LINUX is NOT easy!

Windows update installed a worm?

yep. I e-mailed microsoft about it and they called me by phone to talk about it. This new cd update thing is PROBABLY because of that. I would guess they found something indeed. Probably some crackhead employee thinking he could do a lot of harm

Well... what goes wrong? Is there an error message? Dependency failure...?

Also, if you hate RPM's so much, you can simply download the source of an application you want, compile it, and make your own install. ;)

dude, that sounds way harder! why don't they have a simple execuation file to install stuff? like in windows and apple, make my life easier.

Ok, first things first: How exactly are you trying to install RPMs? Are you using "rpm -Uvh xxrpmnamexx*.rpm" or something else?

Secondly, many people believe compiling and installing from the source is much easier.

Finally, if you really believe that Linux is not for you (too hard, trouble installing things), whatever the reason, and you are not thinking of giving the OS another chance, you should seriously consider going back to something like Windows/OS X. By the way, a curious little fact, OS X is Unix based ;)

i know that OSX is UNIX base, so WHY can't it be as easy as OSX??? can't people write auto installers? i hate compliing, that sounds compliccated. like i have to know programming or seomthing. why can't they just make a complied file already that i can just download?

Try Debian or Gentoo then. Debian will download every file (in binary form) needed and all you have to do is type a single line. Gentoo is the same way except it's from source (scripted too, so it's nice and easy).

yep. I e-mailed microsoft about it and they called me by phone to talk about it. This new cd update thing is PROBABLY because of that. I would guess they found something indeed. Probably some crackhead employee thinking he could do a lot of harm

You should sell the story to news outlets, they'd have a field day with that and you could rake in some big bucks.

i know that OSX is UNIX base, so WHY can't it be as easy as OSX??? can't people write auto installers? i hate compliing, that sounds compliccated. like i have to know programming or seomthing. why can't they just make a complied file already that i can just download?

um - RPM is basically an autoinstaller. I would really like to see the errors your getting. And exactly what RPM's your trying to install??

As far as dependencies - your going to have that with any OS your using, if you do not have any subsystems that the PRM (program) your trying to install needs. Just like in windows if the game your trying to install needs DirectX 9 and you only have 7 - game will not work correctly. Or if you need the .net framework, or you need a VB6 dll, etc.. etc..

I really fail to understand what your problem is - is typing rpm -i or -u nameofrpm.rpm so MUCH harder than clicking on an exe??? I am quite sure that most of the linux distros gui's have a RPM management tool, never used them much - but I know Redhat has one atleast.

And you mention that compiling is is too complicated - have you tried it??? Gentoo's emerge is quite simple - how hard is typing emerge nameofsomething??

I would guess that your problem is - that in the linux world, its taken that the user has some idea to what they are doing. And some clue to how it all works - and if they do not, they will read the documentation that is written.

If you having errors with getting an RPM to work correctly - how about posting the errors your getting, etc.. and we can tell you what your doing wrong. VS complaining that LINUX is TOO HARD. Why can't it be like windows, etc.. etc... etc...

Also, if your using mandrake, use URPMI to install the package, (if it came from Mandrake or any of its sources). I use URPMI all the time and it finds the dependices for me. urpmi mozilla will either download or ask for the cd that mozilla was included in and install it for you.

Seriously, some things can be frustrating in Linux if this is the 1st time you are using it. But plug away at it. I found that Linux install was no different from the Windoes 9X installs I did, and the 1st few 2000 XP installs I did. After you have done the installs and worked with them you will find that you start feeling more at home with it.

anyone completed dling and installing Fedora 1.0 yet? im dlin it right now.. should be finished in a couple hours! hopefully it is as awesome as the 3rd core build seemed to play itself to be

which reminds me.. anyone just starting out on linux.. i'd recommend fedora because the installer is almost completely automatic.. and then new install gui is beautiful and functional.. and it's a good distro in my opinion (that is said with anticipation that the final is even better than the 3rd beta was) so go for that.. and like every linux guy in here has said.. the interface is only difficult (or basically, as simple) as you make it..

um - RPM is basically an autoinstaller. I would really like to see the errors your getting. And exactly what RPM's your trying to install??

As far as dependencies - your going to have that with any OS your using, if you do not have any subsystems that the PRM (program) your trying to install needs. Just like in windows if the game your trying to install needs DirectX 9 and you only have 7 - game will not work correctly. Or if you need the .net framework, or you need a VB6 dll, etc.. etc..

I really fail to understand what your problem is - is typing rpm -i or -u nameofrpm.rpm so MUCH harder than clicking on an exe??? I am quite sure that most of the linux distros gui's have a RPM management tool, never used them much - but I know Redhat has one atleast.

And you mention that compiling is is too complicated - have you tried it??? Gentoo's emerge is quite simple - how hard is typing emerge nameofsomething??

I would guess that your problem is - that in the linux world, its taken that the user has some idea to what they are doing. And some clue to how it all works - and if they do not, they will read the documentation that is written.

