What Video Games Keep You From Using Linux?

Just saw this question posted on another site and changed the site's name in the question, and it's an interesting question, so I thought I'd post it here:

Everyone knows content is king. Many of us use Windows or OSX at home instead of Linux because the games we love just are not available on Linux. With Steam moving forward for a Linux launch, I would like to hear from the Neowin community on this topic. What are the game(s) you cannot live without? If they were available in Linux would you be happy to run Linux instead of Windows or OSX?

Not always about what currently doesn't run or run well, but the prospect of future must have's. Frankly, until the performance gap wrapping DX shrinks, title is generally irrelevant.

Games:

- Skyrim

- Crysis (All versions)

- Many more I can't think about because I'm tired and not in front of my computer.

If these were ported to Linux, yes I would run Kubuntu full time with 7 in a VM.

xbill, because it's based on a true story.

This XBill, or another one? If it's the one I linked to, then it runs on Linux, if not, then point me in the direction of the one you're talking about.

Probably more than anything it is the future availability of games that concerns me the most. I don't consider the cost of Windows to be prohibitively high. I don't consider Windows as an OS to be "restrictive" or not "free as in beer" enough.

Still, I hope that Valve's efforts in Linux turn out better than their efforts in Mac OS X. On Mac we got Valve's games and maybe a handful of small indie games (like Torchlight) that came over with the Steam launch. But Steam on Mac OS X wasn't the game changer people were hoping for that would lead to the end of Windows dominance in PC Gaming. I kinda doubt Steam on Linux will be a game changer either...

I use to live and work in Linux. Years ago I was very active in the Linux forum here. My experience back then was that Linux works great for some things, such as servers. Desktop Linux and day-to-day use never was very inspiring for me. I didn't find it to be in anyway more capable than Windows. About the only thing going for it was it was 'free' but unless you think the cost of Windows is prohibitively high, 'free' don't count for much.

The day I can go out and buy a game and not have to worry about what operating system or console I have will be.... never. :( I don't think Linux will ever be as viable as Windows when it comes to gaming. Even though the hardware is there.

Just saw this question posted on another site and changed the site's name in the question, and it's an interesting question, so I thought I'd post it here:

Everyone knows content is king. Many of us use Windows or OSX at home instead of Linux because the games we love just are not available on Linux. With Steam moving forward for a Linux launch, I would like to hear from the Neowin community on this topic. What are the game(s) you cannot live without? If they were available in Linux would you be happy to run Linux instead of Windows or OSX?

1 All of them

2 Sure, I guess. Although I still find it a pain in the ass every time I try it, at least it works now.

Most of them. I like the Humble Bundles because they include Linux copies, but mostly I'll just boot into Windows to play a game. In all honesty it's all I used Windows for anymore.

Basically any windows games which can't even run properly in wine. OpenGL is inferior compared to DirectX in almost all cases, current linux games are kinda crap anyways.

Basically any windows games which can't even run properly in wine. OpenGL is inferior compared to DirectX in almost all cases, current linux games are kinda crap anyways.

Actually they're at feature parity now with 4.3, but I have never even seen a game use any of the 4.x line that I'm aware of.