Most Effective Method of Wiping a Hard Drive

Gerowen

Editing the video now, here's photo of what was left after I was done wiping my hard drive today.

post-125978-0-60064000-1352240667.jpg

+jamesyfx

I took a hammer to an old DVR yesterday.

It was brilliant. I broke a piece off the hammer though.

Shooting the drive would be much more fun though.. :D

srbeen

To wipe a HDD one must continually write nothing to it...

Gerowen

As promised, here's the video demonstrating my method of wiping a hard drive of any residual data when it refuses to co-operate with my computer.

Video:

xpablo

Yeah not good enough, There's probably some files the NSA can extract, from those platters.

• Like 1
seta-san

get a flower pot with a hole in them middle and fill it with two parts powered iron oxide(rust) to one part powered aluminum. get a wick and light it from afar and protect your eyes from the searing bright light.

Gerowen

Yeah not good enough, There's probably some files the NSA can extract, from those platters.

There's nothing THAT sensitive on there. Anything on that drive the NSA probably already has copies of anyway, I just didn't want some shifty criminal to dig it out of the trash, call up Western Digital and pay a few dollars to have all my personal files recovered and sent to him, :-P

• 5 months later...
Hum

I wipe my drive with a paper towel :p

• Like 3
The Evil Overlord

I wipe my drive with a paper towel :p

DAMMIT That was my line :p
Dot Matrix

Once the control board is dead, that's it, there's nothing no one can do with that.

+Eternal Tempest

Once the control board is dead, that's it, there's nothing no one can do with that.

There's equipment that can directly read the magnetic patterns directly off the platters to restore the data.

• Like 1
DJGM

Unless it was faulty, that was a thoroughly reckless act of wasteful stupidity on a perfectly good 1TB WD hard drive.

A good secure wipe would've been enough to prevent any miscreant from performing dodgy data recovery on it.

Except replace the dead control board with fully functional identical control board.

Chris Rollason

Boot and nuke to wipe the data forever, then feel free to destroy it in any way you see fit!

Detection

Yea... because the control board is where the data is saved ? :/

• Like 1
Dot Matrix

Except replace the dead control board with fully functional identical control board.

Easier said than done.

There's equipment that can directly read the magnetic patterns directly off the platters to restore the data.

Is there? I've been told over and over again, that this is the work of fantasy TV by many of my professors.

Yea... because the control board is where the data is saved ? :/

Huh? When did I say that? The control board controls the hard drive, and the various motors. Unless you have the EXACT control board for that exact hard drive, you'll never power that hard drive again.

+warwagon

Why did you cover the brand name up? From the looks of it, it's a Western Digital.

Detection

Huh? When did I say that? The control board controls the hard drive, and the various motors. Unless you have the EXACT control board for that exact hard drive, you'll never power that hard drive again.

Quote yourself:

Except there is something someone can do with that, they can replace the board.

There is loads of things people could do to recover data is the board is dead, you think the FBI say "Aww the boards dead, well I guess this guy got away with it"

You think data recovery companies tell their customers "Sorry, although the platters are fine, the board is dead, you just lost everything"

Backtracking will not make you any less wrong

And more to the point, what makes you think replacing the board with an identical model would be difficult? You have to do that with a lot of different components, what happens when an inverter in a laptop screen dies? Ebay the exact part number and buy another one

AJerman

Easier said than done.

Is there? I've been told over and over again, that this is the work of fantasy TV by many of my professors.

That's so far wrong I don't know why anyone would have told you that. You can even transplant the platters into a new drive if the drive dies without any special magic (other than a clean room).

ShareShiz

good luck transfering those platters.

in other news. I use a grinder when I no longer need a HDD :D

n_K

Yes, there is. When I sent my failed western digital drive to a recovery company, they tried replacing the platters but it didn't fix the problem so the drive was returned to me, they did also say they could read the data off the platters themselves at a cost of something like ?1,000/hour, now obviously my data wasn't worth that much and I don't have that amount of money lying around, but to secure a prosecution or to save highly sensitive data to a business it probably is worth it.

Also I feel like this is possibly the most retarded thread I've seen in a while.

AJerman

Yes, there is. When I sent my failed western digital drive to a recovery company, they tried replacing the platters but it didn't fix the problem so the drive was returned to me, they did also say they could read the data off the platters themselves at a cost of something like ?1,000/hour, now obviously my data wasn't worth that much and I don't have that amount of money lying around, but to secure a prosecution or to save highly sensitive data to a business it probably is worth it.

Also I feel like this is possibly the most retarded thread I've seen in a while.

