Mum vs Windows 8 - attempting a shutdown

I grew up to NOT touch the button on the front. You always shut down from the OS, and once it told you it was safe, you could touch the button.

Now we're being told to do the opposite.

I wish MS had a refund policy for this useless OS.

And? So? Well? What? You're saying you can't change with the times? I grew up with a bunch of BS too. But just like any one computer user should, my habits have changed and adapted with each new update. That power button is now how I turn off my machine. Technically, I DON'T even turn off my machine. It's spends its time in sleep when I'm not home or using it.

You can either continue to complain, or put on your big boy pants and get with the times, because from what you say, you're on the verge of being left behind.

And? So? Well? What? You're saying you can't change with the times? I grew up with a bunch of BS too. But just like any one computer user should, my habits have changed and adapted with each new update. That power button is now how I turn off my machine. Technically, I DON'T even turn off my machine. It's spends its time in sleep when I'm not home or using it.

I got my $40 refund.

• Like 3

I got my $40 refund.

Cool story. Hope that Start Menu serves you well 20 years down the line. Nothing else will work for you, since it's what you grew up with.

• Like 1

You can either continue to complain, or put on your big boy pants and get with the times, because from what you say, you're on the verge of being left behind.

Or maybe, just maybe YOU could (FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER SINCE WINDOWS 8 HAS BEEN RELEASED!) put on YOUR big boy pants and accept OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS...Left behind for not accepting Metro => this must the the most ridiculous thing you've said up until this point here at neowin...

<p>

Or maybe, just maybe YOU could (FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER SINCE WINDOWS 8 HAS BEEN RELEASED!) put on YOUR big boy pants and accept OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS...Left behind for not accepting Metro => this must the the craziest thing you've said up until this point here at neowin...</p>

What kind of GUI do you think we'll be using down the road? If you answer "the desktop", well, you're not going to be right for long. Metro won't last forever, but what do you think will be replacing it? A new GUI for the new technology we'll be using at that point. You can bet your wallet it will be touch focused, too.

Clinging to old habits just because "you grew up with them" is going to do nothing but harm you.

• Like 1

Yeah that's a good point. Why didn't they put a shut down option on the user tile menu at the top?

Edit: Oh god, here we go again!

I have to agree. I've had to help a few people find shut down, as it is hidden... It's almost as an afterthought... I'm not entirely anti-Windows8, but there are some areas where necessary features appear to be shoe horned in. I hope future updates resolve those issues.

It's almost as an afterthought...

Because it is. Sleep mode and hibernation are meant to be the new shut down. Especially on mobile devices.

• Like 1

What kind of GUI do you think we'll be using down the road? If you answer "the desktop", well, you're not going to be right for long. Metro won't last forever, but what do you think will be replacing it? A new GUI for the new technology we'll be using at that point. You can bet your wallet it will be touch focused, too.

Clinging to old habits just because "you grew up with them" is going to do nothing but harm you.

I am sorry, the Desktop (or similar UIs) will not go anywhere. I have MANY people at work that have dozens and dozens of windows open. They sometimes have 6 windows open per screen. Going from complete free floating windows with no restrictions to a UI that has ANY APP run at full screen (does not matter if it needs it or not) and a 70%/30% two-apps-at-once UI is BETTER?

How? Why? I just fail to see how this is the MUST NEEDED step in computing or else the world will end? I will never get rid of the Desktop environment. I will never use a touch screen for my work/productivity....sorry it is just a stupid idea.

Again.....I am talking about the desktops here. Do not bring up the fact that this change was SOOOOO NEEDED because of tablets. Take a look at the latest OS X. Launchpad is 100% optional, and there is still the Dock. Until there is an official statement from Apple, you cannot make the argument that "OS XI WILL HAVE TO BE the same concept as Windows 8".

Finally, your parents or grandparents get a new computer because their old one dies....it has Windows 8 on it. You expect them to learn TWO COMPLETELY different UI paradigms? Assuming they work, they are most likely using Windows XP or Windows 7. I remember the issues helping people who have Windows 7 machines at home but Windows XP at work.

Most people don't think to use to power button because different OEMs have spent so long customizing what it should do that its created confusion, will it sleep/stand by or shut down?

Because it is. Sleep mode and hibernation are meant to be the new shut down. Especially on mobile devices.

