Raspberry Pi and 5.1 sound (HDMI to DVI + audio)

Hi,

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm considering getting a Raspberry Pi and using it for my home theater. The PC I'm using right now is noisy, while using Pi and the projector in eco mode would practically be silent.

The question is following: what is the easiest way to connect the Pi to both a DVI projector and a set of 5.1 PC speakers? AFAIK, Raspberry Pi supports 5.1 audio via HDMI, but the problem is that I'm not sure how to connect the speakers I'm using right now, especially since I'd need to use an HDMI to DVI cable to connect to the projector.

What's the simplest way to achieve this? Getting a USB soundcard, or trying to find a cable that will somehow split the HDMI output to DVI for video and the standard 3.5 mm audio output for the surround speakers. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Hi,

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm considering getting a Raspberry Pi and using it for my home theater. The PC I'm using right now is noisy, while using Pi and the projector in eco mode would practically be silent.

The question is following: what is the easiest way to connect the Pi to both a DVI projector and a set of 5.1 PC speakers? AFAIK, Raspberry Pi supports 5.1 audio via HDMI, but the problem is that I'm not sure how to connect the speakers I'm using right now, especially since I'd need to use an HDMI to DVI cable to connect to the projector.

What's the simplest way to achieve this? Getting a USB soundcard, or trying to find a cable that will somehow split the HDMI output to DVI for video and the standard 3.5 mm audio output for the surround speakers. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

I am using a Raspberry Pi in the bedroom and whilst it is great in concept, in terms of practicality it is annoyingly slow. I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and picking up an AppleTV or another Acer Revo instead as both of those are close to silent too.

I am using a Raspberry Pi in the bedroom and whilst it is great in concept, in terms of practicality it is annoyingly slow. I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and picking up an AppleTV or another Acer Revo instead as both of those are close to silent too.

Hmm :/ I'd pretty much use it only to play 720p videos, but yeah, as it seems, to solve my original issue, I could fiddle with some pricy adapters or buy an external 5.1 soundcard, combined with all the other extra expenses, I might actually look into buying/building an HTPC myself.

Same here, I have it running XBian and streaming video over wifi, if you set it away with an SD movie, it generally plays fine, but 720p+ and the wifi can't take it even though it states being connected at 100mbps, possibly just the mini wifi usb I'm using

I have had it running 1080p wired but it wasn't exactly error free, I had to drop the refresh rate down iirc

There is a 512MB model now, but personally I think its the CPU that is the problem, I have mine OCd to 900MHz too