PS4 and Xbox 720 could be delayed by AMD Amkor chip production postponement

PS4 and Xbox 720 could be delayed by AMD Amkor chip production postponement

Source: examiner

1356893487_8373_chip.jpg

The upcoming next-generation systems, thePS4 and Xbox 720, could be pushed back from their expected launch date. According to a report today from the SemiAccurate forums, AMD has postponed the production of the Amkor GPU / CPU 28nm Si Interposer + DDR + Logic chip from late 2013 to the middle of 2014. As a result, the console that uses that particular processor will also suffer a delay. You can check out an image of the slide in question, as well as some concept images of the PS4 and Xbox 720 from Yanko Design, in the slideshow at the top of this article.

The Amkor GPU / CPU 28nm Si Interposer + DDR + Logic chip is rumored to be used by both the PS4 and Xbox 720. SemiAccurate suggests that the Microsoft is using the processor for their console, although Sony could also be utilizing it for the PS4. Many reports have previously revealed that Sony and Microsoft are planning to release their next-generation systems sometime in 2013.

A delay of the PS4 / Xbox(Next) would be very interesting.

I would give Wii U much more time in the market that can offer the same level or slightly better then the current PS3/Xbox360, but on the flipside should help increase quality / development of launch titles of the next gen PS4/Xbox(Next).

This would be great news for nintendo. Some of the other components they will use will be cheaper by then, maybe the consoles will be slightly cheaper. Maybe they will have stable software pre-installed unlike the wii u :p

I would give Wii U much more time in the market that can offer the same level or slightly better then the current PS3/Xbox360

The Wii U is simply a more expensive version of the X360 and PS3 without the software support. It's not an 'upgrade' for existing console owners, which makes it a tough sell. The only real market that Nintendo has is younger children / families. Obviously a processor delay for the upcoming consoles wouldn't hurt Nintendo, though it's not exactly a huge benefit either. Microsoft and Sony will almost certainly be in hype mode by next Christmas, meaning that the Wii U will struggle to get noticed.

I would give Wii U much more time in the market that can offer the same level or slightly better then the current PS3/Xbox360, but on the flipside should help increase quality / development of launch titles of the next gen PS4/Xbox(Next).

Well the Wii U can already Offer far better quality then the 360 and PS3 it is just the developers who need to make it so as the current games most of them are just straight forward ports with some Wii U stuff tacked on . the Wii U has a really far more beefed up much newer GPU then either 360 or Ps3 and once developers really home in on CPU optimizations and GPGPu utilization some really great looking games will come out of the system as it is tho the system itself is more powerful just for the fact the current port games look the same as the otehr systems yet render on 2 separate screens in real time

The Wii U is simply a more expensive version of the X360 and PS3 without the software support. It's not an 'upgrade' for existing console owners, which makes it a tough sell. The only real market that Nintendo has is younger children / families. Obviously a processor delay for the upcoming consoles wouldn't hurt Nintendo, though it's not exactly a huge benefit either. Microsoft and Sony will almost certainly be in hype mode by next Christmas, meaning that the Wii U will struggle to get noticed.

People are still stupidly spreading this "its games aren't all rated 'M for mature' so that means it's only for kids" garbage?

• Like 3

People are still stupidly spreading this "its games aren't all rated 'M for mature' so that means it's only for kids" garbage?

I never claimed it was targeted exclusively at kids, just that that's Nintendo's primary demographic. For starters, look at Nintendo's first party titles:

New Super Mario Bros U

Nintendo Land

Pikmin 3

The Legend Of Zelda

So, nothing mature there - in fact they're all extremely kiddie games. Then take a look at the games Nintendo is publishing:

The Wonderful 101

Super Smash Bros sequel

Lego City Undercover

Sing Party

Game & Wario

Bayonetta 2 (the only semi-mature title)

The few mature game it has are mostly multi-platform titles, like Assassin's Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City, Black Ops 2, Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3, etc. My point isn't that Nintendo doesn't have mature titles on the Wii U but they are the minority and are mostly available elsewhere. Nintendo is clearly pushing a casual direction with the Wii U. There's very little there for core gamers to get excited about.

A delay for the X360 / PS4 doesn't give the Wii U much of an advantage, as the multi-platform titles are available elsewhere and the exclusives are predominantly aimed at the casual / kiddie market.

I still doubt the next generation systems will just switch over to an AMD based cpu after they've been using a different arc so far. Of course anything can happen but until we have some official specs I still expect a PowerPC based system for the next Xbox.

In reference to the "mature vs kiddy" debate, I enjoy LEGO games more than most bullcrap pushed out by companies. I would take playing LEGO Lord of the Rings with my brother in the same room, or Nintendo Land with my family, over Black Ops 2 any day. I wonder why? Oh wait, that's because the former games are engaging without stupid gimmicks or unnecessary "maturity."

Super Mario Bros. in the day was a solid title enjoyable by any gamer. What makes New Super Mario Bros U "kiddy?" Is Super Mario Bros for the NES "kiddy" as well because there's no blood, gore, or sex?

Super Mario Bros. in the day was a solid title enjoyable by any gamer. What makes New Super Mario Bros U "kiddy?" Is Super Mario Bros for the NES "kiddy" as well because there's no blood, gore, or sex?

