Why is HDMI Not Working for my Monitor?

Pubudu Kodikara

I just bought a new 23inch Samsung Monitor (S23B370). It have full HD support and also have an HDMI port. I bought a HDMI cable which have HDMI on both ends. I have a VGA (Nvidia 210) which also have an HDMI port. I connected the monitor's HDMI out to the VGA's HDMI port with the new cable and booted. Nothing came. I even set the Monitor's settings to HDMI. But nothing happened. It says check display cable. Why is this? How to fix it? Have I done something wrong?

Mindovermaster

Are you sure your monitor is set to the HDMI setting? Mine has DVI and VGA, and I have to switch between the 2.

jasondefaoite

Boot the PC with both VGA and HDMI connected. Select VGA on the monitor. Once at the desktop, launch the Nividia settings app and enable HDMI output there.

NCP-2.jpg

Motoko.

It's easy to break an hdmi cable even by bending it.

If you can get another hdmi cable to try it with, see what happens.

Pubudu Kodikara

It works with my laptop... but on both PCs, it won't :(

Are you sure your monitor is set to the HDMI setting? Mine has DVI and VGA, and I have to switch between the 2.

Yep... im sure :)

Boot the PC with both VGA and HDMI connected. Select VGA on the monitor. Once at the desktop, launch the Nividia settings app and enable HDMI output there.

NCP-2.jpg

Perfect... I'll try and see :) Know how to enable it on Ubuntu?

Mindovermaster

You need to install the drivers from Additional Drivers.

Pubudu Kodikara

You need to install the drivers from Additional Drivers.

Already installed :)

Mindovermaster

I think (don't quote me on this) you need the following:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

And then there should be a nvidia controlcenter-like program.

Pubudu Kodikara

Thanks a lot for the help everyone! The problem is with the PC's HDMI port. Because of the deign of the casing, the cable won't fit completely. After fixing it, now HD is working! :)

PGHammer

Thanks a lot for the help everyone! The problem is with the PC's HDMI port. Because of the deign of the casing, the cable won't fit completely. After fixing it, now HD is working! :)

Good!

Why this can be important - in all too many cases, HDMI has a higher (not lower) resolution than any other option.

Example: My Acer H233H.bmid supports 1920x1080 via any of the three video inputs it supports (DVI, D-sub, or HDMI) - however, HDMI is unique in having a 75Hz (standard - not overdriven) setting; the other two inputs have a 60 Hz NI ceiling at that resolution.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LoneWolfSL
      Nvidia 461.72 WHQL driver adds support for RTX 3060 and crypto mining GPUs
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Nvidia today released a new version of its graphics card drivers, and the WHQL-certified 461.72 Game Ready driver lands touting support for the new RTX 3060 graphics card as well as the company's latest dedicated mining hardware that's dubbed CMPs (Cryptocurrency Mining Processors).

The RTX 3060 hits shops today and to discourage crypto miners from snapping stocks up, Nvidia says the gaming dedicated graphics card will reduce its Ethereum cryptocurrency mining efficiency by 50% when a mining algorithm is detected. Meanwhile, the new CMP 40HX and 30HX cards from Nvidia that this driver also provides support for are meant to fill that mining hole.

Also included in the 461.72 driver is support for the Outriders demo by People Can Fly, which kicks off today at 9AM PST. Nvidia DLSS support for both Nioh 2 and Mount & Blade II promising large FPS boosts, as well as Rainbow Six Siege Nvidia Reflex support for latency reduction purposes can be found in this driver as well.

The bug fixes that arrive with this release are as follows:

And here are the known issues to look out for:

The 461.72 WHQL Game Ready driver is now available for download straight through the GeForce Experience app or separately via the links listed below. The release notes for the driver can be seen here.

Desktop GPUs:
      Download: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 | Windows 10 – Standard / DCH

Notebook GPUs:
      Download: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 | Windows 10 - Standard / DCH

• By Usama Jawad96
      Apple is investigating an issue related to 'pink squares' with the M1 Mac mini
      by Usama Jawad

Apple announced the M1 Mac mini in November 2020, promising 3 times faster CPU speeds, 6 times the GPU performance (with support for 6K displays), and 15 times the machine learning performance over the previous generation. While the performance of the Apple Silicon chip has been praised, the company is reportedly investigating an issue where "pink squares" appear when the new Mac mini is connected to a display.

Multiple threads on Apple's forums have cited an issue where random pink squares appear on the display when the M1 Mac mini is connected via the HDMI port rather than the Thunderbolt. One such thread has over 500 endorsements from users who faced the same issue. The forum post mentions that:

While the culprit behind the issue is currently unknown, MacRumors has obtained an internal memo, dated February 19, which indicates that Apple is investigating the problem. In the meantime, the following troubleshooting steps have been mentioned in the memo:

Put the Mac mini to sleep Wait two minutes and wake the Mac mini Unplug the display from the Mac mini, and then plug the display back in Adjust the display's resolution in System Preferences > Displays As Apple has not publicly acknowledged the investigation yet, it is unclear as to when a fix will be released. That said, it should be sooner rather than later given that the company is actively looking into it.

