Windows Phone 8 Tips - Lumia 920

After getting my Lumia 920 today, I have ran into some issues that took quite a bit of search and digging through Google to find the answers too. As time goes on, of course, these will be easier to find via search engines.

But for now, I figured a thread would be helpful to some people who are having trouble finding certain things, or wish to provide help or tips using the phone.

• Fast Foward/Rewind in Audio: Sadly, you cannot skip through music/audio via a slider or tap-to a certain time. You can, however just hold the Next Track/Previous Track button to go forward and reverse in audio, just like the good ol' days of CDs and cassettes. Note: This only works in Xbox Music+Video application and not Nokia Music. I can't find any way to move through music in the Nokia Music app. They are intertwined though, when you start a song, so you can just go to the Music+Video app.

• Custom Ringtones: This one confused me for a while because, even in the phone it doesn't tell you this. To have a custom ringtone, you must hook the phone up to your PC via the provided USB cable. Then you must place any file under 30MB into the ringtones folder. Here is the tricky part: You must set the genre to "RINGTONE" (minus the quotations) within the MP3 file. This was a pain in the arse to figure out, as I couldn't find it anywhere in the manual, or on the phone itself.

Feel free to post any other findings, or helpful apps.

• Custom Ringtones: This one confused me for a while because, even in the phone it doesn't tell you this. To have a custom ringtone, you must hook the phone up to your PC via the provided USB cable. Then you must place any file under 30MB into the ringtones folder. Here is the tricky part: You must set the genre to "RINGTONE" (minus the quotations) within the MP3 file. This was a pain in the arse to figure out, as I couldn't find it anywhere in the manual, or on the phone itself.

Just to add to this, I didn't set the genre at all when I dragged and dropped music files in the ringtones folder, worked fine for me. I believe you can also get ringtones via Apps.

Just to add to this, I didn't set the genre at all when I dragged and dropped music files in the ringtones folder, worked fine for me. I believe you can also get ringtones via Apps.

I like to make my own, personally. I had 5 ringtones that I dropped into the folder, and they didn't show up on the phone under Custom as they should. I tried restarting, unplugging, etc. I had to look it up, and that is what I found. After I set the genre it worked.

If you download the Desktop App for phone sync for Windows 8 you can check off items as ringtones.

Maybe it auto does the "ringtones" tag for ya? Should be easier though.....