External monitor plugged into Laptop Flickering

Well just as the title says, I use my laptop exclusively and decided to hook it up to my monitor. Well, the display resolution is fine however, flicker!! Horizontal lines rolling on the screen which cause distraction and pain. I found this 'hack' http://mrgnome.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/external-monitor-flicker-laptop-ground-loop-problem-solved/ and it didn't change a thing.. I used another power cord and followed the steps to no success. What else can I try? It is hooked up via VGA (blue cable) from my Asus K53E with Intel HD 3000 graphics to an acer P215H...

Do you have another device you can plug the monitor into? (to try and troubleshoot the monitor?)

Currently no.. I only have another laptop, I can try it though for sure.. I used this monitor before I had to part-out my desktop but used the DVI port.. Maybe using the DVI cable with an adapter will help?? The DVI cable is thicker, maybe shielded better?

If you have one, I guess, I have old monitors so have to use 1 of those converters on my second card, for me at least, the monitors I have work without issue, (which is partly the reason I asked if you had a way to troubleshoot it, assuming the display on the laptop is working as intended) :)

• Like 1

If you have one, I guess, I have old monitors so have to use 1 of those converters on my second card, for me at least, the monitors I have work without issue, (which is partly the reason I asked if you had a way to troubleshoot it, assuming the display on the laptop is working as intended) :)

Oh!! Ummmm.. I have hooked the laptop to my LCD TV but via HDMI and it was fine once I found the right resolution.. But in this situation, resolution doesn't matter.. I've tried native and everything in between...

Well it's making me think the graphics card on the laptop is doing it's job then, so you could have narrowed it down to cable or monitor...

(Hope it's the cable :) )

I'm hoping cable as well, the monitor isn't top-of-the-line but it's not that old either.. Oh well.. will be too busy tomorrow to mess with it so ... Just deal with it until then or just use the built-in LCD .. :-)

Did you try lowering the Hz on the external monitor?

It won't let me .. unless there is a setting on the monitor it's self ... I'm locked in at 60Hz no matter the res.. which now that I read what I just typed seems odd.. should I not have access to other refresh rates when using external displays? I know I could with the HDMI output...

You... should? Very puzzling that it doesn't. Must be a pretty cheap LCD, no offence.

Probably ... LOL ... It's not a huge deal except Adobe Dreamweaver get's ****ed off unless I use the larger resolution that the 21" offers...