Mum vs Windows 8 - attempting a shutdown

Millions of people press the power button? Since when? I have never seen anyone do that, and I do IT help desk. Pushing a physiscal power button is the hard way. I want to shutdown the computer via software...you know...like we are soposed to?

Have you completely lost the plot? Pressing the power button IS exactly the same as doing it via the menu, but is far easier and makes far more sense! It's exactly the same procedure as switching off virtually every single electronic device from time memorial. You're clearly not a good IT Help Desk worker if you insist on making users do it the hard way. Get a grip!

How about a tutorial on how to search?

Hasn't changed, just bring up the start screen and start typing. Exactly like previous versions of Windows... just bigger. About as braindead as it gets.

How about switching your desktop so that your files play with desktop apps rather than Metro apps?

Install a new player and it'll pop up a prompt saying that you have a new program that can open ____ files, assuming the installer didn't make it the default for you during the installation to begin with. Not only just like before, but even easier because it asks you.

• Like 2

The Power button is Magic! :) LOL I mean it work since what 5+ years nowl. I have mine set to sleep on 7 and on 8

Add another 10 years to those 5.

So instead of taking 3 minutes of your day to teach him to use start screen you install a start menu and help him not have to learn anything. Sounds like great IT work to me

In WW's defense, if a person likes the convenience of the Start menu, then even if you show them the charms bar, they may prefer the location and familiarity of Start8. That is great IT work.

Comptia should add windows 8 to the exams. Being on this site and seeing how many "IT" people have issues it would be funny to see how many actually know computers and how many just barely got through the exam.

Again, your flamebait mistakes their criticism for inability. Most are quite familiar with the how's, thank you very much. This coming from a NON-IT people is simply laughable and arrogant.

This isn't a tech forum anymore. Show me the last tech post. Even the front page editorials are anti-windows 8. And its not a love everything MS or GTFO, its a "Lets make a anti-windows 8 thread and everyone post there like most tech sites do" kind of thing.

I don't think they are anti-windows 8. They are discussing things they don't like in the upgrade to their OS. With development on Blue and 9, it's a good discussion. The good and the bad.

Even the guy who made the video has it running on 3 monitors, lol. I absolutely understand some of the people who miss the Start Menu (based purely on numbers, the millions of casual users probably never used it much), and the Start Page, and the dual personality this intermediate bridge UI seems to have for many. Shutting down though, not so much. I just don't see it as an issue. But there are many who don't mind Modern UI Search which I think is abysmal. It's all worth discussing, that's what forums are for. People that can't discuss or even debate civilly should just look for another thread.

I don't get how some users (on here especially) hate everything about Windows 8 yet can never STFU about it.

It's quite fascinating.

Yeah, in a Portuguese forum there's a guy that since Windows 8 was announced that keeps bashing how useless everything is except the performance gains. He also posts random negative news quotes in all that is Windows related, even if it's from tabloids.

Honestly, it's like Microsoft killed his cat or something and now he's determined to pursue a vendetta against Microsoft. He's like the anti-Dot Matrix but x100.

Indeed, it's quite fascinating how much some people hate Microsoft, despite using their products every single day.

I get people who are stuck with IE6 at work or something, but those who have a choice, seriously, go away or be happy living in the past with Start 8 or Windows 7 and stop bothering the rest of us that think Windows 8 is a change for the better.

I don't get how some users (on here especially) hate everything about Windows 8 yet can never STFU about it.

It's quite fascinating.

Probably because their OS and platform of choice is going somewhere where they hate everything and they want to be heard, and see how others feel. Few hate "everything" though I have seen some.

Would anyone read anything if everyone like everything on Neowin?

This is expected with a new version of a popular OS, or a new OS...people won't know how to use it. For example if your mom liked Windows XP and you put OS X or Ubuntu for example in front of her, im sure she would get just as confused.

Probably because their OS and platform of choice is going somewhere where they hate everything and they want to be heard, and see how others feel. Few hate "everything" though I have seen some.

Would anyone read anything if everyone like everything on Neowin?

So they should send their "complaints" to MS. Whining incessantly on here does ZERO.

Oh please.... you are one of the most vehement anti-Windows 8 trolls on here (along with a couple of others). Dot Matrix is entirely right in what he says.

If someone doesn't like an operating system that doesn't automatically make them a "troll" or anything else for that matter, if you like windows 8 that's completely fine and more power to you, I would never try to change your mind or insult you for it however the same can't be said for you and many of the others who like windows 8, many of you almost act as if you are defending a religion.