Source: MacRumors

• By hellowalkman
      Nvidia reduces mining hash rate on the RTX 3060, launches dedicated mining hardware
      by Sayan Sen

Nvidia appears to be well aware of the GPU shortage problem that has been going on for some time. While production and yield issues are something that the company cannot address on its own, the company is also aware of the current ongoing boom in cryptocurrency prices which has led Ethereum miners, among others, to buy up a lot of the available GPUs. To address the issue, Nvidia has announced new dedicated 'Cryptocurrency Mining Processors' (or CMPs) that have been designed specifically for mining.

These devices won't be able to run graphics workloads and lack any display outputs. Hence, this space on the back of the card, says Nvidia, has been utilized for a better air-flow design for more cooling. As a result, multiple CMPs can be stacked together and can work in tandem with a single CPU. The CMPs have been optimized for power-efficient mining performance using lower peak core voltage and frequencies.

For now, Nvidia has announced four variants of its new CMP HX lineup. Their specifications, as well as their initial availabilities, are listed below:

30HX 40HX 50HX 90HX Ethereum Hash Rate

26MH/s 36MH/s 45MH/s 86MH/s Rated Power 125W 185W 250W 320W Power connectors 1x 8-pin 1x 8-pin 2x 8-pin 2x 8-pin Memory size 6GB 8GB 10GB 10GB Availability Q1 Q1 Q2 Q2 Like GPUs, the CMPs will be available to purchase from AIB partners like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.

Alongside the announcement of the new CMPs, Nvidia has also announced that the company will be reducing the mining performance of the upcoming GeForce RTX 3060 GPU which launches exactly in a week on the 25th. The company says that upon detection of the Ethereum mining algorithm on the RTX 3060, the driver of the GPU will be able to reduce the hash rate of the 3060 by around 50%. This crippling of the Ethereum mining performance on the 3060, Nvidia hopes, should deter potential miners from buying the RTX 3060.

• By indospot
      Nvidia is requiring OEMs to specify the power levels of its mobile GPUs
      by João Carrasqueira

Nvidia will now require manufacturers to specify what variant of its GeForce RTX 30 series mobile GPUs is being used in a given PC model, the company has said in a statement to The Verge. The move is meant to help consumers understand the level of performance and power consumption they can expect from a PC.

If you've paid attention to gaming laptops in recent years, you may have noticed that Nvidia's mobile GPUs often come with a Max-Q label, but that doesn't always happen. Max-Q is the designation Nvidia uses to refer to its design and technology approach that allows graphics cards to achieve their highest possible performance while staying within certain power or heat limits on laptops.

OEMs can either opt for more power-efficient versions of the GPUs if they want a thinner form factor or go all-out with high-performance variants for heavier machines. However, this causes some problems for consumers, because OEMs haven't been required to disclose what variant of a given GPU is being used in their devices, leaving consumers in the dark about the performance they can expect from that PC.

As you can see on Nvidia's website, the performance levels can vary quite a bit for graphics cards with the same name. For example, the GeForce RTX 3080 can come in variants that use just 80W of power, or go higher than 150W depending on the variant you get. Similarly, the Boost Clock speeds can also vary significantly. Now, OEMs that use Nvidia's mobile GPUs will have to specify the clock speed and power of the GPUs used in their systems, rather than simply being recommended to do so.

While the Max-Q designation is still used here and there, it's not officially part of the product's name, so OEMs don't have to include it in their description. Still, being able to see the power consumption and clock speed should be enough to make the choice easier for consumers. Nvidia says that OEMs are already making this information available, so if you've been looking for a new gaming laptop, you may want to keep an eye out for that.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Nvidia's GeForce Now adds support for new Apple M1-based Macs
      by Jay Bonggolto

Nvidia continues to expand support for GeForce Now to additional platforms. The company announced today that the cloud gaming service is available on macOS devices based on the new Apple M1 CPU.

With the new Apple M1 support, GeForce Now will work only via the Rosetta 2 emulator. That means new Apple M1-based hardware will ask you to install Rosetta before you can download and install the GeForce Now app. The latest expansion follows the recent rollout of beta support for Chrome browser on Windows and macOS. Nvidia noted, however, that you'll have a better gaming experience through the app than in a browser.

Nvidia also announced that it is adding more games to GeForce Now in February such as Apex Legends Season 8, Valheim, and Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood. In addition, it's launching a demo for Square Enix’s Outriders game on GeForce Now on February 25.

In August of last year, GeForce Now also launched on Chrome OS after becoming live on other platforms such as Android and iOS. Nvidia also recently announced a regional expansion for the service.