Pacquiao given Parkinson's warning

The possibility of retirement for Manny Pacquiao was raised on Thursday after neurologist Dr Rustico Jimenez speculated as to whether the Filipino was showing the first signs of Parkinson's.

According to reports Jimenez, president of the Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines, said he was concerned about the health of the fighter, who suffered a brutal knockout at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez at the end of 2012.

Parkinson's disease is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system, which affects Pacquiao's world renowned coach Freddie Roach. Dr Jimenez is concerned he can see the first signs now creeping into the physiology of the 34-year-old welterweight.

"Even though his reflexes are quick, I noticed the movement - it's just another view, my personal view - but it seems like there are early signs," Jimenez told radio dzMM.

"There are some movements that you will notice with his hands. It's in the hands, and not the head, where you can easily see this. It twitches a little bit. Although I haven't seen it up close, I think I am seeing that there are some signs."

Jimenez later clarified that he had never treated Pacquiao, so his opinion was only a view from afar. Nevertheless, he still offered his best advice, which is to give up boxing for the good of his long-term health.

Pacquiao is yet to clarify what the future holds, after he suffered back-to-back defeats for the first time in his illustrious career. It is speculated he may return for a make-or-break fight in September 2013, but no official word has come from the Pacquiao camp.

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/186663.html