Have you completely lost the plot? Pressing the power button IS exactly the same as doing it via the menu, but is far easier and makes far more sense! It's exactly the same procedure as switching off virtually every single electronic device from time memorial. You're clearly not a good IT Help Desk worker if you insist on making users do it the hard way. Get a grip!

So now you're going to insult me because I don't agree with you right? I'm not the one that needs a grip. Stop being such an ass. I shouldn't have to shut down my PC with hardware. Period, end of story. Ask any system admin or die-hard tech. The last time I shutdown by flipping a switch, I was using DOS. Also, I have an SSD. I don't want to hibernate or sleep my machine, as it is bad for SSD's. I fully realize I could change what the power button does, but why would I want to? Start -> Shutdown done. You're over complicating a simple task.

So they should send their "complaints" to MS. Whining incessantly on here does ZERO.

Depends on what you classify as whining. This video, I can see that. I don't buy any staged videos pro or con. But if that's what people want to talk about, either I contribute pro or con, or I leave them be. Freedom of opinion, and the right to express it and seek out like minded.

Yeah, in a Portuguese forum there's a guy that since Windows 8 was announced that keeps bashing how useless everything is except the performance gains. He also posts random negative news quotes in all that is Windows related, even if it's from tabloids.

Then he doesn't exactly hate "everything" does he. One thing I've learned the more I've participated in the forum, it is IS international and people from different cultures communicate differently. Many people outside the US actually give weight to their grandmother's PC literacy. In the US, not so much and as soon as I see someone posting a vid of a senior citizen on a PC I discount it, pro or con. In my world, seniors really don't care that much about PCs and definitely don't get involved in Windows usability testing.

Depends on what you classify as whining. This video, I can see that. I don't buy any staged videos pro or con. But if that's what people want to talk about, either I contribute pro or con, or I leave them be. Freedom of opinion, and the right to express it and seek out like minded.

Then he doesn't exactly hate "everything" does he. One thing I've learned the more I've participated in the forum, it is IS international and people from different cultures communicate differently. Many people outside the US actually give weight to their grandmother's PC literacy. In the US, not so much and as soon as I see someone posting a vid of a senior citizen on a PC I discount it, pro or con. In my world, seniors really don't care that much about PCs and definitely don't get involved in Windows usability testing.

That's why I said "except". But even that is filled with hate. For example, a post of his would be something like "The only good thing about Windows 8 are the performance gains, but you have to get rid of Metro, otherwise it's worse than Windows 7."

About people from diferent cultures, I can see what you're getting at, around here no one seems to care about older folks using PC. At least no one mentions it. I usually do mention it, but I'm... lets say "culturally challenged". Although the truth is, the vast majority of seniors in Portugal are from a generation that don't even get what the Internet is.

That's why I said "except". But even that is filled with hate. For example, a post of his would be something like "The only good thing about Windows 8 are the performance gains, but you have to get rid of Metro, otherwise it's worse than Windows 7.

Sounds like he prefers Linux, lol. You never know how old a person is either, could be a kid. A lot of people don't like Metro, he's just a little more simplistic and direct in his expression.

Really though, when there are killer Modern UI apps, that will make everything acceptable. Right now, it's just not there and people are focusing on the UI changes, and some of them are irritating (my experience) but not showstopping. There is a rushed/unpolished feel that some perceive, myself included, and it does appear the RTM outpaced developers. When the apps come, all will be forgiven. Having said that, it's time for me to upgrade to CS6 (Win32) and the new 64-bit Photoshop engine.

Sounds like he prefers Linux, lol. You never know how old a person is either, could be a kid. A lot of people don't like Metro, he's just a little more simplistic and direct in his expression.

Really though, when there are killer Modern UI apps, that will make everything acceptable. Right now, it's just not there and people are focusing on the UI changes, and some of them are irritating (my experience) but not showstopping. There is a rushed/unpolished feel that some perceive, myself included, and it does appear the RTM outpaced developers. When the apps come, all will be forgiven. Having said that, it's time for me to upgrade to CS6 (Win32) and the new 64-bit Photoshop engine.

Correct, apps are still missing. Sometimes one app is enough to change you whole opinion about Metro, I've seen it happen with a cousin and an app from a Portuguese cable provider, which is fantastic.

If someone doesn't like an operating system that doesn't automatically make them a "troll" or anything else for that matter, if you like windows 8 that's completely fine and more power to you, I would never try to change your mind or insult you for it however the same can't be said for you and many of the others who like windows 8, many of you almost act as if you are defending a religion.