If you having errors with getting an RPM to work correctly - how about posting the errors your getting, etc.. and we can tell you what your doing wrong. VS complaining that LINUX is TOO HARD. Why can't it be like windows, etc.. etc... etc...

where do i type "rpm -i or -u nameofrpm.rpm"? i am supose to type that in Konsole? do i have to change directory into the file? i am confused with the README files. i am trying to install GAIM. i did exacly what it say but it keeps on getting so much errors. how do you extract files from tar.gz? i want a CLEAR explaination on how to install this crap. the README assumes you know the basic and they say it's just a genralt explaination to install the software on all distro, how do you like prperly extract file and using console and stuff. i can use windows DOS, but this is just soo frustrating.

um - RPM is basically an autoinstaller.  I would really like to see the errors your getting.  And exactly what RPM's your trying to install??

As far as dependencies - your going to have that with any OS your using, if you do not have any subsystems that the PRM (program) your trying to install needs.  Just like in windows if the game your trying to install needs DirectX 9 and you only have 7 - game will not work correctly.  Or if you need the .net framework, or you need a VB6 dll, etc.. etc..

I really fail to understand what your problem is - is typing rpm -i or -u nameofrpm.rpm so MUCH harder than clicking on an exe???  I am quite sure that most of the linux distros gui's have a RPM management tool, never used them much - but I know Redhat has one atleast.

And you mention that compiling is is too complicated - have you tried it???  Gentoo's emerge is quite simple - how hard is typing emerge nameofsomething??

I would guess that your problem is - that in the linux world, its taken that the user has some idea to what they are doing.  And some clue to how it all works - and if they do not, they will read the documentation that is written.

If you having errors with getting an RPM to work correctly - how about posting the errors your getting, etc.. and we can tell you what your doing wrong.  VS complaining that LINUX is TOO HARD.  Why can't it be like windows, etc.. etc... etc...

where do i type "rpm -i or -u nameofrpm.rpm"? i am supose to type that in Konsole? do i have to change directory into the file? i am confused with the README files. i am trying to install GAIM. i did exacly what it say but it keeps on getting so much errors. how do you extract files from tar.gz? i want a CLEAR explaination on how to install this crap. the README assumes you know the basic and they say it's just a genralt explaination to install the software on all distro, how do you like prperly extract file and using console and stuff. i can use windows DOS, but this is just soo frustrating.

Yes, in the konsole. Yes, change dir with cd /location/of/rpm

To extract tar.gz:

tar xvfz file.tar.gz

um - RPM is basically an autoinstaller.  I would really like to see the errors your getting.  And exactly what RPM's your trying to install??

As far as dependencies - your going to have that with any OS your using, if you do not have any subsystems that the PRM (program) your trying to install needs.  Just like in windows if the game your trying to install needs DirectX 9 and you only have 7 - game will not work correctly.  Or if you need the .net framework, or you need a VB6 dll, etc.. etc..

I really fail to understand what your problem is - is typing rpm -i or -u nameofrpm.rpm so MUCH harder than clicking on an exe???  I am quite sure that most of the linux distros gui's have a RPM management tool, never used them much - but I know Redhat has one atleast.

And you mention that compiling is is too complicated - have you tried it???  Gentoo's emerge is quite simple - how hard is typing emerge nameofsomething??

I would guess that your problem is - that in the linux world, its taken that the user has some idea to what they are doing.  And some clue to how it all works - and if they do not, they will read the documentation that is written.

If you having errors with getting an RPM to work correctly - how about posting the errors your getting, etc.. and we can tell you what your doing wrong.  VS complaining that LINUX is TOO HARD.  Why can't it be like windows, etc.. etc... etc...

Ok, here are the basic steps to get GAIM to work.

Un-tar the file using this command (in Konsole):

tar -zxvf xxnameoffilexx.tar.gz

I'm assuming you're installing an RPM. Install the RPM with this command:

rpm -Uvh xxnameofrpmxx.rpm

Then, since you're using Mdk 9.1, just go to Networking>Instant Messaging>GAIM.

Please post any errors you're getting! There are numerous advanced Linux users on Neowin who would be glad to help you out. :)

When was the last time anyone who knew what they were doing caught a virus/worm on their PC? Patch and run AV/firewall...not terribly difficult.

When was the last time that anyone who new what they were doing so afraid of Linux? I guess when you've be stuck with winders' all of your life-sure it seems easier, better, and maybe prettier than linux (that you've only spent about 10 minutes with)-sorry, back to the point. Granted, keeping windows secure isn't that hard, as long as you run windows update once or twice a day. When in a linux-windows flame war we tend to overlook the annonyances that we put up with in each OS, like in windows-a critical update or two per week is a little much, and in linux installing anything can be overwhelming to an ususpecting newbie, or at least it was for me.

When was the last time that anyone who new what they were doing so afraid of Linux? I guess when you've be stuck with winders' all of your life-sure it seems easier, better, and maybe prettier than linux (that you've only spent about 10 minutes with)-sorry, back to the point. Granted, keeping windows secure isn't that hard, as long as you run windows update once or twice a day. When in a linux-windows flame war we tend to overlook the annonyances that we put up with in each OS, like in windows-a critical update or two per week is a little much, and in linux installing anything can be overwhelming to an ususpecting newbie, or at least it was for me.

I'm not afraid of Linux, I just find no point to leaving Windows now that ninety-suck is a thing of the past.