Why do you even have to ask this question? You know the answer.

Well the Wii U can already Offer far better quality then the 360 and PS3 it is just the developers who need to make it so as the current games most of them are just straight forward ports with some Wii U stuff tacked on . the Wii U has a really far more beefed up much newer GPU then either 360 or Ps3 and once developers really home in on CPU optimizations and GPGPu utilization some really great looking games will come out of the system as it is tho the system itself is more powerful just for the fact the current port games look the same as the otehr systems yet render on 2 separate screens in real time

So far I have not seen any of this better quality. even Wii Specific games like ZombiU which suffers from the worst loading time sin history of mankind and contains more loading than zombie killing, and it doesn't even have working mirrors... While the WiiU has a somewhat better GPU, it has a inferior CPU and the main memory is slower.

As it is and as it seems, The WiiU isn't going to take the place of the current gen 360 and PS3 as a main console any time soon. it's a great console, mainly because of Nintendo titles like Mario and... umm yeah, Mario. but if you want a current gen console with good graphics and good core titles, you're not picking up the WiiU over the 360 today, the 360 is a better choice, loads faster, looks the same, and is more immersive in triple A games.

The WiiU is a god secondary console if you have the disposable income for it, but that's it as it is.

New Super Mario Bros U

Nintendo Land

Pikmin 3

The Legend Of Zelda

I haven't played Pikmin, but the other three games are not "kiddie" games.

• Like 1

In reference to the "mature vs kiddy" debate, I enjoy LEGO games more than most bullcrap pushed out by companies. I would take playing LEGO Lord of the Rings with my brother in the same room, or Nintendo Land with my family, over Black Ops 2 any day. I wonder why? Oh wait, that's because the former games are engaging without stupid gimmicks or unnecessary "maturity."

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy many casual games as much as core games. I've had a lot of fun with Rayman Origins, Bastion, Plants Vs Zombies and Trine 2 but I also like playing core games like The Witcher 2, Far Cry 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Borderlands 2, etc. The issue is choice and in that regard the Wii U is very much more limited when it comes to core games. It's the same with upcoming games, with no Wii U version of Tomb Raider, Metro: Last Light, GTAV, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, etc. It's not just a credible platform for core gaming.

I haven't played Pikmin, but the other three games are not "kiddie" games.

They have elements that appeal to adults but just look at New Super Mario Bros U (skip a few minutes in to get to the gameplay):

If you don't think that's aimed at kiddies then I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

They have elements that appeal to adults but just look at New Super Mario Bros U (skip a few minutes in to get to the gameplay):

[snip]

If you don't think that's aimed at kiddies then I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

watched 10 seconds, commentator is an adult laughing and having fun. Game is the same as old Mario but with modern graphics.

Who says that Mario U isn't a core game ?

I don't need to look at the trailer, I'm playing the game.

It's like saying that Dreamworks and Pixar movies (well Cars 2 excluded) are kiddie movies. they are movies that are just as much for kids as adult, especially dreamworks movies with come with a lot of adult humor. doesn't make them any less adult movies than a violent Rambo movie full of sex and gore. just different.

It's like saying that Dreamworks and Pixar movies (well Cars 2 excluded) are kiddie movies. they are movies that are just as much for kids as adult, especially dreamworks movies with come with a lot of adult humor. doesn't make them any less adult movies than a violent Rambo movie full of sex and gore. just different.

They are designed for kids but appeal to adults - I mean, no one would seriously suggest that Toy Story was made primarily for adults. Having to find all the collectibles in NSMBU doesn't make it a core game; it just means that OCD-types will enjoy it. There's no doubt in my mind that NSMBU falls under the casual category rather than the core category.

I'm not suggesting that core games need to include violence or sex but The Witcher 2 and Far Cry 3 were both better games because of their mature themes.

no they where good games because they where good games, the whitcher would still be a good game without the adult themes and nudity, in fact some of it was overly forced and unecessary. I on't mind it, and think we need games that are purely adult like that to, but that's not what made them good games.

and NSMBU is a great game and a core game because it's a great hard and fun game, not because of the collectibles.

and while kids think shrek is funny, You need to be an adult to fully understand and appreciate the movies. they're not made for children but appeal to adults, they're made for both.

They are designed for kids but appeal to adults - I mean, no one would seriously suggest that Toy Story was made primarily for adults. Having to find all the collectibles in NSMBU doesn't make it a core game; it just means that OCD-types will enjoy it. There's no doubt in my mind that NSMBU falls under the casual category rather than the core category.

I'm not suggesting that core games need to include violence or sex but The Witcher 2 and Far Cry 3 were both better games because of their mature themes.

Except, that basically is what you've been saying. As i don't think you've listed a game as a "core game" that doesn't center completely(or near completely) around violence and other "mature" things.

Except, that basically is what you've been saying. As i don't think you've listed a game as a "core game" that doesn't center completely(or near completely) around violence and other "mature" things.

They were just the examples I listed. Games like Defense Grid, Civilization V and King's Bounty have little in the way of violence or sexual content yet they are core games.