Follow me to the Windows 8 section...

• Like 1
Chasethebase

This came to mind.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Western Digital unveils its first PCIe 4.0 SSD, an SSD gaming dock with RGB, and more
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Western Digital today announced its first PCIe 4.0 supporting SSD called WD_BLACK SN850 that promises up to 7000MB/s read and 5300MB/s write speeds. The read speeds are twice as fast as that of its predecessor, the SN750. The company also unveiled a couple of other storage offerings that include a fast PCIe 3.0 x8 based SSD Add-in Card and a Thunderbolt 3-based SSD dock.

The BLACK SN850 is an NVMe M.2 SSD aimed at gamers and the company says that it helps them “achieve supreme PC performance”. The claimed performance is applicable on the 1TB model, and is similar to the performance of Samsung’s latest offering, albeit with slightly higher write speeds. The company explicitly notes that the SSD is not intended for “NAS or server environments”, adding that the optimized G2 controlled in the SSD is best suited for “high-intensive gaming”. The firm will also offer an RGB sporting model with a heat sink in Q1 2021.

The WD_BLACK SN850 will be available in 500GB, 1TB, and 2TB capacities. The 500GB model without a heat sink starts at $149.99, identical to the price of Samsung’s 500GB 980 Pro SSD. There is no information about the price for the RGB variant with a heat sink that is set to arrive next year.

The other product announced today is the WD_BLACK AN1500 PCIe Gen3 x8 based add-in-card that boasts of read speeds of up to 6500MB/s and write speeds of up to 4100MB/s for the 2TB and 4TB models, thanks to the dual internal SSDs in RAID 0 configuration. It also comes with customizable RGB lighting supported on Windows machines and is available in 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB capacities. The starting price for the 1TB version is $299.99.

The WD_BLACK D50 Game Dock NVMe SSD is the third product being announced today, which is aimed at laptop gamers. The dock allows for gamers to not only expand storage, but also use the dock for connecting to a host of peripherals using the in-built ports, all through just one Thunderbolt 3 port from the laptop. The ports include multiple 10Gb/s Type-A ports, DisplayPort for connecting external monitors, ethernet and 3.5mm audio jack, and much more. It also lets users control the RGB lighting through the WD_BLACK Dashboard on Windows.

The WD_BLACK D50 Game Dock is available in a 1TB capacity for an asking price of $499.99. The company will also be selling a non-SSD variant for $319.99.

• By Copernic
      Wise Data Recovery 5.1.7.335
      by Razvan Serea

Wise Data Recovery is a free data recovery program to get back deleted photos, documents, videos, emails etc. from your local or removable drives for free. Whether you deleted some files by accident, formatted a drive or encountered a system crash and lost some files, It can get back lost files from hard drive, external hard drive, USB drive, Memory card, digital camera, mobile phone, MP3 player and other storage media. Wise Data Recovery does not only scan for lost files but also analyzes the possibility of recovering them. Then it shows you details and recoverability of the files before you decide to recover them.

Wise Data Recovery also has a portable version, which means that you don’t have to install it, you can use it on your PC without writing to the hard drive.

Wise Data Recovery 5.1.7.335 changelog:

Optimized the preview window.

GUI and usability improvements.

Solved the problem in which there was no response when using the mouse wheel to operate the vertical scroll bar.

Download: Wise Data Recovery 5.1.7.335 | 8.2 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Portable Wise Data Recovery 5.1.7.335 | 14.4 MB
      View: Wise Data Recovery Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      Wise Data Recovery 5.1.6.334
      by Razvan Serea

Wise Data Recovery is a free data recovery program to get back deleted photos, documents, videos, emails etc. from your local or removable drives for free. Whether you deleted some files by accident, formatted a drive or encountered a system crash and lost some files, It can get back lost files from hard drive, external hard drive, USB drive, Memory card, digital camera, mobile phone, MP3 player and other storage media. Wise Data Recovery does not only scan for lost files but also analyzes the possibility of recovering them. Then it shows you details and recoverability of the files before you decide to recover them.

Wise Data Recovery also has a portable version, which means that you don’t have to install it, you can use it on your PC without writing to the hard drive.

Wise Data Recovery 5.1.6.334 changelog:

Minor bug fixes.

Updated various translations.

Unified the icons of each window interface, and optimized the window.

Download: Wise Data Recovery 5.1.6.334 | 7.9 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Portable Wise Data Recovery 5.1.6.334 | 14.1 MB

• By Copernic
      Wise Data Recovery 5.1.5.333
      by Razvan Serea

Wise Data Recovery 5.1.5.333 changelog:

Fixed misplaced issue about the window position under multiple monitors and "Scan" drop-down menu bar.

