Zonet wifi is giving me Ndis.sys error posted my dump files at MS support hopefully someone can resolve that.

Yes, it has built-in support for USB3.0. In the Explorer side-bar for the drive it even says "Connected to USB 3.0" to let you know it's a high-speed port.

usb3.png

I hadn't noticed this before but it also detects when you plug a USB3.0 device into a USB2.0 port and warns you that it won't perform at its top speed:

usb3a.png

The details on the right hand side did you always get it by default or did you enabled it under view-->detail pane? Funny mine doesn't show what its showing you lol. Mine just show removable drive and a generic disk icon.

Previous versions of Windows do the same thing when you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.0 port.

Previous versions of Windows do the same thing when you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.0 port.

It's not something I'd ever noticed before, although I don't usually mismatch USB ports and drives. It's also more obvious now that they've move the message to the sidebar.

The details on the right hand side did you always get it by default or did you enabled it under view-->detail pane? Funny mine doesn't show what its showing you lol. Mine just show removable drive and a generic disk icon.

I haven't enabled it since installing Windows 8 a couple of days ago, though if it's a setting stored in the cloud then it may have been saved from when I used the Release Preview or Enterprise Evaluation.

It's not something I'd ever noticed before, although I don't usually mismatch USB ports and drives. It's also more obvious now that they've move the message to the sidebar.

If I remember correct, windows 7 used to give you a notification indicating device can perform faster...

Yeah it's a while since USB 1.0 ports were around :) In XP it would pop up in a balloon tip from the notification tray.