iPhone 5 or 4 and a trip to Paris

I am going to Paris for 9 days this New Years. I'm from Chicago.

I have an iPhone 5, and an older iPhone 4. They are both on the AT&T network.

I am hoping to use these somehow as my main device for reference while in Paris. My question is what is my best option?

I was thinking about buying a SIM card and have it activated for 1 month. The problem is, I am going on December 26-January 4th.

What do you guys think?

couldnt you get the international plan from ATT and cancel when you get home?

The data plan is...

$30.00 120MB $60.00 300MB $120.00 800MB

I'm assuming I can get an unlimited plan for cheaper over there.

I am more focused on the data over voice.

If the iPhone 4 is no longer committed to a contractual 2 year agreement, AT&T will remove their carrier lock from it for you. Just call them up or open a chat session with their support on their website and ask them if they can unlock your iPhone 4 for you.

Once it is unlock, I think just about any GSM 3g SIM card will work.

As far as where to get a good international SIM card I'm not really sure.

Get the iPhone 5 unlocked in ebay. There are several users now offering IMEI unlock (basically, they are requesting the unlock through the official AT&T channels, probably employees) for 5 USD. Recommended user is unlock_fusion, with more than 80K positive feeddback (that's crazy).This is permanent. Then you go to France, and buy the equivalent of a pay as you go network. You will not get LTE with your AT&T iPhone 5, but you will be able to get 3G.

Get the iPhone 5 unlocked in ebay. There are several users now offering IMEI unlock (basically, they are requesting the unlock through the official AT&T channels, probably employees) for 5 USD. Recommended user is unlock_fusion, with more than 80K positive feeddback (that's crazy).This is permanent. Then you go to France, and buy the equivalent of a pay as you go network. You will not get LTE with your AT&T iPhone 5, but you will be able to get 3G.

Awesome. That is the route I am going to go unless a jailbreak and then unlock comes out that I can do myself.

Now, I just need to find out which sim cards I can use over 9 days between 2 months.

Awesome. That is the route I am going to go unless a jailbreak and then unlock comes out that I can do myself.

Now, I just need to find out which sim cards I can use over 9 days between 2 months.

I would take that route regardless if there is a jailbreak, unlock. This is 100% secure and your phone gets factory unlocked forever, you can restore, update, etc and it will retain its unlock. I would do this ASAP as there is always the possibility the could take down that user. No modification is required to software or hardware to the iPhone, you just provide your IMEI, they enter it in the Apple Database, and it is unlocked.

• 1 month later...

Unlocked.

If I put a French sim in, will my phone be in French?

No, SIM cards don't do sh*t to such settings, all they do is actually change (temporarily) your settings for the SMS central number, etc...

Enjoy your stay, I wish I could be in Paris and France one day for some nice holidays.

Mind you: Paris != France. ;) ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

You should go in Paris during summertime, too. It's amazing.

The fireworks at Eiffel when New Year comes. It's a delight to see.

And if you don't know French already, try to learn a few basic words (bonjour (salutation during the day), bonsoir (salutation when evening comes), au revoir (it's like saying bye), merci (thank you), oui (yes), non (no), s'il vous pla?t (please), etc.). They really appreciate it.

I am going to Paris for 9 days this New Years. I'm from Chicago.

I have an iPhone 5, and an older iPhone 4. They are both on the AT&T network.

I am hoping to use these somehow as my main device for reference while in Paris. My question is what is my best option?

I was thinking about buying a SIM card and have it activated for 1 month. The problem is, I am going on December 26-January 4th.

What do you guys think?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You should go in Paris during summertime, too. It's amazing.

The fireworks at Eiffel when New Year comes. It's a delight to see.

And if you don't know French already, try to learn a few basic words (bonjour (salutation during the day), bonsoir (salutation when evening comes), au revoir (it's like saying bye), merci (thank you), oui (yes), non (no), s'il vous pla?t (please), etc.). They really appreciate it.

Thanks for the tip, looking for a place to be for the fireworks!