the battle - DSL or CABLE

i have had adelphia cable for about 5 months now. and recently they upgraded us to 3mbps. and i pay $58 USD per month.

and yesterday verizon announced that DSL is finally available. and at almost half the price of $35 USD per month + plus modem and shipping fees. :/

for $35 i have an idea what my speed will be.. and i think it's 1.5 mbps :no:

i'll look into the speed and pricing later on, but what's most important to me now is the how good of a service does Verizon provide? so if you guys have verizon DSL can you let me know what their service is like?

funny.. tomorrow is the day my DSL is activated. I've had cable broadband for ..wow.. a while? not sure how long. 2 years? more? anywho, i'm fed up with it. I dont know what i'm paying 48/mth for. on peak times (aka. when everyone's home and online) my download speeds drop terribly. i'm sick of it, so I'm moving to DSL for the first time ever.

not sure why you recommend "keep away from DSL". i'm going to wager the single and only reason is because you have cable.

funny.. tomorrow is the day my DSL is activated. I've had cable broadband for ..wow.. a while? not sure how long. 2 years? more? anywho, i'm fed up with it. I dont know what i'm paying 48/mth for. on peak times (aka. when everyone's home and online) my download speeds drop terribly. i'm sick of it, so I'm moving to DSL for the first time ever.

not sure why you recommend "keep away from DSL". i'm going to wager the single and only reason is because you have cable.

It really depends on your carrier. Here on Long Island you'd have to be a dummy not to get Optimum Online over Verizon DSL.

My best advice is to go to http://www.dslreports.com and read the reviews for your specific cable and DSL Carriers in your area and make a decision.

If you're still not satisfied go ahead and get both and see which works best for you.

i'm gonna have to make this choice in a month. no more university bandwidth for me...

i always thought that if you lived in a rural area, and didn't share your connection with a lot of people, cable was better, and if you are in the city where peak times are bad, dsl is better. is that still true?

I have 512k DSL now, for $39 a month, and will be switching to comcast cable at 1500k for $42 a month :p

I know 2 other people who have it around here, and they get 2.5+ Mbit speeds :p

I've had DSL through verizon for about a month and I am definately a very pleased customer. Especialyl from going from a networked 56K connection to a straight DSL I am deifnately one hapyp camper LOL and not in the gaming sense either

mines 1.5/768 for 39.95 a month

ummmm...sure he probably does have cable...but that doesn't change the facts....DSL provided over telephone lines utilizies PPPoE protocol which is in its infancy...it uses software compression to give the user a "high-speed" connection...you have to install the PPPoE protocol to use DSL provided by the telcos...but there is no such protocol for cable users.

its not exactly correct to assume that because there are more active users in a given neighbourhood using the cable connection...this will automatically slow down everyone because cable is a shared entity...when that does occur...the cable company simply adds more hardware at their headend location to commensate for this heavier use.

if you are noticing a degradation in speed at some hours...its because this cable operator has not been keeping up their equipment to handle the desired loads for a given neighbourhood.

I had BellSouth DSL for about a year, had several problems with it, I was under contract for a year too :angry:

Once the contract was up, I got cable, and since then NO more DSL for me, its Cox all the way.

if you are noticing a degradation in speed at some hours...its because this cable operator has not been keeping up their equipment to handle the desired loads for a given neighbourhood.

and thus the reason why i'm leaving it.

both cable and dsl in my area cost the same, and cable is rated 1.5/192 and dsl is 1.5/365

or something like that. at any rate, same cost, same download, faster upload with dsl and no slow downs due to too many users makes the choice pretty clear for me in my area at this time.

pls dont confuse my posts for trying to say one is technically better than the other as thats not what i'm trying to do.

and thus the reason why i'm leaving it.

both cable and dsl in my area cost the same, and cable is rated 1.5/192 and dsl is 1.5/365

or something like that. at any rate, same cost, same download, faster upload with dsl and no slow downs due to too many users makes the choice pretty clear for me in my area at this time.

pls dont confuse my posts for trying to say one is technically better than the other as thats not what i'm trying to do.

I used cable first, it was good. Went to DSL, and it sucked. It was slower, not even consistant, put some ugly noise on my phone line. I went back to cable and have not looked back. Oh, and they cost the same around here too.

I was on RR for 22.95 a month, now EL for 29.99, maybe I will switch back to RR for 35.00, thier prices went up... :(

DSL is unmetered, no matter what they say, they cant see how much Bandwith ur using. (for ADSL n e ways) Cable is faster but they check everything, and is kidna annoying.

I used cable first, it was good. Went to DSL, and it sucked. It was slower, not even consistant, put some ugly noise on my phone line. I went back to cable and have not looked back. Oh, and they cost the same around here too.