I laugh at how he states Dox Matrix is "entirely right", like only Dot Matrix of all people would be right on how billions of people use their Windows machines.

I laugh at how he states Dox Matrix is "entirely right", like only Dot Matrix of all people would be right on how billions of people use their Windows machines.

I believe he is pointing how that I made a statement about change. In which, yes, I am right. Things change. There is no constant in computing, not even the desktop GUI.

At least on the forums there is the occasional catharsis from getting it out. Expecting MS to listen or respond is even more of a fool's errand. As was also noted, this is a new level of annoyance for many as it signals a business change as much as a technical one. Even the biggest haters (unless they are not of the MS tribe) generally like most of the changes.

The frustration is the attitude of the apologists. Some criticize Win8's design choices, others criticize the user, still others attack people with decades of experience as stupid and unwilling simply because they think the execution of certain features and design choices leaves a lot of room for improvement. I'll let you guess which is which.

All the while humming that 'change is inevitable', as if only their genius could seize onto such a hollow and worthless statement.

• Like 3

That's a horrible analogy and you know it. I'm not the biggest Windows 8 fan, but to argue that it's been gimped in such a way is preposterous, or even insinuated that's what I meant at all.

I also find it ridiculous that you're basically coming up here and claiming your parents and grandparents are incapable of learning. My grandmother is about to turn 68 and handles this stuff just fine, hell I got her set up using Spotify and ripping/burning CDs. I also teach 60+ age groups at work how to use this stuff on a daily basis at work, seeing as I sell computers for a living at the moment.

This thread is based on a stupid video where the guy dumps his mother on a product she knows nothing about only to laugh at her. That's my beef with all this. You don't have to like Windows 8, that's fine, I'm not the biggest fan of it either, but this argument is just weak.

No, I am making that argument to people that say "Microsoft can do WHATEVER they want with their product". While that is true, if it has a MASIVE backlash, businesses WILL AND HAVE to revert some of their decisions. I made that argument to show a case (yes I know rather extreme) that developers are not immune and can do whatever they want.

Oh I am sorry, do you know my parents and grandparents? I KNOW them.....they are my parents and grandparents after all. I have dealt with their issues in the past, I know what they can handle and if they will get confused. Did I say they are incapable of learning? I taught them how to use Windows 7 just fine....but Windows 8 will just confuse them.

I have already said many times I like Windows 8. I bought two copies and no longer have a Windows 7 install at my house. I prefer Windows 8. So I guess now if somebody makes a couple of complaints about something, they automatically hate it?

1) The hot corners. These damn things are so annoying when trying to do professional work (and general work on the desktop). I have NO need for them. I think it is a legitimate complaint. I have seen MANY MANY other people do the same thing. Even clients when they want to show me something. Yet, with the attitude here, I was told I simply "SUCK" at computers. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY you should EVER ACCIDENTALLY activate those hot corners. I mean come on, I am sitting here trying to do my work and I have a REAL COMPLAINT about the software, yet I am still being attacked. Oh also "Learn to use your mouse" is another response I have received.

2) Start - Shut Down. I am NOT talking about the Start Menu. But they should have put the Shut Down button in the Start Screen because that what everybody has in their head (Start - Shut Down).

Thank god for Start8, just for the ability to disable the corners and Start - Shut Down. Again, I have no need for the Start Menu aspect of it, and I do not really care, but I do like Start - Shut Down better than the existing way.

I believe he is pointing how that I made a statement about change. In which, yes, I am right. Things change. There is no constant in computing, not even the desktop GUI.

Why can't you just accept that many of us (unlike yourself, apparently) will continue to use the desktop GUI for years to come, whether it be on Windows, OS X or Linux, not because we're resistant to change, but because the Desktop offers a superior computing experience for certain tasks. At some point something better might come along. but Metro isn't it.

My wife is not really much of a computer user anyway, but she did try Windows 8 for a few days and then made me stick Windows 7 back on her computer, Windows 8 broke almost the little that she had figured out to do on a computer, She didn't hate it but she didn't understand it.

Yeah, unless someone else sets up the computer...

4 steps I meant to say...W7 is 2 steps...

1. swipe charms bar.

2. Click settings

3. Click power

4. White dialogue pops up that says reboot, hibernate, or shut down.

Still only one more "step" than Windows 7.

1. Move mouse to lower left corner

2. Click Start

2. Click Shutdown or Arrow that gives you a popup dialogue that says restart, hibernate, sleep