Star Trek Enterprise - The Most Under Rated Show on TV

ent.jpg

I had seen every Star Trek TV show ever created, except for "Enterprise". I just never had the time to watch it and now that its on Netflix, I watched every episode of every season and I must tell you, this show was awesome. From what I understand, it was cancelled because of low ratings and because fans were complaining that it was too boring. Well, I don't know what the so-called fans found boring about it because that show kept me to the edge of my seat with every episode, especially when they started to fight the Xindi. Those episodes had awesome visual effects. The Enterprise getting all banged up. Archer getting beat constantly. T'Pol taking command of Enterprise. The show was just great. What shame that it didn't make it far like the previous shows. I would have loved to see a movie with them.

The last episode, "These are the voyages" was quite interesting and gave the series a good ending.

I loved it, in fact I loved that much I purchased all the series on DVD. I like watching most of the star Trek series, but was never compelled to purchase the DVDs until I saw Enterprise.

Enterprise was easily the weakest of all the Star Trek series. It had some excellent moments - especially in Season 3 when they moved on to multi-episode story arcs - but the direction of the show was all wrong, the casting was appalling and it just didn't have much of the Star Trek magic. For me Deep Space Nine was easily the best series, followed by The Next Generation, Voyager, The Original Series and then Enterprise. I still enjoyed Enterprise but the first two seasons really dragged and by the time it got good everybody had already written off the show.

I completely agree. I've watched every Star Wars series, but I think Enterprise was the best, most original, followed by Voyager. I didn't find any of the others to be all that fantastic. Including DS9.

Then again this series kind of fell into the hardest of all niches.

What I mean by that is the timeline of the series.

This is the Primitive Space travel well before Kirk (or even before Captain April). This had to be just in enough of a future to be beyond what spaceflight was now, but they kind of missed a bit of the ball. One also had to limit the contact with other species due to the fact that in the original series there were some "FIrst Contacts" (such as Romulan) though the history laid out the Vulcan's were the first to make contact with earth.

So really this was a "limited" timeline they could use for the show.

Some things they should have had...

They should have had an episode where they ran into the "Deep Space Shuttle Probes that resemble the US Space Shuttle."

An explanation of how the Federation became.

I disagree. I saw every episode when they originally came out. The first season was good enough. the 2nd and 3rd were lacking extremely in writing. However I personally feel that season 4 was some of the best writing and episodes in Star Trek history. They had some extremely good episodes and they finally captured that "magic" that would have made the series go to season 7 and beyond. Unfortunately it was too late. I always felt the only reason they went to a war setting for the last season was because they needed to do something to recoup the viewers they lost from the wholekumbaya let's be friends setting they had in seaons 2 and 3. Sadly it was not enough to save the series.

• Like 1

Nah imo.. they recycled a lot of plots from previous Star Trek shows, almost exactly, very little original ideas, continued abuse of time travel plots, Capt. Archer was overly emotional just to continue to stereotype humans as the "emotional" species, they eventually ruined T'Pols character by making her unvulcan-like, the Xindi were dumb conceptually, the dialogue was often blunt and stupid. The show looked very good visually though, better than previous shows.

DS9 is still underrated imo. Wish it would go back on TV.

• Like 1

Sorry but I also disagree. I really didn't enjoy this as TNG, DS9 or Voyager. To me it had to have something unique about it and that comes from good writing. I don't mind it not being too original, if they do a good job of used ideas (e.g. I like the new spiderman, it's not original but well done).

It just was a bit flat and felt like it should've been more...interesting. I hope there is another Star Trek series, in fact I'm sure there will be. Just a question of how long we have to wait, another year or another 10.

Sorry but I also disagree. I really didn't enjoy this as TNG, DS9 or Voyager. To me it had to have something unique about it and that comes from good writing. I don't mind it not being too original, if they do a good job of used ideas (e.g. I like the new spiderman, it's not original but well done).

It just was a bit flat and felt like it should've been more...interesting. I hope there is another Star Trek series, in fact I'm sure there will be. Just a question of how long we have to wait, another year or another 10.

Here is where they missed the boat:

"STAR TREK VI: The Undiscovered Country which featured Captain Hikaru Sulu in command of the U.S.S. Excelsior."

This would have given them a new ship with new adventures:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Excelsior

USS_Excelsior.jpg

I also loved Enterprise. Certainly more than TOS or TNG (Actually I appreciate TOS for introducing Star Trek to the world, for without it the rest wouldn't have ever existed, but it's downright painful to watch--I love all the movies, but they were made in a time of better special effects, costumes, sets, not-so-horrid acting, and much better scripts). TNG was often boring, too, and I hated the Enterprise design in that show. Generations may not have been the greatest Trek movie ever, but at least they destroyed that fugly thing and gave themselves an excuse to give that cast a cooler ship.

Personally, I liked Voyager and DS9 the best of all the shows, but I think overall I appreciate the movies more than the shows.

I watched every episode of Enterprise and couldn't understand what people weren't liking about it; I thought it was great, too. I guess you really have to be a hardcore Trekkie to feel mental anguish when watching Enterprise. My only reservation about the show was that Scott Bakula was the captain, but once he settled into the role he grew on me and I stopped having Quantum Leap flashbacks.

I agree that it is extremely underrated. I also had seen all the treks other than Enterprise until this April when I watched it. I was hooked and watched all the episodes extremely quickly. The first couple seasons were a little slow, but so were TNG and DS9's. Seasons 3 and 4 were awesome.

They ruined it right from the start with all the time traveling aliens crap. Season 4 was finally getting good though, but by then it was too late.

I still enjoyed it, I mean it wasn't a bad show but it should have been a lot better. Also Bakula just wasn't captain material imo.

Was a big fan of the show, enjoyed season 1 and 2, 4. Season 3 was good. I enjoyed seeing the races we never see before.

Time travel is a bad habit that Star Trek hasn't been able to properly shake off. Really interesting ideas about time (the paradox of All Good Things... for example) were few and far between, in favor of bland, boring 'multiverse'-style time travel.

Roddenberry seemed to care a lot about using the show to explore what makes humans human through our interactions with the new and different. I think that's a big part of why it was so light-hearted and casual in its own way.

I haven't given Enterprise a shot, but it's never described in a context that resembles GR's original scope for the franchise.

I dislike the Abrams' reboot for similar reasons.

• Like 2

Enterprise was hands down my favorite. Maybe because it was more contemporary, and didn't overload the audience with technobabble?

I only got into it around series 3 that I enjoyed a fair amount though it sagged badly in parts. However series 4 was great, I've seen a few from series 1 and 2, but 4 is how it should of been from the start as it explored the origins far better.

Time travel is a bad habit that Star Trek hasn't been able to properly shake off. Really interesting ideas about time (the paradox of All Good Things... for example) were few and far between, in favor of bland, boring 'multiverse'-style time travel.

Roddenberry seemed to care a lot about using the show to explore what makes humans human through our interactions with the new and different. I think that's a big part of why it was so light-hearted and casual in its own way.

I haven't given Enterprise a shot, but it's never described in a context that resembles GR's original scope for the franchise.

I dislike the Abrams' reboot for similar reasons.

Its just really easily abused to create pretentious, predictable plots. As a device it should be used sparingly.

I liked Enterprise. DS9 I could never get into. I don't know, found it kind of slow. Maybe I should give it another shot. Stick with it longer.