Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheLegendOfMart

Spielberg and Hanks go back to WW2?

17 posts in this topic

]Steven Spielberg[/b] and Tom Hanks are heading back to World War II on HBO for a third time. We first got wind of another follow-up to Band of Brothers and The Pacific back in October, when HBO executives Michael Lombardo and Richard Plepler told press they were considering a third miniseries in a similar vein. At the time, we knew only that the new show would focus on aerial battles over the Pacific. Now the subject matter is coming into clearer focus as the project has secured the rights to Donald L. Miller?s book Masters of the Air: America?s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany. Read more after the jump.

Slashfilm

Sorry not my formatting, I just copied and pasted.

Loved Band of Brothers I try to watch it once a year every year, was disappointed with The Pacific, I hope they can recapture some of the magic that made BoB so amazing.

2 people like this

I have to agree. Band of Brothers was awesome; by far the best film on WWII. The Pacific was weak in comparison. I hope they learn from their mistakes.

I loved BoB but hated Pacific so I hope its 3rd time awesome! :D

YES! Have been talking with some friends about the need for a European air theater setting for years. This would be fantastic.

Band of Brothers is a masterpiece. Pacific had too much to live up to, unfairly. It was good in its own right.

2 people like this

Did you folks not watch all of The Pacific??! I thought it was incredible.

Admittedly it was slow to start & overall perhaps weaker than Band Of Brothers, but it's high points were certainly at least on par with those in Band Of Brothers.

1 person likes this

Awesome!!! I'm glad that "part 3" will be back in Europe. I can't wait for this!!!

Time for another blu-ray box set!

Did you folks not watch all of The Pacific??! I thought it was incredible.

Admittedly it was slow to start & overall perhaps weaker than Band Of Brothers, but it's high points were certainly at least on par with those in Band Of Brothers.

So, it was "perhaps weaker than Band of Brothers" and yet also "on par with Band of Brothers" at the same time?

And, yes. I watched every episode of The Pacific. I found it completely lacking in getting me attached to the characters or any emotional feeling. Unlike BoB, which was so well done you can't help but respect and feel emotion for the main characters in everything they encountered. With Pacific - I was ready to turn it off, but sat through it hoping it would get better. Unfortunately, it never did. Lucky for me, the series wasn't too long.

1 person likes this

Don't get me wrong, I've very very excited for this... but I've always thought they should do something following the USS Enterprise during WW2. That carrier saw so much action its like the perfect choice to follow a naval ship.

So, it was "perhaps weaker than Band of Brothers" and yet also "on par with Band of Brothers" at the same time?

You've pulled those quotes out of the context of the full sentence, which completely misrepresents what I meant.

And, yes. I watched every episode of The Pacific. I found it completely lacking in getting me attached to the characters or any emotional feeling. Unlike BoB, which was so well done you can't help but respect and feel emotion for the main characters in everything they encountered. With Pacific - I was ready to turn it off, but sat through it hoping it would get better. Unfortunately, it never did. Lucky for me, the series wasn't too long.

Fair enough if it didn't connect with you. I specifically felt emotionally enaged with Eugene Sledge and how he developed over the course of the series.

Band of Brothers and The Pacific were both wonderful. Great pieces of art, but also great lessons of war. I loved them both as much as I love Saving Private Ryan. Although, the European theater captures my interest more than the Pacific theater.

I cannot wait for this! :laugh:

O yes! can't wait for this! Need to get The Pacific on blu ray!!

Awesome news. The first two was amazing.

Slashfilm

Sorry not my formatting, I just copied and pasted.

Loved Band of Brothers I try to watch it once a year every year, was disappointed with The Pacific, I hope they can recapture some of the magic that made BoB so amazing.

last year when I was recovering from my surgery, i watched band of brothers. on heavy narcotics was freaky. But that was my old unit, the 101st, the 501st parachute regiment"gliders". Alot of our boys died in those gliders when they crashed. it was a mess. but the battle of the bulge was a huge standoff and they fought bravely. My wifes grandfather was an artillery man who got there after the big battles were over and the germans surrendered.I had to learn alot about the battles my unit fought in. whever we had promotion boards and soldier of the qtr/yr awards boards, we had to know what the unit has been involved in, in terms of battles.

I have not seen either so thats something for me to do this weekend lol

Excellent can't wait, I own BOB on Blu-Ray, so hope this new one is just as good. Didn't enjoy watching the Pacific at all. It never came close to BOB for me.

Which was a shame as I was excited for that.

Loved BoB, never saw The Pacific because...only recently i knew it's existence :blush:

BoB had a very good character development every episode, one of the reasons it was so good (also the action sequences were very good).