How do you backup SVN?

I'm wondering if I have all bases covered, so how do you backup your repos?

I have the following batch script running on a scheduled task, which creates a 7-zip file like this:

post-176093-0-11120500-1357446480.png

Looking for any input - thanks a lot! :)

@echo off
echo Backing up SVN... do NOT close!
echo.
echo.
for /f "tokens=1-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /t') do (set bdate=%%c-%%a-%%b)
for /f "tokens=1-2 delims=/:" %%a in ('time /t') do (set btime=%%a-%%b)
cd %temp%
rd /s /q svnbackup >nul 2>&1
md svnbackup
cd svnbackup
md certs
md conf
net stop VisualSVNServer >nul 2>&1
svnadmin dump --deltas --quiet S:/Customers > Customers.dump
svnadmin dump --deltas --quiet S:/Internal > Internal.dump
net start VisualSVNServer >nul 2>&1
for %%I in (S:\authz S:\authz-windows S:\htpasswd C:\INTERNAL\SVN\Backup.bat) do copy %%I . >nul
copy "%VISUALSVN_SERVER%\certs\*" certs >nul
copy "%VISUALSVN_SERVER%\conf\*" conf >nul
"%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -mx9 %bdate%_%btime%.7z *
move *.7z C:\Users\DB\Dropbox\Backups\SVN >nul
cd ..
rd /s /q svnbackup >nul 2>&1
[/CODE]

• Like 1

I'm wondering if I have all bases covered, so how do you backup your repos? I have the following batch script running on a scheduled task, which creates a 7-zip file like this: post-176093-0-11120500-1357446480.png Looking for any input - thanks a lot! :)
 @echo off echo Backing up SVN... do NOT close! echo. echo. for /f "tokens=1-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /t') do (set bdate=%%c-%%a-%%b) for /f "tokens=1-2 delims=/:" %%a in ('time /t') do (set btime=%%a-%%b) cd %temp% rd /s /q svnbackup >nul 2>&1 md svnbackup cd svnbackup md certs md conf net stop VisualSVNServer >nul 2>&1 svnadmin dump --deltas --quiet S:/Customers > Customers.dump svnadmin dump --deltas --quiet S:/Internal > Internal.dump net start VisualSVNServer >nul 2>&1 for %%I in (S:\authz S:\authz-windows S:\htpasswd C:\INTERNAL\SVN\Backup.bat) do copy %%I . >nul copy "%VISUALSVN_SERVER%\certs\*" certs >nul copy "%VISUALSVN_SERVER%\conf\*" conf >nul "%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -mx9 %bdate%_%btime%.7z * move *.7z C:\Users\DB\Dropbox\Backups\SVN >nul cd .. rd /s /q svnbackup >nul 2>&1 [/CODE]

<snip>

Not exactly the answer I was looking for, but thanks for the effort, and welcome to Neowin! :)

I just use a scheduled svnsync to back mine up to another computer.

Thanks Don. The only off-site service I have to backup to though is Dropbox.

Just use svnsync to copy the files to your dropbox folder. Or have your script place your 7z files in the dropbox folder - and then dropbox will sync them to the cloud and there you go a backup and DR all at the same time.

Just use svnsync to copy the files to your dropbox folder. Or have your script place your 7z files in the dropbox folder - and then dropbox will sync them to the cloud and there you go a backup and DR all at the same time.

The latter of your ideas is exactly what's going on right now ;)

move *.7z C:\Users\DB\Dropbox\Backups\SVN &gt;nul

Tell me though, when I was deciding which route to go down, it was a choice between hotcopy and dump, since these create a backup file. From a quick scan of Google, svnsync creates a replica. Which is easier to restore? Just got a VM installed to test out a restore using the file the batch script above makes... when I get a chance.