I was on RR for 22.95 a month, now EL for 29.99, maybe I will switch back to RR for 35.00, thier prices went up... :(

cool. well, thats the point in my trying out DSL for a while, so I can form my own opinions about which I like better. its nice having opinions and feedback from everyone, but in the end, I'll decide for myself :)

is that true?

can someone comment on BW issues (in the US). they don't put caps, do they? is there a "suggested" limit? as in, don't download too much, or we will start looking into what you are doing?

is that true?

can someone comment on BW issues (in the US). they don't put caps, do they? is there a "suggested" limit? as in, don't download too much, or we will start looking into what you are doing?

I don't have any Caps or Metered usage Normally. In fact I can download GigaBytes a day if I please. However if you upload too much they will cap you.

I think my record was 5GB in 1 Day. Never got a cap or any excessive usage fees.

my choice would be dsl over cable, but thats just cause i was on cable for about a year throught one of the worst providers i have heard of. Omineca Cablebvision; comes complete with sub 56k speeds and even a weeklong downtime every couple months!! then i switched over to dsl from telus and i have so far in the span of one year had two 1 hour downtimes.

i'm gonna have to make this choice in a month. no more university bandwidth for me...

i always thought that if you lived in a rural area, and didn't share your connection with a lot of people, cable was better, and if you are in the city where peak times are bad, dsl is better. is that still true?

In my experience it's almost backwards. I was living in a very heavily populated part of Boston last year, and had a cable line. It never lost speed, and was insanely fast for its top end. On the other hand, I've heard of people living in little heighborhoods complaining about cable service. It really comes down to how many lines the provider pulls to your area, but if you're in the suburbs and theres one line for a few streets worth of houses, DSL is probably the way to go.

There are a few reasons why I choose DSL. There are also a few things you guys have to learn.

For starters, who cares that DSL uses pppoe? Seriously, you pull a fact out and have no idea what relevance it has, other than the fact that cable doesn't have it. Second, DSL speeds are dependant on your distance from the telco's switching station. Third, if you're complaining about static on the phone line and you have a box full of weird telephone adapters that you thought were "extra" or "unecessary" then you have no buisness being near a computer.

Cable has built in firewalls, that don't respond to pings. Which means during online games such as EA's Red Alert 2 where you must join a channel in order to pick your team, your ping shows as 1000 and it's very likely that you will be kicked by the host as 56k users often use software firewalls to hide 300ms+ pings. This will not however affect your actual ping times. If you are within the Telco's maximum distance from a switching station then DSL is more reliable than cable for speed, as it's guaranteed. If you are further than their max reccomended distance, speed and quality degredation is possible and gets worse as you go further. Often times when I was on Cable during the day I would get 20k/sec but at 3 or 4am I would get 380k/sec (wow, is this what I'm paying 50$/month for?) so far with DSL I get 360k/sec all the time (as long as the server I'm downoading from can handle it). Downtime is not a problem either, other than the huge blackout it's been great. Right now this computer has been connected for 3weeks and 6days.

I suggest you try them both for a month, then decide. Personal experiences are just that, personal. They differ from location and person.

My Total Download/Upload For October Was: 152.17GB (according to DUMeter)

Personally I have had good luck with DSL. Consistancy is more important to me than peak speed. For instance, if I spent thousands of dollars on a sports car, I would want one that was fast all the time, not one that was normally slow but on a certain day at a certain time it would all the sudden have a boost in horsepower.

I came to DSL from 56k, so I cannot exactly compare the 2, but I can tell you it is very fast. The nicest thing is that my connection is always constant, the speed never changes. I currently have a 1.5mb connection for about 5 dollars a month. The same connection in cable would have been about 15 for me. So the price is definetly worth it also. You might also want to check if you get a deal through the phone company that you already use if you sign up with their DSL package.

There are many determining factors that you might want to consider, but for me, I use the internet fairly regularly. This primarily consists of browsing web pages, downloading applications and music, checking email and playing games. They have all been extremely fast.

For instance, the server that I play CS on is in a different country, yet I still have lower pings than people right next to it. Some there get pings above 100 yet mine is consistently around 50 to 60. If you ask me, that is amazing speed. I don't care how many mb's my connection is, but that is where I primarily want the speed and it is definitely there.

Other places I have noticed it is streaming media. No more waiting for it to download first, I just start the playing and the download goes faster than the movie, so it just works like it is supposed to.

DSL is the way to go IMO just because of the price and consistency of the connection. Again though, I have never tried cable before but I have never run across anything where I wished I had a faster connection. Remember also, that if you are experiencing slow downloads or anything like that, you can only get it as fast as they can serve it. Not everything depends on you connections.

Often times when I was on Cable during the day I would get 20k/sec but at 3 or 4am I would get 380k/sec (wow, is this what I'm paying 50$/month for?)

I suggest you try them both for a month, then decide. Personal experiences are just that, personal. They differ from location and person.

thats totally how I feel about my cable right now. this is what I'm paying for? at times when i want to use it, its slow, but when its 2-7am damn is it fast. for instance, i saw insane speeds on Halloween night at 8pm. i can only figure its because far less people were online, because the next day, sure enough, back to slowness.

thanks for the post :) looking forward to trying out DSL. (oh..and i'll be sure to install the phone filters lol)