GNU / Linux December 2012 Desktops

Don't know what it is, but I've always thought everything always looked better, cleaner, crisper in Linux, with no graphics tweaking needed. Exactly why I've always kept a computer or 2 around here running some variant of it.

I haven't really toyed with Unity for about a year. It's grown on me. I like it. Think I'll keep it for a bit and see how she feels after some time with normal use...

Theme: Faience

Icons: Faience Azur

Font: Liberation Sans

Wallpaper:

MilfordHighwayNewZealand_1280x720.png

MilfordHighwayNewZealand_1366x768.png

MilfordHighwayNewZealand_1600x900.png

MilfordHighwayNewZealand_1920x1080.png

I put them all in a folder and created a tar.gz file if anyone wants it: HERE

Click Image For Full 1600x900 Resolution:

hvT6cl.jpg

Click Image For Full 1600x900 Resolution:

kNLDKl.jpg

ubuntu gnome-shell remix 12.10:

Adwaita GTK

Faience/Faenza icons

Extensions: Dash to dock, remove accessibility, caffeine, media player indicator, quit button, alternate status menu, places status indicator

post-159052-0-31288100-1354831322.png

• Like 3

Nice desktop. (Y)

One question though: From what I understand LibreOffice won't run on Ubuntu Gnome Remix. What are the alternatives?

I have had a few issues with the gnome remix but no libreoffice issues at all. I have it installed, runs fine, its just not installed by default (the default install has abiword and gnumeric).

The only issues I had with UGR was this rather annoying bug:

https://bugs.launchp...ll/+bug/1046118

Which is fixed if you use the gnome 3 ppa, but using the gnome 3 ppa gave me this rather annoying bug: https://bugs.launchp...ro/+bug/1072151 (also a similar issue with rhythmbox where it says you need additional codecs in the cd ripping settings even though all the appropriate gstreamer 0.10 and gstreamer 1.0 plugins are installed). Which I fixed by getting rid of rhytmbox and brasero (using sound juicer and xfburn instead for cd's).

I also got rid of the gnome packagekit stuff and installed the regular ubuntu update manager and software center, because gnome-packagekit just sucks xD

I have had a few issues with the gnome remix but no libreoffice issues at all. I have it installed, runs fine, its just not installed by default.

That's good news. Kinda got the impression from the Ubuntu Gnome Remix webpage it wouldn't run at all. Is there a reason why they haven't bundled it by default?

That's good news. Kinda got the impression from the Ubuntu Gnome Remix webpage it wouldn't run at all. Is there a reason why they haven't bundled it by default?

They wanted to make it as gnomey as possible so it only includes gnome apps in the default install (abiword and gnumeric are the gnome office apps).

They wanted to make it as gnomey as possible so it only includes gnome apps in the default install (abiword and gnumeric are the gnome office apps).

How do those stack up against LibreOffice?

Thanks mate :)

It's Gnome 2x with my custom MacOS theme. Conky for the system stats, weather, Calendar etc, CoverGloobus for the Music cover you see on the screen, Avant Window Navigator (AWN) for the panel on the left with text icons I threw together and the dock at the bottom is Cairo Dock with OpenGL hardware acceleration. The file manager is Nautilus Elementary, patched to support Finder style toolbuttons :)

Ooh, could I have the theme? I would really like to make Linux look like OS X!!!

Just the initial theme took some time when I first made it, but I use it as a template so any subsequent mods take as little as 5 minutes to create in Photoshop ;)

The scripts, the text icons, all easy, done within minutes.

Does Photoshop run in Linux!? If not, how do you transition the content back and forth between platforms? (i.e. do you have a single shared folder used between a VM or something?)

Does Photoshop run in Linux!? If not, how do you transition the content back and forth between platforms? (i.e. do you have a single shared folder used between a VM or something?)

Wine, mate. ;)

Wine, mate. ;)

So the old -- Mount Windows partition... then run? Personally I have all my cross platform wine programs to save the files to my Dropbox. That way they are available in both Windows and Linux

I run Photoshop via Wine, although I also work on some graphics while in Windows, and accessing NTFS drives is not a problem in Linux.