audio input and playback

Question

hi again all! i know i am posting alot lately but hopefully my topics are helping more then just me ... and i will say all the help i have gotten has helped me learn so much!

now I need to move on a bit with my project and start practising with hardware I am not going to ask you to do my work for me but I am asking for a kick start in the right direction ... can someone give me or link me to a bit of code which reads microphone input (I dont know a single thing about programming around hardware so i will just assume that a microphone jack and a built in mic have different bits of code so if you do help could you specify what hardware its accessing)

I then want to process that output and play it back PREFERABLY without out it being saved as a file on my machine as i am sure i could do that without help from you guys (google :D ) when i have a fair understanding on this I am going to try and build a voip ... so can anyone help me with a basic mic and play back program to get me started??

13 answers to this question

The java media framework should do what you need:

http://www.cs.odu.ed...5Capturing.html

can i really call my self a programmer if i just use frameworks though ? :( I have always had a grudge against frameworks I am only going to get a A- max in my php assignment because one of the criteria was to use frameworks but i refused to and programmed it all from scratch, this java is not for an assignment but for personal learning .... do you think i am being silly and every programmer uses frame works or can you see my point?

although further inspection of this website you sent me has allowed me to see its just the basic kind of things rather then a whole program that you tweek xD standard java class sharing

brilliant link

can i really call my self a programmer if i just use frameworks though ? :( I have always had a grudge against frameworks I am only going to get a A- max in my php assignment because one of the criteria was to use frameworks but i refused to and programmed it all from scratch, this java is not for an assignment but for personal learning .... do you think i am being silly and every programmer uses frame works or can you see my point?

although further inspection of this website you sent me has allowed me to see its just the basic kind of things rather then a whole program that you tweek xD standard java class sharing

There's no shame in using frameworks. Any way you do it you're already using code someone else wrote, whether it's in the JRE or not.

You can also use the internal javax.sound.sampled:

http://www.jsresources.org/examples/SimpleAudioRecorder.java.html

JMF might help later on though for video if you're interested in doing that.

There's no shame in using frameworks. Any way you do it you're already using code someone else wrote, whether it's in the JRE or not.

You can also use the internal javax.sound.sampled:

http://www.jsresourc...order.java.html

JMF might help later on though for video if you're interested in doing that.

I have tried using the sound sampled thing before but I dunno getting the input is fine ... but setting the output as the input directly i am having trouble with i have only played saved files ... video will be a big yes ... I eventually want to make a 100% encrypted text, voice and video program ... stage 1 complete im now on to stage 2 voice :D I already have some methods planned for this should be about 3-5 months and the program should be 100% complete if I can get used to this JMF thing... already having problems with the first example (yes i have downloaded and put the JARS into my lib) its just saying its wrong lol I set di and got everything fine except the vector deviceList... its having a hissy ... if you have used this before could you tell me the issue? obviously im very new to this advanced (well i think its advanced) level of programming

// Get the CaptureDeviceInfo for the live audio capture device
Vector deviceList = CaptureDeviceManager.getDeviceList(new
AudioFormat("linear", 44100, 16, 2));
if (deviceList.size() > 0)
di = (CaptureDeviceInfo)deviceList.firstElement();
else
// Exit if we can't find a device that does linear, 44100Hz, 16 bit, stereo
System.exit(-1);
// Create a Player for the capture device:
try{
Player p = Manager.createPlayer(di.getLocator());
} catch (IOException e) {
} catch (NoPlayerException e) {}
[/CODE]

Is it a compile error or a runtime error?

sorry went to bed xD was 5 am....

erm well it just said vector format not reconisged (or applicable) ... so i am trying to build up slowly using all the methods so at moment i am using this ...

and the error is a simple one but I dont understand this thing yet ...

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem:

The method getDeviceList(Format) in the type CaptureDeviceManager is not applicable for the arguments ()

public class AudioRecorder02 {
static CaptureDeviceInfo di = null;

public static void main(String args[]) {
CaptureDeviceManager.getDeviceList();
CaptureDeviceInfo deviceInfo = CaptureDeviceManager.getDevice("deviceName");
System.out.println(deviceInfo);
}
}
[/CODE]

sorry went to bed xD was 5 am....

erm well it just said vector format not reconisged (or applicable) ... so i am trying to build up slowly using all the methods so at moment i am using this ...

and the error is a simple one but I dont understand this thing yet ...

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem:

The method getDeviceList(Format) in the type CaptureDeviceManager is not applicable for the arguments ()

static CaptureDeviceInfo di = null;

CaptureDeviceManager.getDeviceList();
CaptureDeviceInfo deviceInfo = CaptureDeviceManager.getDevice("deviceName");
System.out.println(deviceInfo);
}
}
[/CODE]

Make sure you're importing the right CaptureDeviceManager for the empty argument as there are two: [b]javax.media.cdm.CaptureDeviceManager [/b]and[b] javax.media.CaptureDeviceManager[/b]. The first one extends the second one to add a little more functionality to it. The second one doesn't accept an empty argument for getDeviceList though.

Make sure you're importing the right CaptureDeviceManager for the empty argument as there are two: javax.media.cdm.CaptureDeviceManager and javax.media.CaptureDeviceManager. The first one extends the second one to add a little more functionality to it. The second one doesn't accept an empty argument for getDeviceList though.

Vector is a raw type. References to generic type Vector<E> should be parameterized

this is whatit says every time i try and use the vector "Vector deviceList = CaptureDeviceManager.getDeviceList();"

Usually that should just come up as a warning and not an error. However you can put CaptureDeviceInfo as the parameter for the Vector.

ye that is the warning but i assumed thats what causing the error ... but i think i am wrong I jave changed my code again to try and get the whole data

and it comes up with this ... I am just thumbling around with this thing i really no clue ..

Exception in thread "main" java.util.NoSuchElementException

at java.util.Vector.firstElement(Vector.java:485)

at AudioRecorder02.main(AudioRecorder02.java:20)

import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.Vector;
import javax.media.CaptureDeviceInfo;
import javax.media.Manager;
import javax.media.NoPlayerException;
import javax.media.Player;
import javax.media.cdm.*;
import javax.media.format.AudioFormat;
static CaptureDeviceInfo di;

Vector deviceList = CaptureDeviceManager.getDeviceList();
di = (CaptureDeviceInfo) deviceList.firstElement();
System.out.println(di);
// Create a Player for the capture device:}
}
[/CODE]

ye that is the warning but i assumed thats what causing the error ... but i think i am wrong I jave changed my code again to try and get the whole data

and it comes up with this ... I am just thumbling around with this thing i really no clue ..

Exception in thread "main" java.util.NoSuchElementException

at java.util.Vector.firstElement(Vector.java:485)

at AudioRecorder02.main(AudioRecorder02.java:20)

import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.Vector;
import javax.media.CaptureDeviceInfo;
import javax.media.Manager;
import javax.media.NoPlayerException;
import javax.media.Player;
import javax.media.cdm.*;
import javax.media.format.AudioFormat;
static CaptureDeviceInfo di;

Vector deviceList = CaptureDeviceManager.getDeviceList();
di = (CaptureDeviceInfo) deviceList.firstElement();
System.out.println(di);
// Create a Player for the capture device:}
}
[/CODE]

That means the Vector is empty and it couldn't find any devices. Did you use the installer version and run the JMF Registry scanner?

post-13022-0-70343000-1356356208.png

That means the Vector is empty and it couldn't find any devices. Did you use the installer version and run the JMF Registry scanner?

post-13022-0-70343000-1356356208.png

noo?? i just downloaded the multiplatform jars and added them to my lib