I don't want to hybernate my desktop computer. I have an SSD and so do most of the computers that come with Windows 8, and as you know, hybernation is bad for SSD's.

What kind of GUI do you think we'll be using down the road? If you answer "the desktop", well, you're not going to be right for long. Metro won't last forever, but what do you think will be replacing it?

You have got to be kidding me. Do you HONESTLY think I can program, do VMware, Photoshop, and play games like Crysis 3 or Far Cry 3 on a tablet or a "Tony Stark" computer? C'mon you're killing me.

Or they could just try pressing the power button. Did she really need to shut down?

5 minutes and 33 seconds could have been saved by just pressing the power button on the system.

Are you really saying this? So your telling me you never gone to Start > Shutdown you always used the Power button? Nobody uses the power button and people just forget its even there to turn off the computer but mainly to hard reset or turn on the computer.. and didn't the power button used to only send the computer to sleep..?

Most people don't think to use to power button because different OEMs have spent so long customizing what it should do that its created confusion, will it sleep/stand by or shut down?

Agreed. My last Windows 7 computer was default to Sleep.

But still, saying "just use the power button" is just making excuses for the problem. What if their computer is under their desk? What if it is farther away than arms length? What if you tell somebody that and they hold it instead of pressing it (even though you said press)?

When you are doing phone support and general tech support, you ALWAYS have somebody do that with the OS. It is a 100% guarantee if they click Shut Down....it will be 100% a Shut Down. Not Press the power button...since some might have it set up to sleep.

Wasn't getting snotty; just responding on your comments on how flexibility is a good thing. Except in Windows. You don't like a shell, application, or some other feature on a Linux desktop, replace it! Same argument in Windows? It's total garbage, forget replacing it, bad idea. It comes across as very biased.

Shell replacements usually don't (or at least shouldn't) be replacing system files though, it's literally a quick registry edit to change your shell, the actual software can be located wherever you like. That one shell you're mentioning, if its the one I think you mean, doesn't replace system files, it installs 7's Explorer elsewhere, doesn't overwrite 8's. You can switch on the fly. That aside, it's easy. Two seconds and presto, I can make a console your shell. Or even Notepad. Not that it's terribly useful of course, although there's no Metro start screen anymore, so I guess that's subjective.

I do agree with the current state of third party shells for Windows though... they need a lot of work. (Not that it's Microsoft's fault obviously.) Community for that sort of thing is rather weak on the Windows side, whereas in *Nix various shells are a must unless you you're a console jockey. I did try that Windows 7 shell trick myself a while back.. it's actually pretty decent if you're into that sort of thing, barring a couple minor quirks. Personally, if a user wants the Windows 7 shell that bad, stay with 7. It's supported until 2020, and if XP's any indication, probably longer than that as far as users are concerned... not going anywhere any time soon. Either that or, well, snotty not intended, but the user in question should RTFM or take a few seconds to adjust it to their workflow.

Personally, I somewhat agree with you. I actually do like the new start screen, but it has a few serious deficiencies that I hope they take care of by SP1 before I commit to it full time. My biggest gripe is these stupid videos where they plop down somebody who has zero experience in front of an unfamiliar version of an OS and record it for "the lulz" without even giving them the benefit of at least watching that little tutorial first. Shocker, something's different, people can get stuck. Throw her at a virtual machine running Windows 3.11. Bet she can't figure out how to shut that one down either. Well, safely anyway.

1. Thank You for clarifying you weren't trying to be snotty. I'll admit I was getting out of hand myself and I apologize.

2. I'm not bias, at all. As you stated, 3rd party shells are unstable and need some work. I do not want to try one on a production machine. I'll try one some time in VMware.

3. All right, I'm just going off of what my Uncle told me. I've never tried or looked into that hack myself

4. Thank You for agreeing with me on that. I too understand Windows 8 brings a lot of new features to the table, however needs alot of work. I will stay with Windows 7 for the time being and re-evaluate new Windows releases to see if they work for me. I'm hopeing they will fix a lot of issues in Windows Blue/8.5/9/ whatever they call it.

