What is your main computing device?

What is your main computing device?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is your main computing device?

• Desktop
    • Laptop
    • Smartphone
    • Tablet
    • Other

Lately, I've been hearing a lot about how more and more people are ditching traditional PCs for mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. Coupled with seemingly constant news stories about how mobile browser and OS market shares are rising and PC sales are dropping, I'm wondering what the majority of Neowin users are using as their main/most often used computing device.

Hmm, I would say I use them all the same. I have a desktop at work, My phone when I'm mobile, My tablet for when i'm at peoples houses, at home or out somewhere I can sit down and my laptop which is really only used for business and never moves off my desk at home. I can't say which I use the most but the ones I used for the most tasks are a tie between my Android phone and Tablet.

My main computer is a deaktop computer. I used to use it for everything.

I bought an iPod Touch 4gen 1 year and an half ago. I found myself using the iPod for everyday use (check mails, check weather, cheak theater schedule, etc) more and more. The problem with the Touch is the screen is too small to browse the web and read books. So i'm thinking about getting a tablet. Probably a Nexus 7. I can definately see myself using my PC to work and play games only once i will own a real tablet. Tablets are just more convenient for every day use. They are small. Really portable (sorry but some high end laptops are not that much portable imo). And the touch screen is sort of working perfectly for tasks like getting mails and browsing the web. I really like having my touch close to my bed to check the weather and news when i'm waking up. Would like to have a tablet with a bigger screen than the touch. But i'm not willing to spend 400+ on a tablet that's why i'm looking at the Nexus 7.

Desktop <3

I'll be replacing mine as the main computing device for the first time by the end of the year, as I'm moving and want to keep it portable, so I'll be getting a laptop. But as soon as I settle for a longer period of time, it's a desktop again.

It's really hard for me to answer this question. I'd say I use my phone just about as much as anything else, but I don't think I'd say it's my main computing device. I guess I'd have to say my MacBook, but then, it's screen is broken and the battery went bad, so it's actually more like a desktop now... I can't decide which to pick :( Definitely not tablet though. I have an iPad but I only use it for playing around now and then. If I wanted to do something quick and mobile, I'd use my phone. If I wanted to do something that required a bigger screen than my phone, I'd use my MacBook (plugged into a 37" LCD).

Primarily I use my laptop. My smart phone is nice and handy, and I use it quite a bit when I'm out, but nothing beats a good ol' keyboard and a 17" screen.

I am pretty much in the same boat as AJ.

I use a Desktop at work, have a Desktop at home, but hardly even turn it on anymore now that we have a Macbook, but we use it plugged into the 24" monitor 98% of the time. I also have an iPad that I use for reading magazines, articles, play draw something, etc, but I use my phone 99% of the time.

I guess as far as primary, it would have to be my phone since I use it all the time, and I think most people are going to be the same now if we think about it.

My Desktop @ home, everything is a subset of the desktop, my phone is a copy of the data on my desktop (i.e. music and photos) even the cloud i would put into the subset as it is a copy of my desktop's data.

Although having everything around the desktop does make me feel old, that i can feel that i am of the previous generation, as i can see in the future that the cloud is the center and that all devices will be a subset, from tablet, mobile phone and desktop/laptop.

However i then switch on my Xbox and play a bit of skyrim and say roll on innovation and pushing the envelope! :D

A computer is the only "computing device" I know. People can spit whatever they want about their mobile gadgets, but they are just so: gadgets. With a remote kill-switch I WILL NEVER ACCEPT to be put up my ass by anyone. Capeesc?

A computer is the only "computing device" I know. People can spit whatever they want about their mobile gadgets, but they are just so: gadgets. With a remote kill-switch I WILL NEVER ACCEPT to be put up my ass by anyone. Capeesc?

Funny. My Surface seems to be a computer by definition. So are iPads, and other tablets. They all compute. They all do work. Care to try again?

At home I have my ASUS Ultrabook hooked up to my 47inch 3D LED TV with wireless keyboard, touchpad, and mouse.

And when I go somewhere, I take it with me.

At home, it's a combination of desktop/netbook/tablet/smartphone. I primarily use the desktop for normal surfing/gaming, netbook for RDP'ing into work, tablet/smartphone for couch surfing. At work, it's just work laptop/desktop.

My shiny new desktop of course! :) I have always used my desktop as my main system. I have a laptop and smartphone as well, but can't justify squeezing all of my tasks into a tiny screen and less powerful system (laptop).

I use my desktop mostly. I gave my laptop to my mum when I picked my current machine up. Occasionally I use my phone for some light web browsing but not for heavy-duty tasks.

Funny. My Surface seems to be a computer by definition. So are iPads, and other tablets. They all compute. They all do work. Care to try again?

I agree anything that has a processor/hard drive, etc is a computer. Its just which category as in Mobile or not honestly, so The King of GnG is wrong in his opinion for sure

when I am home I spend 90% of my awake time sitting in front of my desktop however, if I am in the living room I have my tablet with me (which i can use to remote connect to the desktop If i need to)