'Berandal' (aka The Raid 2) Announces New Cast

With principal photography on Berandal - the upcoming sequel to The Raid - now just weeks away a handful of new cast members have been announced. We know star Iko Uwais will be back but who will be joining him?

Julie Estelle (Macabre) will take the role of Hammer Girl with other parts going to Merantau baddie Alex Abbad, The Forbidden Door star Marsha Timothy, and local stars Mathias Muchus and Tio Pakusadewo. And here's one for those who are more concerned with who will be punching who than they are with who will be delivering the lines: Internationally renowned silat practitioner Cecep Arif Rahman has also signed on for a major part.

Writer-director Gareth Evans actually tweeted the Rahman news a while back, incredibly excited to have landed such a high profile martial arts expert, Rahman having traveled the world extensively to demonstrate his art in international competition. Is this the new Mad Dog? Check out the demonstration video below - someone is getting their wish, based on the video title - for a sample of what Rahman can do.

http://twitchfilm.com/2012/12/berandal-aka-the-raid-2-announces-new-cast.html

• 2 weeks later...

Evans took to his Twitter page [via The Playlist] yesterday to tweet the following:

Ok Raid 2 tidbit, we start shooting on January 19th and the first scene takes place 2hrs after the first film ends

You guys liked the first one, i brought it on blu ray but after 45minutes i turned it off :( and there's me.. waiting months to see it! and i usually love these kind of films. maybe over use of blood in it.. abit fake looking.

Oh cool, a sequel? I quite enjoyed the first one so this could be awesome!

Apparently it was planned to be a trilogy from the start.

While developing The Raid in script form, Evans started to toy around with the idea of creating a link between it and the initial project; Berandal. It has been later confirmed that Berandal will serve as a sequel to The Raid.[43][44] Evans has also stated his intention to make a trilogy

A few months ago I read that they've actually confirmed the series to be a trilogy but I cannot find where I read that now. It was around the same time they changed the name from just "The Raid" to "The Raid: Redemption", though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First Look At "Hammer Girl" In New THE RAID 2: BERANDAL Images

1370434260.jpg

Reaction to this scene:

The clip we saw is from an action scene on a moving subway car: Hammer Girl against a bunch of guys in suits. The clip was only a few minutes long, but it was enough to see that not only have Evans and his crew maintained the freshness and brilliance of the first film, finding new and inventive ways to present action and martial arts, but they've gone above and beyond by exploring new spaces and (obviously) new characters.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Asian cinema never ceases to impress me. Unfortunately, last time an asian movie was shown in the theaters here was, I don't know, around 2002 when "Hero" came out, riding the wave of the "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" oscar.

Wait, Tony Jaa is in Fast & Furious 7? Woohoo.

As for this movie, I still trying to find a nice (price wise) Blu-ray of the Raid, but I like the parts that I've seen. A sequel is just peachy.

• 3 weeks later...

Asian cinema never ceases to impress me. Unfortunately, last time an asian movie was shown in the theaters here was, I don't know, around 2002 when "Hero" came out, riding the wave of the "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" oscar.

Wait, Tony Jaa is in Fast & Furious 7? Woohoo.

As for this movie, I still trying to find a nice (price wise) Blu-ray of the Raid, but I like the parts that I've seen. A sequel is just peachy.

Even if you can't find it all that cheap it's worth getting. The Raid and the IP Man movies (always worth getting if you haven't seen them) are some of the best martial arts movies I've seen in recent years.

Even if you can't find it all that cheap it's worth getting. The Raid and the IP Man movies (always worth getting if you haven't seen them) are some of the best martial arts movies I've seen in recent years.

I've bought The Raid this week and already have both of the Yip Man movies. The asian section in my Blu-ray collection is growing steadily :p

Have you also seen "Huo Yuanjia"? I consider it one of the best traditional marts movies. "Tom yum goong" is also pretty badass!

• 2 weeks later...

SONY PICTURES CLASSICS AND STAGE 6 FILMS TO RELEASE THE RAID 2 ON MARCH 28

NEW YORK (December 23, 2013) ? Sony Pictures Classics and Stage 6 Films announced today that they will release THE RAID 2 in the United States on March 28. The film will have its World Premiere at the upcoming 2014 Sundance Film Festival.

Written and directed by Gareth Evans, THE RAID 2 picks up right where the first film left off and follows Rama (Iko Uwais) as he goes undercover and infiltrates the ranks of a ruthless Jakarta crime syndicate in order to protect his family and uncover the corruption in his own police force.

THE RAID 2 was produced by Ario Sagantoro for Merantau Films, and Aram Tertzakian and Nate Bolotin of XYZ Films. The film was executive produced by Rangga Maya Barack-Evans for Merantau Films, Irwan D. Mussry, Nick Spicer and Todd Brown on behalf of XYZ. Matt Flannery (THE RAID: REDEMPTION) and Dimas Imam Subhono served as cinematographers with Joseph Trapanese (THE BOURNE LEGACY), Aria Prayogi (THE RAID: REDEMPTION) and Fajar Yuskemal (THE RAID: REDEMPTION) scoring the picture.

I've bought The Raid this week and already have both of the Yip Man movies. The asian section in my Blu-ray collection is growing steadily :p

Have you also seen "Huo Yuanjia"? I consider it one of the best traditional marts movies. "Tom yum goong" is also pretty badass!

Tom Yung Goong, also known as the Protector - Incredible film!! Sequel was released a month or two ago abroad, cant wait for it to start filtering over here!

"The raid movies" as someone said above, raises a question...

I am aware of the one that was in a tower block about 2 years ago, big international release.  Are there more?

"The raid movies" as someone said above, raises a question...

I am aware of the one that was in a tower block about 2 years ago, big international release.  Are there more?

The second one comes out in March and I remember reading a long time ago that they originally planned to make the series a trilogy. However I can't find where I read that now so I don't know if that's changed.

Not sure if that answers your question though.

And the new trailer is amazing. I'm really looking forward to the new movie.

• Like 1