I am sorry, the Desktop (or similar UIs) will not go anywhere. I have MANY people at work that have dozens and dozens of windows open. They sometimes have 6 windows open per screen. Going from complete free floating windows with no restrictions to a UI that has ANY APP run at full screen (does not matter if it needs it or not) and a 70%/30% two-apps-at-once UI is BETTER?

How? Why? I just fail to see how this is the MUST NEEDED step in computing or else the world will end? I will never get rid of the Desktop environment. I will never use a touch screen for my work/productivity....sorry it is just a stupid idea.

Again.....I am talking about the desktops here. Do not bring up the fact that this change was SOOOOO NEEDED because of tablets. Take a look at the latest OS X. Launchpad is 100% optional, and there is still the Dock. Until there is an official statement from Apple, you cannot make the argument that "OS XI WILL HAVE TO BE the same concept as Windows 8".

Finally, your parents or grandparents get a new computer because their old one dies....it has Windows 8 on it. You expect them to learn TWO COMPLETELY different UI paradigms? Assuming they work, they are most likely using Windows XP or Windows 7. I remember the issues helping people who have Windows 7 machines at home but Windows XP at work.

So, people in science fiction (which often drives technology development) aren't getting work done? Star Trek? Avatar? Nothing? You're argument makes no sense. It leaves little room for any development. You really think the PC will just stagnate with the desktop? Think again... This change was brought to unify platforms. There's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

So, people in science fiction (which often drives technology development) aren't getting work done? Star Trek? Avatar? Nothing?

Do you see Picard Photoshoping on LCARS? You have to realise sometimes real life technology trumps science fiction tech. For example, the Communicator vs. the iPhone.

Most computers shipping with Windows XP and up have been able to power down just by pressing the power off button without Windows crashing or whatever.

• Like 2

I work at a software development firm, we are all on windows 8. Many of my co-workers do not know how to print pdf documents and they honestly think there isn't a way to do so. As a developer and more importantly as a graphics designer it is apparent that this is poor design on microsofts part. Once learned its not an issue but it is NOT intuitive at all.

I work at a software development firm, we are all on windows 8. Many of my co-workers do not know how to print pdf documents and they honestly think there isn't a way to do so. As a developer and more importantly as a graphics designer it is apparent that this is poor design on microsofts part. Once learned its not an issue but it is NOT intuitive at all.

I'll agree there, even some of Microsofts own Windows 8 apps aren't even preinstalled with Windows. You have to go find them in the "Store" (like Remote Desktop app etc) and the location for printing is terrible!

So, people in science fiction (which often drives technology development) aren't getting work done? Star Trek? Avatar? Nothing? You're argument makes no sense. It leaves little room for any development. You really think the PC will just stagnate with the desktop? Think again... This change was brought to unify platforms. There's nothing wrong with that.

Not sure if you're being serious or...

Obviously, fictional technology isn't reflective of actually getting work done. The mundane reality of "work" is usually left out of the movies. Not sure many people would enjoy watching the mundane reality of life.

There is a major conforming to reality portion of bringing fictional tech to real life... But I'm sure you're well aware of this.

• Like 1

I'll agree there, even some of Microsofts own Windows 8 apps aren't even preinstalled with Windows. You have to go find them in the "Store" (like Remote Desktop app etc) and the location for printing is terrible!

Uhh...why would NEED the RDP app from the store when the standard Remote Desktop is built in to Win8?

Not sure if you're being serious or...

Obviously, fictional technology isn't reflective of actually getting work done. The mundane reality of "work" is usually left out of the movies. Not sure many people would enjoy watching the mundane reality of life.

There is a major conforming to reality portion of bringing fictional tech to real life... But I'm sure you're well aware of this.

Tony Stark did it without a start menu...with a box of scraps!

Uhh...why would NEED the RDP app from the store when the standard Remote Desktop is built in to Win8?

I hate to say this but the metro app actually performs better than the old one. I never thought I would use it but I find its easier and faster to switch between different terminals than the default one. Only if it played better with multi-monitors. :(

• Like 1

I always love the "press the power button on the system" argument.... maybe I can't easily get to the system? Maybe my power button isnt' working? maybe my dumb OEM made the power button a sleep only button (yes ive seen that before...) heck for me to shut down my system instead of just start shutdown from the menu I have to bend down under my desk to get to the system.. i have my system set to turn on automatically every day at 7am and off when i turn it off... never have to touch the thing...