Dual booting win7 basic and mint 14 cinnamon

if i boot into mint, and restart later to go back, will i be able to go back to windows?

post-456753-0-30349900-1357045661.png

I would have installed Mint last and let it sort the bootloader out for you using grub, that way you don't have to mess around with entries like that

If you can't boot back into windows doing it the way you've shown, just boot from the DVD and repair the MBR manually

• Like 1

if i boot into mint, and restart later to go back, will i be able to go back to windows?

According to that image, you should be able to though.

Just did this yesterday.

In short, it all depends on where you told Mint to install its bootloader.

Ubuntu and its variants are going to want to install it to "sda" by default - so it becomes the primary bootloader. Note "sda" without a number after it means the MBR of your disk.

Assuming you're currently happily using the Windows bootloader, I would change this option to "sdaX" where X is the partition of the linux install.

This way, you use the Windows bootloader (configured later via BCD) to load the GRUB bootloader of Mint which resides on a partition now.

Seems to me that this configuration gives you the most flexibility down the road and easiest recovery path. Also, I find the Windows bootloader much less susceptible to problems than GRUB in a (Windows) dual boot situation.

- auto-logic