Fixed an issue about the pop-up window would always be displayed after the license key expired.

Updated various translations.

Download: Wise Data Recovery 5.1.5.333 | 5.2 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Portable Wise Data Recovery 5.1.5.333 | 6.6 MB

• By Steven P.
      Today Only: All-Time Low Prices on MicroSDXC and HDD Storage from WD, SanDisk & more
      by Steven Parker

Today only, Amazon's having a huge sale on Western Digital and SanDisk storage devices, with some of the lowest prices we've seen on several microSDXC cards, hard drives, NAS drives, and flash drives.

The best deal here is the highly popular SanDisk Ultra microSDXC memory card, available in 256GB and 400GB. Great for expanding storage on phones or a Nintendo Switch, these are at the lowest prices we've seen, even beating the prices we saw during Black Friday. Also on sale is the 12TB WD Elements desktop hard drive for just $174.99, an outstanding price for a 12TB external hard drive and enough space to store photos and videos, files, and more.

Finally, save up to 25% off on the WD Red Pro NAS drive, available in 8TB and 14TB capacities. These are great for any business needing NAS storage.

Featured Deals

SanDisk Ultra 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter for $27.99 (400GB for $44.79) at Amazon (list price $34.49) The popular 256GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDXC card is only $27.99 today, the best price we've seen for this size microSDXC card. The $27.99 price even beats the $29.99 price we saw during Black Friday. If you're looking a larger storage size, the 400GB is also discounted down to $44.79, also an all-time low and a better price than the $49.99 we saw during Black Friday. These microSDXC cards are perfect for expanding the storage size of your smartphone or tablet, camera, or Nintendo Switch. WD Elements 12TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive for $174.99 at Amazon (list price $249.99) The 12TB Western Digital Elements desktop hard drive is just $174.99, the lowest price we've seen for this external hard drive and one of the best prices we've seen for any 12TB external hard drive. This is currently a lower price than the 10TB version. Currently backordered, but order now to lock in today's price. Includes a 2-year limited warranty from Western Digital. WD Red Pro 8TB 7200RPM NAS 3.5" Internal Hard Drive with 256MB Cache for $223.99 (14TB for $455.99) at Amazon (list price $362.29) Get the 8TB Western Digital Red Pro NAS 3.5-inch internal hard drive for just $223.99, a 25% discount from the usual $300 sale price and one of the best prices we've seen for a NAS drive this size. If you are looking for an even larger capacity, the 14TB is also on sale for $455.99. The 7200 RPM class WD Red Pro supports up to 24 bays and has a workload rate of 300TB/year, ideal for any business. Currently backordered, but order now to lock in today's price. Includes a 5-year limited warranty. WD Red 10TB 5400RPM NAS 3.5" Internal Hard Drive with 256MB Cache for $229.99 (14TB for $399.99) at Amazon (list price $419.11) WD Blue SN550 500GB NVMe 3D NAND M.2 Internal SSD for $54.99 at Amazon (list price $89.99) SanDisk Extreme 128GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter for $19.59 (512GB for $87.99) at Amazon (list price $24.44) WD My Passport Ultra 5TB USB-C Portable External Hard Drive for $99.99 at Amazon (list price $159.99) WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 8TB NAS for $287.59 at Amazon (list price $457.63) WD My Book Duo 20TB USB 3.1 Desktop RAID External Hard Drive for $599.99 at Amazon (list price $799.99) WD Black P10 Game Drive 5TB Portable External Hard Drive for $91.99 at Amazon (list price $149.99) SanDisk Ultra 128GB SDXC UHS-I Memory Card for $16.79 at Amazon (list price $22.09) SanDisk Ultra Fit 256GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive for $28.49 (128GB for $15.19) at Amazon (list price $34.35) SanDisk iXpand 256GB Flash Drive Go for iPhone and iPad for $54.99 (128GB for $34.99) at Amazon (list price $89.99) SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Go 256GB USB Type-C Flash Drive for $31.99 at Amazon (list price $42.99) NordVPN from $3.49 a month. No Logs + military-grade encryption. Unlocator from $3.29 a month. Unblock Your Favorite Services. Ivacy VPN from $1.50 a month. Subscribe To Award-Winning Best VPN. Private Internet Access from $3.33 a month. No Traffic Logs. These are just a small selection of the discounts on offer, for more great deals go to TechBargains.

As an Amazon Associate Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.