Wallpaper setting...

Question

Does anyone know of any utility or command line option in Windows XP to change the wallpaper to something else, or even to none?

What I'm trying to do is this: in the morning at 9am, set a Microsoft Scheduled Task to run this utility to set my wallpaper to none on my home computer. This would allow me to connect to this computer via a remote desktop utility (VNC, Remote Desktop, etc) and have faster screen transfers.

At the end of the day, say 5pm, have the utility run again, according to another Microsoft Scheduled Task, and reset my wallpaper to something I determine (or random, whatever), so that when I come home, my wallpaper is back.

Anyone know of something that can do this? No, I don't want to do it manually, since I'm lazy and that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid :p (if I have no choice, I have no choice).

Thanks for any help in advance!

13 answers to this question

No, a wallpaper changer is usually an application that you have to manually go into and set it's options. None that I know of will allow me to set my wallpaper to none and then set it back based on the command line that's been entered into a scheduled task.

How about creating a .reg file that would set the wallpaper and un-set it based on the scheduled tasks?

I tried the .reg file method, with one set to no wallpaper, the other set to my wallpaper, and it didn't work.

Webshots won't do what I want.

Any other suggestions?

Originally posted by scoob

what excatly do u want again..... be very descriptive..

You're not being helpful. If you can't read the first post in the thread and understand what I'm asking for, then I don't know wth is the matter with you.

Create a batch file that does what you want it to. Place the file in the startup folder of the account you use to access your machine remotely.

OR

If you are using terminal services, use the "Run Program" feature when you set up the connection.

If you do no not know how to do either of these. Post a response and I will try to help you out.:cool:

Actually, I'm not logging on to the machine in that sense. I use authentication to be allowed to gain access remotely, but don't login, do you understand what I mean? The machine is already up and running in Windows.

Anyway, I don't use Terminal Services to do this, so the Run Program feature won't apply here. Can you give me details on the batch file you're talking about? That could be interesting if it works right...

Oh, btw, I'm a computer tech as well, so throw any language you need to at me, I'll understand what you're talking about :D . The same applies to any ideas you might have for me to try.

Thanks!

Where's the option located, I didn't see anything in the VNC properties page...

I mostly use other utilities though, so I'd still want a working solution for this.

Thanks for your answer though! :D

I think I spoke too soon :D

The disable wallpaper option may be in PC Anywhere, not VNC. But I find that VNC is better when you tweak the compression and only poll the foreground window for changes, that way you only download what you need.