Microsoft Hotfix: KB2761465 - Unable to get the login screen - Windows 8 x6

I had about 10 updates to install. I updated them all at once and a reboot was required (Windows 8 Pro WMC 64bit). After rebooting the system got to where it showed a DVI connector in the left top corner of the screen and would never get to the lock screen.

After several reimaging and installing patches separately, I narrowed it down to the KB2761465 update patch causing the issue.

This is an IE10 cumulative update. Not real sure what the problem is. I really don't want to hide the update.

Any suggestions out there to get by this?

TIA

That seems odd, as no IE binaries are loaded during startup. How did you narrow it down to this update specifically? It doesn't make sense that an IE update breaks your video, as again no IE binaries that are updated are even loaded during boot. I guess anything is possible, but an IE update doesn't touch anything you use on boot....

I got exactly this problem too in the morning, there was no way to start up my laptop, had to do system restore to recover it...

That seems odd, as no IE binaries are loaded during startup. How did you narrow it down to this update specifically? It doesn't make sense that an IE update breaks your video, as again no IE binaries that are updated are even loaded during boot. I guess anything is possible, but an IE update doesn't touch anything you use on boot....

First off: I image nightly.

There was about 12 patches. I installed 50% and no problem, Installed the other 50% and the problem started. I then narrowed it down from there until I found the one (KB2761465) causing the problem.

I then imaged back, installed all the patches minus the KB2761465 patch, and no problem. I install the last patch (KB2761465), rebooted, and the problem came back.

I then imaged back. Installed only the KB2761465 patch, hiding the remaining, and the problem returned on reboot.

I then imaged back, hide the KB2761465 patch, installed all the remaining patches, and that's where I,m at right now.

Interesting indeed. I have that hotfix installed on multiple machines without issue, so perhaps there's something in common with the folks on this thread above and beyond their use of Windows 8? Hardware or drivers perhaps?

Maybe, but I'm not sure where to start because it happens just prior to the lock screen opening. It appears to be video related? The DVI icon in the top left disappears for a second then reappears, in a loop. I have cursor use.

My Video card is a: ATI Radeon HD 4830

I have KB2761465 installed. No issues at all.

HP Pavilion 23-b010

6GB Ram

AMD Radeon HD 7340

Windows 8, 64-bit

Sounds like a video driver issue, go into safe mode and uninstall your video driver, boot to normal, find the latest drivers and reload.

Got myself the very latest driver, why would this update affect my video driver? that's just plain no testing from their part.

Should Microsoft now test every update with every driver revision from every major hardware manufacturer? I guess I am getting to understand more and more why Microsoft is getting into the device business.

As to the problem, I am curious what speccy or msinfo says about the hardware / drivers in people's machines. The OS code does not change from one user to the next, so a logical place to start would be hardware/driver config - and perhaps installed software if that doesn't help.

Should Microsoft now test every update with every driver revision from every major hardware manufacturer? I guess I am getting to understand more and more why Microsoft is getting into the device business.

As to the problem, I am curious what speccy or msinfo says about the hardware / drivers in people's machines. The OS code does not change from one user to the next, so a logical place to start would be hardware/driver config - and perhaps installed software if that doesn't help.

Not really, the update by itself should have nothing to do with the video driver... if it does, then it's just plain weird.

Exactly. It's impossible to cover every possible configuration out there.

I wish I saw this post before because I went through the same tedious process of weeding out the culprit. System restore wouldn't work from the recovery console (0x80070570 & 0x80070005 errors) so I had to re-image each time.

I updated my video drivers (HD5770) from stock to CAT 12-11 but that had no effect.

I switched my registry hives to the pre-update ones but it still got stuck at the black screen so it's a file issue.

It should be noted that the backlight flashes on and off while the screen is black.

That's possible, but it seems odd that it would block booting - I'd expect app breakage, not Windows breakage (the Windows UI isn't html/js, just some apps). It might be worth it for someone to contact Microsoft and provide their update/cbs logs if the issue persists. That update will come down again with the next cumulative update in 2 months, so it's probably worth figuring out.

My original problem was; Installing the KB2761465 patch, after rebooting, and just before the lock screen opened for the login the DVI connector icon would flash in the top left corner, and would go out, and then back on in an endless loop.

I had an image from the night before so I was able to test.

What I found in my case was; I had previously installed;

1) 8style_skin_pack-x64_win8.exe

2) UltraUXThemePatcher.exe

At the end of my testing I found that if I tried to uninstall any portion of the '8style_skin_pack-x64_win8.exe' pack the same symptom would occur. This happened without even installing the KB2761465 patch.

Not real sure why the KB2761465 patch failed but it included files that updated the iexplorer and the uxtheme. I tried for about an hour to remove the '8style_skin_pack-x64_win8.exe' pack and UXTheme patch, with no luck.

I figured 2 hours was enough time to spend on this, so I preformed a new install in order to fix it. I was also having video problems, which the new install fixed.

Note to self; Keep the first full good image, just incase I need to go back that far...

My original problem was; Installing the KB2761465 patch, after rebooting, and just before the lock screen opened for the login the DVI connector icon would flash in the top left corner, and would go out, and then back on in an endless loop.

I had an image from the night before so I was able to test.

What I found in my case was; I had previously installed;

1) 8style_skin_pack-x64_win8.exe

2) UltraUXThemePatcher.exe

At the end of my testing I found that if I tried to uninstall any portion of the '8style_skin_pack-x64_win8.exe' pack the same symptom would occur. This happened without even installing the KB2761465 patch.

Not real sure why the KB2761465 patch failed but it included files that updated the iexplorer and the uxtheme. I tried for about an hour to remove the '8style_skin_pack-x64_win8.exe' pack and UXTheme patch, with no luck.

I figured 2 hours was enough time to spend on this, so I preformed a new install in order to fix it. I was also having video problems, which the new install fixed.

Note to self; Keep the first full good image, just incase I need to go back that far...

Confirmed, at least with the UltraUXThemePatcher, not even a sfc /scannow could repair it, even in offline mode. I'm in the process of recovering my entertainment partition...

yeah the UX style beta is becoming more hassle then it's worth, i just had a similar problem with it except my computer would just blue screen after i restarted after the updates (luckily i was able to do a system restore to right before i did the updates and was fine) I think I'll leave uxstyle uninstalled for awhile, at least until it's updated again and is more stable

The trick is to revert to the default MS theme before installing the updates. The system tries to load the custom theme on reboot but can't with the updated theme files so it just stalls with a black screen. You may be better off uninstalling your UXThemepatcher first (change to default theme first) since you will have to reinstall it again anyway.

If you knew where the theme was set in the registry you could load the hive in a broken offline system and change it to the default. That's if system restore wouldn't work and you didn't want to re-image/reinstall.